So my piece of shit laptop died. (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
dude you can get a mbp for $1250 with a student discount

13" base model

You can go even cheaper and hook yourself up with a mba for like $1000 or less

Just print shit out at uni (I get super mega fri printing at uni so eat shit and die)
But printing at uni $$$ and MBA doesn't have a disk drive.

Last edited:

QuantumIllusion

HSC

13" base model

Just print shit out at uni (I get super mega fri printing at uni so eat shit and die)
The new mbp has amazing display, they call it retina display and it is thinner than older mbp, but yeah, you can always get the smaller ones for cheaper.
Currently I have a massive computer that I built myself, not portable at all (has 10 fans in it and water cooling system hehe) so I might save money and buy mbp.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The new mbp has amazing display, they call it retina display and it is thinner than older mbp, but yeah, you can always get the smaller ones for cheaper.
Currently I have a massive computer that I built myself, not portable at all (has 10 fans in it and water cooling system hehe) so I might save money and buy mbp.
GOOD FOR YOU!

That doesn't help me at all

HSC
Uni Grad
1. How do I rip the hard drive out of it and get all my shit back?
i'll do it for ya :)

2. What laptop should I buy?
I'm either looking for a cheap and portable laptop, AND a desktop that is good for performance, OR a laptop that is nice and light and portable and good on performance.
My budget is about $1.5k and I can add a few hundred to that over a few weeks.
Also, I can't get a MacBook because my beautiful laser printer doesn't have a driver for macs. But I could possibly get an iMac and then dual boot for printing or get a small netbook for work during uni hours + printing.
Also, my mum is a TAFE teacher and I'm a uni student so I can get whichever one of those has a better discount for Apple stuff, and then go to dicksmith, etc. and get a better discount.

Yay!

Thanks nerds. :)
macbook air

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
2. What laptop should I buy?
You asked for laptop suggestions, where a MBP was suggested. You said you couldn't get a MBP in your original post, but I'm guessing your opinion changed since then because of the following post:

If only I didn't need a computer for the beginning of semester I could save ~2000 in around 12 weeks and get a MBP.
Then, QuantumIllusion replied with a point that you could get a MBP for a cheaper price by getting a smaller one. lolsmith also raised the same point.

13" base model

Quite relevant to your situation. However in response to QuantumIllusion's post, you say:

GOOD FOR YOU!

That doesn't help me at all
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your post above isn't warranted.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your post above isn't warranted.
~selective reading~ (as you put it the other day)

Also, the smaller ones don't have the "amazing display" and other things he mentioned.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have an ASUS 13" model and it works great. 10 hour battery life (you will really appreciate this later on) and powerful enough to do all sorts of work-related stuff and youtube etc without any lag at all.

It doesn't have a CD drive though.

HOWEVER, you could get a USB CD-drive, which is usually pretty cheap anyway (around 30 bucks). I suggest you go for this because I did this about a year ago and I love it. Very lightweight as well.

Oh and it cost me ~$700 only.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Btw I picked it up from the actual shop in the City. I forgot what it's called, but the shop is next to where all the Asian photo-sticker-booths are. There's about 10 of those booths concentrated on that one floor, along with some arcade games and the claw-machine.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
How so? I've used mine regularly for the past year and it's all been good. Heaps good for work because it's so portable and lightweight etc considering the price. Not to mention the fact that it has awesome battery life.

Not Galaxy World... not that many arcades, but HEAPS of those sticker-booths.

The ones where you take photos with friends, then draw some stuff on it using the computer, then pay $10 or so for some tiny tiny photos.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
How so? I've used mine regularly for the past year and it's all been good. Heaps good for work because it's so portable and lightweight etc considering the price. Not to mention the fact that it has awesome battery life.

Not Galaxy World... not that many arcades, but HEAPS of those sticker-booths.

The ones where you take photos with friends, then draw some stuff on it using the computer, then pay $10 or so for some tiny tiny photos.
I don't know. He's azn and good at computers so I just listen.

Sounds too azn for me. :/

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've been building and playing around with computers for 5-6 years, I can tell you it's hard to find something matching the specs this laptop for the price.

What's your total budget? Also I just remembered the name: Capitol Square iirc.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
K.

~$1-1.5k

But my friend keeps talking up MBA so I'll probs get it considering I like apple a lot. And I'll just get a nice comp screen or tv screen or something for home. Yay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)