• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

So you think you want a motorcycle? (3 Viewers)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
ZZRs noooo, fairing is expensive. gpx for sure.

to quote the ZZR comparo:

My first impression of the ZZR when it was started was "wow, that sounds identical to a ninja," which is hardly surprising seeing as they share the same engine. Out on to the road and I was immediately impressed by the very powerful front brake and nice firm suspension. All was well in a straight line, the bike felt ultra stable when upright and very smooth, although the acceleration under any throttle setting other than fully twisted on would have seen any ninja fly past it; it felt quite gutless.

First impressions of cornering were that it didnt dip easily into corners at all like the Ninja; it took a lot of physical effort to drag it into a turn which wasnt nice at all. But the most disturbing thing was when moderately leaned into one corner, without any warning the bike gave a kick and tryed to spit me off. I tryed a few more corners with similar results, and just couldnt get the pig to give me any feedback on what was going on with the tyres. Every Ninja I have ridden (and I've ridden a few now) is brilliant at letting me know what my state of traction is; the ZZR gives none of this vital feedback until it is almost too late.

The verdict: when buying a more expensive machine with an identical motor to the 250R you would at least expect some kind of handling improvement or engine performance. The ZZR has neither of these things so dont bother being upset that they dont import them into the U.S.

Laika_

Banned
HSC
Good point, but roadies dont have kick start engines.

Might get the ZZ-r250, bloke said he would even ride the bike to me from wollongong. Thnx for the help.

BTW, if you live in the campbelltown area someones selling a CBR250 but i dont trust the guy selling it, u might wanna check it out.
its an electric start with a very convenient kick start backup

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Im only using it to commute around town, i wouldnt have to exceed 80Km/s anywhere.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
not the point. If you are using at it town having full fairing is even worse tbh imo

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Did a quick search on Bikesales for the GPX, Cheapest was just under 5K. 1988 bike with "0"Km to its engine.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
No you can definitely get them for less. Keep looking. They are like ZZrs but better. My friend got one for $2500 over a year ago now.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Offer him 3K.
Sent him a message, will text him tomorrow if he doesnt reply.

Showed GF and she pointed out dent then said:

"If anyone bags you out you can always say a certain package hit it"

That was funny.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
dude go on bikesales, and do an advanced search for road bikes that are <$3.5k and >250cc.

You'll get a good 400+ hits, order from highest price (because as a rule of thumb those will be in the best condition, given the shit bikes will be going for fuck all) and start calling up. Increase the search budget because almost all sellers are negotiable. Look at ebay too. If you find one you like make an offer before the auction ends and more likely than not you'll get it.

EDIT: dumb gook.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Not many hits for NSW, it doesnt matter anyways, im getting the GPX250.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Bikesales is usually pretty expensive. Very popular, so anything half decent sells quickly. More likely to find something cheap on ebay, autotrader.com.au, local papers in my experience.

This is a pretty comprehensive list of what used 250cc bikes you should look at.

'The standard recommendation for all new riders is to get something unfaired, because if you drop a CBR, a complete set of fairings goes for like $1500 or something ridiculous. Even a standing drop at 0km/h can break fairings and it does happen.

Dirt bikes stand up great to abuse, and are the most fun things to ride around town. That's what I'd get. Something along the lines of XR, KLR, XT etc...

If you want a cheap, reliable, basic roady to get some miles up, before you buy something cool, CB250, GN250, XV250 are all fine. Easiest to learn on, most easy to ride and best value for money. You’ll probably get bored of it and want something more in a month though.

If you want something a bit sporty, GPX, ZZR, across, yamaha zeal, suzuki bandit (strongly recommended), balius, hornet 250.

VTR's are probably the best all-round 250 ever made (not quite as good as spada's, but the spada's are old now). I'd be stoked to own one, and I've been on my full licence for years.
Obviously ZZR and GPX are up there. Every bike mentioned there I've seen for sale for <$3500 in registered, road-worthy condition.

From approximately least to most expensive for typical market prices, not factoring in variability of age and condition-

GN250
CB250
XV250
GPX
Across
Spada
ZZR
Zeal
Balius
Bandit
Hornet
VTR

The CBR125 isn't even close to as good as a postie bike, which are all over the place for ~$1500 in near new condition. Have you considered a postie bike?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Nah, GF's dad is getting one so im gonna laugh at him.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
$4700 budget, minus road costs.

Should i save up a lil longer?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Sprinters in cycling can produce upto 1.6 kW, they weigh about 80 kg and plus the cycle is 90 kg
Overall power to weight ratio is therefore about 17.6 kW/1000 kg.
A CBR125 makes 10kW and weighs 115 kg dry. With rider and fluids lets assume 220 kg.
Power to weight ratio is therefore about 45kW/1000 kg
A GSXR-1000 has 140kW, and weighs 170 kg dry. With ride lets assume 275 kg.
That's a power to weight ratio of 509 kW/1000 kg.

lolllll

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."

251kw/1000kg. More than a Ferrari f430. It's amazing what you can buy for $1700.

I've ridden dirt bikes with firmer front suspension. Squirms under the substantial brakes. Doesn't start too clean, sounds lumpy at idle, I'd say there's a bit of varnish in the carbs. But once you're out on the road, absolute gun. I've ridden a mates FZR and it's as good or better. Near as makes no difference to the original hp.

The next most powerful bike I've owned was only ~164kw/1000kg. I am astonished and terrified.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)