Social Science (Criminology) (1 Viewer)

adamj

Just wandering if anyone will be doing this course and if so, what are you career plans?

GTR

HSC
I'am currently doing B Social Science (Criminology), and this is the end of my second year. It is an enjoyable course, however be prepared to put in a lot of effort. The workload is extremely high, and the tutors who mark your essays are very strict and will mark according to the guidelines. Criminology at UWS can get you into a lot of places, mainly government jobs. Personally, i think that after i graduate, i will join the Australian Customs...

hello

everyone!!!!:)
HSC
N/A
i want to do it at penrith which is 64.1. i got a uai of 69.1, do you think the cutoff this year will rise over 69.1? do u's think i have a good chance or a not so good chance of getting into it? what is your predicted cutoff for the course this yr?

adamj

Well with a UAI of 82.75, I was pretty much guranteed into SoSc at Bankstown. The UAIs do not jump that much, although UWS has had a history in SoSc of juimping. You can also do some Criminology subjects in Arts.

hello

HSC
N/A
frenchy wat was ur uai? and wat preference was it? coz i dun the same. i hope i get in to it but the cutoff may rise this yr ovr my uai:( i hope not

frenchy

my uai was below the cut off but i thought it was worth a try. If its not popular choice amongst people this year.. maybe it will drop, i put it at 6th.

hello

HSC
N/A
so what course do u frenchy think u will get into? im hoping this social science course at penrith coz the cutoff was like 64 and my uai was 69, u think ill get in?

frenchy

I'm hoping nursing, but i'm really interested in the social science course, so i wouldnt be disapointed if i got it but i doubt i will.
I dont think the course will rise that much, so i'm sure you'll get in easily!

Dingo

Banned
good luck fellow uws comrads... i hope you all get in to your desired courses in the coming up release of the main round offers..

peace^^

adamj

GTR, how does the course have an extreme workload? Are the exams harder than usual? Are the assignmnets excessive?

I have to be sure I make the right decision, becuase I want to do the course with a Diploma in Law (Part time external mode).

adamj

Who got into this course, I am happy tos say I did, and after to speaking to many, its actually a very good course, I like the fact that I can have variety with all Social Science Units.

GTR

HSC
Okay, the workload is pretty intense, even if you have come straight from the HSC. You would not find yourself under as much pressure as the HSC, but the motivation to work gets ultra load due to a lack of feedback from your lecturers and tutors.
You will get a course outline and you will have to manage your time carefully. The main thing is not to procrastinate and leave it to the last minute, because you never have time.

The other problem is finding the readings. Every week, you will have something to read for all four subjects, and providing you can access them in the course reserve or if you are lucky webCT, you will still have a lot to read. Don't skimp on the reading because when it comes to exams, you will cop it hard.

If you choose Criminology as your major, you will still have to do other subjects within the Social Science units, external to the criminology major. This means that you can choose subjects in the field of psychology or sociology e.t.c.

Assignments are not overly excessive in first semester, but you will notice a dramatic change in the second semester, first year. The second semester Crime subject is a level 300 subject so it is much more demanding, and you will HAVE to do your readings because there are 2 in class exams. They are very hard as well and you will have to start early. The best is to do your readings every week. The referencing format is really complicated and you will have to adapt to that. Whats scary is that if you don't reference properly, they will give you zero and accuse you of plagiarism. You will have to find reliable sources, not just some website with unauthentic information. Bad if you have just come from the HSC and use to bullshitting (especially in English).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)