So how much work have you done in your holidays? (1 Viewer)

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Ahh i really haven't done a thing. I go to a private school so I really should have done more. I was in Thailand for the first 2 weeks, so I'm thinking in the New Year is when I'll really buckle down and get things done. I'm okay with English Adv as my teacher has always made sure that our class stays ahead, but for Eng Ext 2 we have our first draft due in the second week and I haven't written a word :( Need to review all other subs and start writing notes as well. Good luck everyone else :p

HSC
5 past papers for Ancient History and finished Ancient history notes for first topic (This week was for Ancient history lulzz)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Eshays, just chilled, went to see some a league games and chill with mates so goood. My break is over now though, time to get into topic 1 notes, read ahead for next topic and do some revision :D

CaffeineMotor

HSC
I'm so glad I've read this thread now, for the past 3 weeks I have done the bare minimum. Only really started doing some maths and PDHPE homework as well as writing up my term 4 notes for Mod His and PDHPE. Now I don't feel so bad XD

Seeing as it is week 4 on Monday (for some of us) I will take everything serious from then on and turn this into a working holiday :(

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Some physics notes and the 4U maths marathon thread, that's basically it.

Oh and a bit of reading for English.

Examine

same
HSC
Finished my English AOS essay
Started themes and challenges notes for Legal
Finished first of a two part research task for Economics
Went through graphs for MX2
Played lots and lots of games.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I said to myself I was going to have a break until NYE, but I kinda got into holiday mode and slacked off way more than i should have. I was away for two weeks in Jan also, so I didn't do any school work in mid Jan. I think the main thing I focused on doing was my English portfolio for AoS as it was like a 25% assessment.

My advice is set specific goals for your study these hols THAT ARE REALISTIC but don't go too hard out at this point. I set massive lofty goals that weren't realistic, which meant they didn't get done. You don't want to be burnt out come Trials time or worst, the actual HSC (I had little motivation left for the actual HSC, the time when you want to be the most focused). I think the problem with my break is I got out of the habit, I think the best would be a little each day if you want to do some work, consolidate things from the 1st term and perhaps look ahead (i.e read your English texts or have a sticky at next module). But it's not a time based thing, it's better to do an hour of focused study in the morning with a goal(Like do these 10 maths questions) than to leaf through your Mod His folder for a few hours aimlessly.

Point is, there's plenty of time in the HSC year to do all the work you want to get done and more, I was away for 2 weeks in summer holidays, and most school time/most of the winter holidays in June/July and I still had enough time to get my work done with many extracurriculars and still have time in the year to slack off on occasion and watch a season of 30 Rock/procrastinate. It's all about balance and the long term effort :p

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I think I said to myself I was going to have a break until NYE, but I kinda got into holiday mode and slacked off way more than i should have. I was away for two weeks in Jan also, so I didn't do any school work in mid Jan. I think the main thing I focused on doing was my English portfolio for AoS as it was like a 25% assessment.

My advice is set specific goals for your study these hols THAT ARE REALISTIC but don't go too hard out at this point. I set massive lofty goals that weren't realistic, which meant they didn't get done. You don't want to be burnt out come Trials time or worst, the actual HSC (I had little motivation left for the actual HSC, the time when you want to be the most focused). I think the problem with my break is I got out of the habit, I think the best would be a little each day if you want to do some work, consolidate things from the 1st term and perhaps look ahead (i.e read your English texts or have a sticky at next module). But it's not a time based thing, it's better to do an hour of focused study in the morning with a goal(Like do these 10 maths questions) than to leaf through your Mod His folder for a few hours aimlessly.

Point is, there's plenty of time in the HSC year to do all the work you want to get done and more, I was away for 2 weeks in summer holidays, and most school time/most of the winter holidays in June/July and I still had enough time to get my work done with many extracurriculars and still have time in the year to slack off on occasion and watch a season of 30 Rock/procrastinate. It's all about balance and the long term effort :p
This exactly - you know, there are benefits to taking it easy. Sometimes rest can be just as important as study.

Magical Kebab

HSC

+1

And also what enoil said. I've heard this many times but the feeling of being re-energized at the start of term 1 would really feel good. Imagine that vs feeling burnt out/tired, maybe not even performing to your max. in the half yearlies.

Study, but not too hard, is what I've heard.

enoilgam

HSC
how the hell do u burn out anyway
It's not really "burn out" - burn out refers to something else. Basically, it occurs when people work too hard too soon and run out of energy quick. Like with anything else, when you work hard on study you eventually become tired and your productivity starts to naturally decline. When you feel your productivity decline, this usually causes your motivation to wane and therefore your willingness to work. Pardon the cliché, but the HSC is like a marathon - you need to pace yourself so you can maintain satisfactory productivity throughout the year but especially towards trial/HSC time.

Last edited:

kazemagic

HSC
It's not really "burn out" - burn out refers to something else. Basically, it occurs when people work too hard too soon and run out of energy quick. Like with anything else, when you work hard on study you eventually become tired and your productivity starts to naturally decline. When you feel your productivity decline, this usually causes your motivation to wane and therefore your willingness to work. Pardon the cliché, but the HSC is like a marathon - you need to pace yourself so you can maintain satisfactory productivity throughout the year but especially towards trial/HSC time.
lol oh well lets c if i burn out
anyways what ive done so far:
2 chapters of exercises in cambridge
around 10 sub chapters in fitzpatrick
half way thru prelim chem and phys

barley did anything for eng :( need to start reading soon, honestly ive no idea wat to do with english lol

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
lol oh well lets c if i burn out
anyways what ive done so far:
2 chapters of exercises in cambridge
around 10 sub chapters in fitzpatrick
half way thru prelim chem and phys

barley did anything for eng :( need to start reading soon, honestly ive no idea wat to do with english lol
If I haven't burned out then u won't :).

RishBonjour

HSC
you never burn out for maths (haven't heard of anyone yet) so do that as much as you want. the rest you can lose motivation for quite easily (for me, this was AFTER trials - most crucial time- didn't do anything other than english lol).

You have plenty of time in your holis. even if you're nerding 8 hours study a day, you have time to go out etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)