Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
If only Americanz cared about football, and Man U fanz over there have a big enough influence, thiz fuckin kunt would keep hiz handz off.
The Irish pair definitely betrayed all Man Utd fanz.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
This doesn't have anything to do with how much Americans care about football. What's happening to Utd is simply a sad fact of life for floated football clubs. Major shareholders don't care about the welfare of the club, they just want more money.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
It doez matter in a sense. If America cared mo then Glazer wouldn't have gone ahead wit the take over. If Tampa Bay fanz were opposin the take over like the Man U fanz right now would the takeover still have taken place...? I highly doubt it.

I believe a few of the big Italian clubz are also publicly listed in the stock market.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yeah, the reality is that this could happen to any publically listed clubs. Scary stuff.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Here's a good article from an Arsenal fan regarding the takeover. Although it's fun to gloat, not sure this is anything to celebrate. It just further pushes football from a being sport to a "product."

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Yeah I don't agree wit the mo militant Man U fan groupz az well, and I don't think their plan will work out anyway.
Thiz iz certainly worse than the Murdoch attempt to takeover.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Debatable LMF, considering that Murdoch is one of the singly most evil men in the world :p

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Lovely open letter from the man of the moment, Malcolm Glazer:

Dear Soccer fans,

As you all know, I've been looking to buy the United's of Manchester for a little while now. I've also heard that some of you may not be too happy about me using, sorry, buying the club in order to reach new heights and also, that I may not be a fan. Well fear not, as i'm writing this personal letter to let you know that i'm a genuine fan of you blue devils. I began rooting for the United's back in 1992 when our little Malcolm JR was practising those Soccer home runs out in the yard. I loved the way you turned defence into offence, and the way that Bobby Shearer used to top half it into the goal bag. Oh man, that play was hot. My son tells me that you even out-zoned your City rivals Southampton in the 4th quarter of the FA World series. As for your current team, that Rude guy is awesome!!!! I see a profitable future at the United, with the young talent of Cristiano Rooney (man, that guy can dance!) and Peter Shilton giving us hope in defeating the
evil Russian tyranny which assaults the freedom of our beloved Soccer. With the marketing potential of those Neville brothers and that Pearce dude leading the team, we can all look to acheiving our beliefs of a better
future. Especially when I add Alexei Lalas and Cobi Jones to the starting 15. Now to you, the fans. I've been to see the United's play once before, and the respect you pay your team in silently admiring the play out on the pitch was overwhelming. Because of this, i've just purchased a new £45
million mansion in the Manchester to be close to you guys. And more good news is i'm planning to add an extra 10,000 seats through corporate boxes so more genuine blue devils can experience the play. What's with the prawn sandwiches I had to eat when I was there? Well, rest assured, it'll be super size prawn baguettes when I take charge. I can't wait to come over to the Manchester isles, as I love the country, especially the beaches and the hot chicks. I hope you can all see my vision of this future, with new shirt
sponsors (Dunkin Donuts) and new team name (The Manchester Gloom) i'm sure things are looking bright. *Further good news for you guys is that i've just agreed a partnership deal with McDonalds, who will help in promoting the
Manchester brand. This will involve re-naming the stadium to 'McTrafford' as well as an exciting launch of Manchester Gloom plastic fan toys in every happy meal. Cristiano Rooney will be the face of this campaign and during
this, he will be marketed globally as Roonald McDonald. TOUCHDOWN! Take care
dudes.

Regards,

Malcolm Glazier

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Oh and one more bit of good news for Manyoo fans before the night's out:

linkage

United debt could affect Champions League place

Glazer's takeover could jeapordise future participation in Europe

Staff and agencies
Friday May 13, 2005

Uefa have added to the misery of Manchester United fans by stating that any debt imposed on the club by new owner Malcolm Glazer could affect their future participation in European competition.

Uefa's executive committee are expected to approve new, tougher licensing rules in September which are likely to come into force at the start of the 2007-08 season. If Manchester United are heavily in debt at the time their licence could be reviewed and, if it was revoked, they could be refused access to whichever Uefa competition they had qualified for, a spokesman for European soccer's governing body said.

Article continues
Under present Uefa licensing regulations, a club can compete in continental competitions only if it is granted a licence by its national association. This is done automatically as long as the club does not owe money to other clubs on transfer deals or salaries to any of its employees whether backroom staff or players. The licensing rules are currently being revised by Uefa's lawyers who are expected to include new regulations regarding debts to banks.

