SO - How'd the 04-erz do?? (1 Viewer)

Jacks

HSC
I think they just give you one mark, which takes into account both your reflection statement and your major work. It is for this reason that I was always warned not to rush my reflection statement or anything like that, because although you have a certain word limit overall you must stay within, I was always told that it is always better to cut from your major work than your reflection statement. Obviously within reason, but at least not to rush the reflection statement. I could be wrong though...

Jacks

HSC
makes perfect sense. In other words you can have the world's best major work but if you have a crappy reflection statement it will still most likely show in your marks. So in other words you have to have a good major work with an equally as good a reflection statement to score highly. Advice to those of you who have just started research, writing etc, don't sacrifice the quality of your reflection statement for the quantity of your major work, if that makes sense....do both justice! :)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
The other thing is, if there is a huge discrepancy in marks between you and the others in your class in relation to your marks.

eg: Ranked person 1 gets 48 for internal and 39 for external
and ranked person 2 gets 42 for internal and 47 for external

then its possible that there was indeed a clerical error in entering marks into the database and :. a re-check would then be very worth it.

I wonder though in those circumstances, would ranked person 2's marks be taken away and swapped? or would they just stay the same?

HSC
N/A
*shudders at the thought of that*

Anyway, I was also told that you get one mark for both the RS and MW (I also got all the lectures about not rushing my RS either. I did it in a week... I'm such a good listener, aren't I?).

rinney, I would imagine that for EE2, anything between and including (wishes they had the above and including sign on the keyboard) 45-50 is a Band 6, I believe.

Post-note (as opposed to Confucious) says: Lynn is making like a duck, and following Justin in getting her MW marks checked.

Jacks

HSC
A band 6 is 90%+ so yes 45-50 would be within the top band...though it's called E4 or whatever instead...but still the equivalent of a band 6. ;)

HSC
N/A
Disclaimer:

Lynn would like to let everyone know that she is dumb and considers all subjects - whether 2 unit, 1 unit, or mythical 0.5 unit subjects to be able to be marked on a scaled of Band 1 -6

:p

J

jhakka

I'd like to announce that I fought the board, and the board won. No more marks for me. Bastards.

Jacks

HSC
really?? Did you get any sort of letter explaining why? If so what did it say? Don't be too upset over it though...:) I didn't think you'd get a reply so soon...

J

jhakka

The Board of Studies "We're bastards" letter said:
21 December 2004

Mr J Deli
NSW ...............

Student Number: .........

Dear Mr Deli

I refer to your application seeking a recheck of your Higher School Certificate.

Officers of the Board of Studies have undertaken the recheck of the couses listed at the conclusion of this letter. The recheck has confirmed that your Higher School Certificate results, as awarded, are correct. As a consequence, no variation to your examination results will be made.

Yours sincerely

(signature)

Rob Speers
Director, Examinations

Courses:
1 Unit English Extension 2
And in invisible ink under that there was "PS: Merry Christmas. Here's a rope."

On the upside, I suppose, everyone I talked to about it thinks I deserve more.

HSC
N/A
*nod*

I like your MW, Justin. :)

I'm now re-thinking that re-check (haven't posted off cheque yet). I don't need need the extra points, but getting a letter like that could seriously take my good mood down a notch or two.

Screw the BOS Justin, you can still do just as well without its support.

Karlz04

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Disclaimer:

Lynn would like to let everyone know that she is dumb and considers all subjects - whether 2 unit, 1 unit, or mythical 0.5 unit subjects to be able to be marked on a scaled of Band 1 -6

:p

I agree. Id it realy that hard for the extension and mythical subjects to continue up into bands 5 and 6?!

I still think Im going to apply for a recheck. I came first in my class and the person who came third (with an assessment mark of at least 5 below me) ended up a few marks higher than myself. I wont get my hopes up though.

HSC
N/A
:eek: mum sent off the cheque today.

No backing out now!

I will be torn if I get the letter back and they say yet again that my major work was only worth 35 externally. But hey. I'll go down fighting, claws extended and everything.

Jacks

HSC
ah their letter was all so helpful in its explanation, in that it of course gives none. I'm sure you did deserve more, a lot of people who I have spoken to who scored badly did, and then there was my brother who I think got an external mark of 15 or so...now that's way harsh...he didn't do a written piece though...but I listened to what he did as it was an audio recording thing and I would have given him more than he got!

Jacks

HSC
glitterfairy said:

No backing out now!

I will be torn if I get the letter back and they say yet again that my major work was only worth 35 externally. But hey. I'll go down fighting, claws extended and everything.
Well at least you know the letter you'll get, my thought is if they knock your appeal back they will merely substitute the name...don't be torn I know it sucks but really don't let them kick you when you're down...if you think you deserved more than you most probably do...so just burn the letter, silently hate them and move on...hehehe... ;) Seriously though you should take the course for what you can get out of it, the enjoyment, the challenge and a major work you like yourself, so if you can place a tick next to all of those things you have enough cause to be happy and proud of yourself :)

Karlz04

HSC
glitterfairy said:

No backing out now!

I wouldnt worry too much. As long as your proud of what you wrote. Not everyone likes every genre. Thats what was pointed out to me. Its so easy to get a marker that doesnt like the story because the couldnt "get into it" sinply because its not their prefered area. Its not fair, but thats the way it is. Im not suggesting that teachers base their marks ONLY on the genre, but Im sure most would agree that if you dont like the genre, chances are you wont rate the book/work as high as if you absolutely loved that style. Sorruy for rambling, lol.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
My friend got nominated for Art Express for his film and got 95 overall in art - I thought his film for extension was much better and yet his external mark was in the 30s. Strange, huh?

Karlz04

HSC
Doesnt surprise me actually. Generally, Ive found art teachers look at art differently to English teachers. It would kind of be like an Art teacher marking an english paper. Art is "weird" in the sense that what someone considers great my look..not so good to someone else, and vice versa.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Trigger189 said:
My friend got nominated for Art Express for his film and got 95 overall in art - I thought his film for extension was much better and yet his external mark was in the 30s. Strange, huh?
I dont think its that strange... for a start you arent a marker for either subject, and both subjects are marked against a separate criteria.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
super katie said:
for a start you arent a marker for either subject
I know that....

And you two misunderstand me. It's not like he handed in the same film, in fact they're completely different. My point was that he's a great film maker, as indicated by a mark for another film he made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)