• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread 2004 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Originally posted by copious
we need ian walker tackling pitch invaders again!

wasn't his own goal funny enough for you? i couldnt stop laffin at the bloke after that. it was worse than lauren's own goal vs citeh.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
or if we talked about other leagues like the Serie A, Liga, Superliga, Eridivisie, Bundesliga, Apertura, Brasileiro and hell, even the NSL (not that we would, anyway) then there would be plenty to talk about..........

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Originally posted by reynaldo
or if we talked about other leagues like the Serie A, Liga, Superliga, Eridivisie, Bundesliga, Apertura, Brasileiro and hell, even the NSL (not that we would, anyway) then there would be plenty to talk about..........

well on la liga, one player who i reckon is going to be big soon is Mista, the kid looks like a class act already and valencia looked pretty solid too. they can't attack like madrid but theyre safe as when it comes to protecting a lead these days.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
yeah! Valencia have heaps of talent.. especially Oliveira, that kid is crazy. And they have so much attacking width - Salva, Mista (as mentioned), Vicente, and esp. Aimar.. no wonder they didn't need Carew

Other kids i reckon will be big in future are Joaqin Sanchez (Bets) Reyes (former Seville --> Arsenal) Fernando Torres, Jesus Capitan (Capi) and ESPECIALLY Xabi Alonso <------ hes the creative spark for Sociedad (forget Karpin & Nihat, this guys better than them combined) and will be a HUGE star in future.

and to think with all these players, they have always done so poorly internationally... i dont understand it..

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
theyre full of wonderboys in the midfield and forwards, but theyve got no defence. succesful teams are more often than not built on defence and i don't see too many world class defenders going around in spain.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
i only really consider Puyol world class as far as spain is concerned. Some would consider Ivan Helguera in that league also... and when i say some, i mean, very, very few.

you can tell by the type of league whether the particular country has strong defenders. for example the Serie A is a defensive-like league, because there are so many good defenders playing (Nesta, Maldini, Cannavaro, Thuram, Bonera, Chivu, Samuel, Legrottaglie etc..) and Italy has the reputation of manufacturing the best defenders in the game. Spain & Englands leagues on the other hand are more attacking and have less structure, which suggests the game relies on more attacking minded players, even those in defensive positions - i.e. wingbacks. This is the reason why England + Spain don't have the same amount/caliber of defenders as Italy - simply because they don't need them, and, although they would be valuable to any team, they aren't a neccesity, unlike in the Serie A where the ability to contain a wealth of attacking players such as Shevchenko, Kaka, Rui Costa, Adriano, Vieri, Recoba, Del Piero, Di Vaio, Trezeguet, Totti, Cassano, Corradi, Inzaghi x 2, Stankovic, Fiore etc etc etc.. is absolutely essential and the fulcrum of the teams mentality.

people would say Real Madrid are succesful, in spite of having no significant defenders.. and to an extent they are. If your after attacking football, then you'll get it when you watch them. If your after comfortable victories and consistent football week in week out then you wont find it at the Bernabeu or anywhere in Spain. I dont really see it as much of a weakness anymore (having poor defence) since they can more than make up for it in attack.

i think somwhere Valdano best summed it up by saying he would "rather lose by 11-10 than win 1-0" - ie. he's in the game for the entertainment factor soley.

^___^
HSC
eh

playing against real..

its not that hard to beat them

if u have a coach that is tactically smart..u can easily beat real

and i ain't kidding...

the draw for barcelona, the win for juventus is the perfect example

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
In their first international for 2004, the Socceroos will take on Venezuela at the Olympic Stadium in Caracas. The match will be broadcast LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on SBS on Thursday, February 19 at 9.30am (AEST).

how do you guys reckon the socceroos will fair against venezuala?
ALOISI John - Osasuna SPAIN
BRESCIANO Marco - Parma ITALY
CHIPPERFIELD Scott - FC Basel SWITZERLAND
COLOSIMO Simon - Parramatta Power AUSTRALIA
ELRICH Ahmad - Parramatta Power AUSTRALIA
EMERTON Brett - Blackburn ENGLAND
GRELLA Vince - Empoli ITALY
KEWELL Harry - Liverpool ENGLAND
LAYBUTT Steve - Mouscron BELGIUM
LAZARIDIS Stan - Birmingham ENGLAND
MOORE Craig - Rangers SCOTLAND
MUSCAT Kevin - Millwall ENGLAND
NEILL Lucas - Blackburn ENGLAND
PETKOVIC Michael (gk) - Trabzonspor TURKEY
POPOVIC Tony - Crystal Palace ENGLAND
SCHWARZER Mark (gk) - Middlesbrough ENGLAND
SKOKO Josip - Genclerbirligi TURKEY
STERJOVSKI Mile - Lille FRANCE
VIDMAR Tony - Cardiff WALES
VIDUKA Mark - Leeds United ENGLAND

i personally dont know much about the venezualans, so yeah, hopefully the aussies can put this win under their belt before they face sth africa in march in another friendly.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
venezuela have beaten some of Sudamerica's finest recently - Argentina, Colombia, Brasil... - they're not a soft team.

