Sneaking into lectures? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm going to the university of Sydney for their modern history study day on Friday June 13. I don't often have the opportunity to visit universities as Sydney is a five hour trip from where I live, so I'd really like to go see a lecture. So my question is, are you allowed to just walk in and sit down, or do you actually have to be enrolled in a course? Will anyone be able to tell if I'm not enrolled (do you need a student card to get in or something)? Thanks!

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
You should be allowed to take a seat in the lecture, and unless the lecture involves some form of examination, they generally don't ask for student cards

Enjoy your modern history study day :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
You should be allowed to take a seat in the lecture, and unless the lecture involves some form of examination, they generally don't ask for student cards

Enjoy your modern history study day :)
Thanks! :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yep; even at UNSW, you are able to walk into lectures (and sometimes tutorials) without being questioned (as long as you're not disrupting people from learning)

Kittikhun

HSC
Sorry to spoil the fireworks, but the day when you're going to uni is during uni exam time, so there will be no lectures at USYD (which is the reason why they're holding the MH study day at that time). You can look up uni history lectures online though on youtube. Nevertheless, I've been to that MH study day back in 2010, and I have been to uni, and to be frank with you, the lectures they give on the MH study day aren't any different from lectures at uni.

Also, walking into lectures you're not enrolled in only works when the class is big. If you walk into a 3rd year history class lecture with only 25 students, the lecturer will notice and will politely tell you to piss off. Also, in 2nd year history courses and onwards, the lecturer knows everyone in the course, so the only history courses you'll be able to crash are first year ones at uni.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry to spoil the fireworks, but the day when you're going to uni is during uni exam time, so there will be no lectures at USYD (which is the reason why they're holding the MH study day at that time). You can look up uni history lectures online though on youtube. Nevertheless, I've been to that MH study day back in 2010, and I have been to uni, and to be frank with you, the lectures they give on the MH study day aren't any different from lectures at uni.

Also, walking into lectures you're not enrolled in only works when the class is big. If you walk into a 3rd year history class lecture with only 25 students, the lecturer will notice and will politely tell you to piss off. Also, in 2nd year history courses and onwards, the lecturer knows everyone in the course, so the only history courses you'll be able to crash are first year ones at uni.
maybe OP can plan the lecture s/he wants to go to? Isn't there the USYD equivalent of this: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/subjectSearch.html

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I sneaked into a psych tute. Tutor asks me a question. Geegee bois. Bail 4 dayz.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
i went into a first year accounting lecture with a friend just to chill. this was week 11 and the lecturer asked me some random question about accounting and i gave a BS answer and apparently it was right. pretty win.

SuchSmallHands

HSC

Thank you so much! Might not have been so great if I accidentally snuck into an exam. I'm disappointed, but still thank you for telling me!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Fun Fact: MIT release most (if not all) course lectures and materials for FREE on the internet. So theoretically; you could study a degree at MIT for FREE

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Fun Fact: MIT release most (if not all) course lectures and materials for FREE on the internet. So theoretically; you could study a degree at MIT for FREE
No paper at the end.

We pay uni for paper work more than anything really.

Btw, I know at UNSW some lectures are on youtube on UNSW tv.

I think it would be the same for USyd.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
No paper at the end.

We pay uni for paper work more than anything really.

Btw, I know at UNSW some lectures are on youtube on UNSW tv.

I think it would be the same for USyd.
But MIT has all of most courses. You're not necessarily right about the no exam in the end. There is an exam available at the end (and throughout) the course but it does not count for any credit. Its fun to learn something new, I did energy economics and the was very interesting

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
But MIT has all of most courses. You're not necessarily right about the no exam in the end. There is an exam available at the end (and throughout) the course but it does not count for any credit. Its fun to learn something new, I did energy economics and the was very interesting
What I meant by paper is that you don't get a certificate saying you have a bachelor's degree or something.

You will still be known to have only graduated high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)