"The idea is to make the regulations more progressive, but it will not be possible to impose a limit of say, 60m euros of debt across the board because there are so many differences in the finances of all clubs in Europe", announced a Uefa spokesman. "However, if one club was permanently in debt to the banks, and the debt showed no sign of clearing or in fact got bigger year by year, then we would look very closely at that situation and then the licence of that club would have to be reviewed."

Glazer took control of United yesterday after a £790m takeover offer. He has yet to spell out his financing plans but fans fear the takeover will load heavy debt on to the club and have voiced their extreme displeasure at the news of the American billionaire's takeover.

Haha

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Malcolm Glazer's magic
He's got a million bucks
And now he's bought United
They're well and truly fucked!!!

Do you do these yourself Hectic? :p

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Well looks lyk Glazer almost has full control of ManYoo now, the latest news says he has 74.81% share in the business, erm football club :p

Linkage

And on the topic of football & America, the England squad for their US tour has been announced:

Green (Norwich), Carson (Liverpool), James (Manchester City), Campbell (Arsenal), Upson (Birmingham), Brown (Manchester United), G Neville (Manchester United), A Cole (Arsenal), P Neville (Manchester United), G Johnson (Chelsea), Jenas (Newcastle), Downing (Middlesbrough), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), J Cole (Chelsea), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich) Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Smith (Manchester United), Owen (Real Madrid), Crouch (Southampton), A Johnson (Crystal Palace), Defoe (Tottenham)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=333278&cc=3436

Great article by Phil Holland of soccernet. It really puts things into perspective for the United fans, and for all football fans really. If the top 5 teams did decide to sell their own tv rights, we here in Australia can kiss the possibility of SBS gaining the rights to a Premier League with the teams we support goodbye. Of course it's even worse for the smaller clubs. I pray that all that he's predicting won't come true.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
haha ... so is it manchester united soccer club now?
love the sig hectic man usa hahaha ...

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Even though I'm a Man U fan, I wouldn't pay money just to watch their gamez on TV. Sure itz good to watch the team you support, but itz also good to watch other teamz az well. I don't know how the EU can push fo such a deal, it just widenz the gap between the rich and the poor.

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
This reinforces my theory that Americans should be murdered. It's a sad sad day for football.

That Phil Holland article really puts you in a sober mood. Us United fans are on the titanic. We're aboard the biggest ship, which is virtually unsinkable, but by some freak error we're in the middle of nowhere with little option to go down with a sinking ship.

You know your in big trouble when hoping the club will crash and burn, lose it's players, force the owner to walk away and see if it can rebuild in 20 years, is optimism.

Money is the root of all evil people, the root of all evil. And Americans love money. You draw your own conclusions.

Thanks to all you non-united fans out there, who are giving us an absolute pasting (Hectic thanks for your subtlety) and making us the butt of all the jokes -- i'm sure we'd do the same to you.

^___^
HSC
yeah
one reason why Glazier wants Ferguson on the long term again is that the Man Utd don't lose players like Rooney(to Chelsea) and C.Ronaldo(to Real Madrid)
if they don't sign Ferguson, both players will definately leave(unless Man Utd signs Erikkson to retain both youth, since i think he is the next best youth-management coach around)

soccernet wrote an article about the +ve and -ve of Glazier taking over, and the -ve definately outweighted the +ve

i think i'm gonna burn my man utd jersey now...
*goes to rebel sport and buys a Sunerland jersey*

GO YOU BLACKCATS!

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
Ferguson or no ferguson, no one wants to play for an owner who looks suspiciously like a garden gnome.
There's no way I'd convert to one of the other big clubs so i think your on the money supporting teams with moderate dreams. I'm praying Derby or Ipswich make a return to the top flight, if not I'll stick with Charlton as my number 2 (there's another team travelling well, ey).

On more pleasant, less murderous intentions, the relegation battle is going to be a doozy. God loves Southamton on the final days of the season, so i wouldn't mind if he smiled on them because united have nothing to play for and what of the odds of Matt Le Tissier making a surprise entrance and snaring a winner. DOn't say you weren't warned.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Buggdogg said:
Thanks to all you non-united fans out there, who are giving us an absolute pasting (Hectic thanks for your subtlety) and making us the butt of all the jokes -- i'm sure we'd do the same to you.

Meh, you guys sold your soul when you took the easy way out and became a PLC. Greed got you where you are today and it might well bring you down ultimately. You guys are probably overreacting anyway. As long as Glazer doesn't freeze your transfer kitty before you can replace Giggs, Keane and co, you'll still be competitive on the park. Just your fans in Salford may have to pay through the nose for the forseeable future.

You can't begrudge an Arsenal fan who's seen you guys splash out 30 mill on Rooney, Rio et al a bit of a chuckle seeing you guys all pissed off and worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)