i know a Venezuelan guy, i'll ask him about their side.

stay tuned

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
w00t for Liverpool who finally snuck into the last Champions League place again :D:D. Hopefully with an easier run home than Newcastle and Charton + Baros returning soon, they'll stay there :D

Originally posted by copious
In their first international for 2004, the Socceroos will take on Venezuela at the Olympic Stadium in Caracas. The match will be broadcast LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on SBS on Thursday, February 19 at 9.30am (AEST).

how do you guys reckon the socceroos will fair against venezuala?
ALOISI John - Osasuna SPAIN
BRESCIANO Marco - Parma ITALY
CHIPPERFIELD Scott - FC Basel SWITZERLAND
COLOSIMO Simon - Parramatta Power AUSTRALIA
ELRICH Ahmad - Parramatta Power AUSTRALIA
EMERTON Brett - Blackburn ENGLAND
GRELLA Vince - Empoli ITALY
KEWELL Harry - Liverpool ENGLAND
LAYBUTT Steve - Mouscron BELGIUM
LAZARIDIS Stan - Birmingham ENGLAND
MOORE Craig - Rangers SCOTLAND
MUSCAT Kevin - Millwall ENGLAND
NEILL Lucas - Blackburn ENGLAND
PETKOVIC Michael (gk) - Trabzonspor TURKEY
POPOVIC Tony - Crystal Palace ENGLAND
SCHWARZER Mark (gk) - Middlesbrough ENGLAND
SKOKO Josip - Genclerbirligi TURKEY
STERJOVSKI Mile - Lille FRANCE
VIDMAR Tony - Cardiff WALES
VIDUKA Mark - Leeds United ENGLAND

i personally dont know much about the venezualans, so yeah, hopefully the aussies can put this win under their belt before they face sth africa in march in another friendly.

This will be an interesting little preview between Australia and the team I feel they'll be meeting for 2006 qualification. Then again it's early days yet, so it's not really like the result will mean much...

Last edited:

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Meanwhile
Anyone checked out the EPL table lately
:D

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
man utd v man city, good old local derby. man u 4 - man city 2.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
mmmm.. and now that old fucker Ferguson is blaming the Ref. AND steve McManaman.................. apparently nothing is Man Utd's fault ..... :eek:

^___^
HSC
eh

ferguson admitted that g.neville deserved the red for this dismissal

pfft..not like wenger's defence

"i didn't see it, therefore the ref is wrong as it did not happen"

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Originally posted by ...
eh

ferguson admitted that g.neville deserved the red for this dismissal

pfft..not like wenger's defence

"i didn't see it, therefore the ref is wrong as it did not happen"

FERGUSON BLAMES 'SLOW' WINTER FOR NEVILLE DISMISSAL

Saturday February 14 2004

By Pete Gill
Advertisement

Sir Alex Ferguson has blamed referee Jeff Winter for Gary Neville's dismissal during Manchester United's 4-2 FA Cup victory over Manchester City.

Despite admitting Neville deserved to be sent off, Ferguson claimed that Winter was at fault for being too slow to arrive on the scene. Ferguson has something of a 'history' with Winter, having been sent to the stands by the Stockton-on-Tees official during United's league match at Newcastle United earlier this season.

Saturday's dismissal was Neville's first in United colours. Having collapsed theatrically to the floor under Michael Tarnat's penalty box challenge, Neville beat his fist on the ground in frustration as Winter turned away the full-back's spot-kick plea. The furious City players thought Neville had dived, as did Winter, and Steve McManaman was quick to let him know.

An initial rub of the head turned into something more sinister when Neville lunged forward, Winter brandished the red card and momentarily chaos ensued.

While Ferguson agreed Neville should have been sent-off, the Scot berated the official - who he labelled "a joke'' at St James' Park back in August - for not penalising the dive earlier, a move he believed would have killed the incident completely.

"I have had a look at it,'' Ferguson announced to Sky Sports. "The ref claims he has booked him for diving - so why wait 30 seconds before getting involved?

"McManaman puts his head into Gary, but you can't do something like that. He deserved to be sent off. It was uncharacteristic, and he has let himself down.

"But I can't understand whey the referee was not there quicker. I can't understand it. It was a ridiculous bit of refereeing,'' raged the Scot.

Neville will now miss United's FA Cup quarter-final tie, a Premiership trip to Fulham and the league derby at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Meanwhile, Ferguson had nothing but praise for the way his side raised their game after going a man down.

"I thought in the first half we were outstanding. We could have been three or four up,'' he said.

"The sending-off changed the nature of the game. They had a man extra, but our counter-attacking play in the second half was fantastic - we could have scored five.

"It was a performance of great character, and I am really pleased.''

"We played with patience, and I felt they would have a go. We were terrific on the counter attack.''

"At 3-0, we were playing so well and looked comfortable. They scored and got a bit of life, but it was a fantastic performance.''

The United manager was also impressed with the display of his number one.

He said: "They had a period of 15 minutes after the break. Howard made two great saves - but he has been doing that all season and has made a difference in that area.''

link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)