some questions (1 Viewer)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Hi I have a few questions:

1) what text book should I buy for extension 1?
2) how does one study for this subject? just memorise quotes and themes like year 7-10?
3) how many essays should I do each week?
4) how long should one dedicate time to this subject each week?
5) is it a big step up from year 7-10 english?

thanks xx

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

2) how does one study for this subject? just memorise quotes and themes like year 7-10?

thanks xx
:haha:

Fiction

HSC

thanks xx
For me:
1) n/a
2) Just study it like you would do for eng adv. TBH there's not really much of a difference between eng adv and eng ext other than the latter has longer essays
3) ... As many as you like? It all depends on how much you're struggling/how good at eng you are
4) I haven't dedicated any time to the subject (or any more than any other subject) other than when assessments are dued. Like I've mentioned before, you're still writing essays and creatives for the subject - just like eng adv. So just study it and dedicate as much time to it as your eng adv.
5) Personally I didn't find the transition hard - there's little to no boundaries between year 10-11 eng (at my school), other than actually having to read through content given to you by a teacher. We're really lax on everything though, but we still do OK. To give an indication -my school fluctuates between top 10-15, with our eng mark ranks higher than our actual school rank (majority of time).

Dude don't stress. You're still in year 10. As long as you have a relatively good foundation of essay + creative structures + language forms and features, you'll do fine. Remember to ask your teacher for hints on how to correct your boo-boos when you get your assignments/assessments back.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
For me:
1) n/a
2) Just study it like you would do for eng adv. TBH there's not really much of a difference between eng adv and eng ext other than the latter has longer essays
3) ... As many as you like? It all depends on how much you're struggling/how good at eng you are
4) I haven't dedicated any time to the subject (or any more than any other subject) other than when assessments are dued. Like I've mentioned before, you're still writing essays and creatives for the subject - just like eng adv. So just study it and dedicate as much time to it as your eng adv.
5) Personally I didn't find the transition hard - there's little to no boundaries between year 10-11 eng (at my school), other than actually having to read through content given to you by a teacher. We're really lax on everything though, but we still do OK. To give an indication -my school fluctuates between top 10-15, with our eng mark ranks higher than our actual school rank (majority of time).

Dude don't stress. You're still in year 10. As long as you have a relatively good foundation of essay + creative structures + language forms and features, you'll do fine. Remember to ask your teacher for hints on how to correct your boo-boos when you get your assignments/assessments back.
Thanks for typing it all up :)
Really there isn't? wow just wow! so no excel books?
so would 1 essay per week be suffice?
we'ere gonna start some year 11 work next week cos our year 10 exams had just finished. so yeah.
so should I get tutoring for english?

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
From what my friends told me, EE1 does take a lot of your time which is the double the amount of work for any non-extension subject since it's one unit. So be prepared to be attacked with lots of homework to do including submission of creative writing and essays. They also mentioned that it is a lot more conceptual and you have to utilise your lateral thinking skills so it's different to the advanced course where it fosters a formulaic approach (if that makes sense lol). With that said, if you are committed and enjoy EE1, you should be fine.

And in my honest opinion, doing one essay per week can be a drag when you have other subjects to focus on too. I'd say do one per month but that's how I work for studying English in general haha.

It depends - how confident are you in your writing abilities? We can't know for sure whether you need tutoring for English; it's something you need to find out for yourself.
thanks for typing it all up :)
so would a formulaic response be- intro- paragraph 1-2-3-4-conclusion? and would a paragraph be -topic sentence- example-technique/explanation-linking sentence?
ok how does one get 95+ in english? is it by doing heaps of practice essays and handing it to a strict marker to give feedback and utilizing the feedback or by tutoring and rote learning? i'm better at creative writing than normal essays does that help at all in this course?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

thanks xx
Depends how many essay writing subjects you do?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for typing it all up :)
Really there isn't? wow just wow! so no excel books?
so would 1 essay per week be suffice?
we'ere gonna start some year 11 work next week cos our year 10 exams had just finished. so yeah.
so should I get tutoring for english?
Not worth getting tutored for English, time would be better spent on writing practice essays/paragraphs and handing in to teacher to mark.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Yeah, that sounds fine with what you're doing for English.

To get 95+ is entirely dependent on the individual, some could just cram the night before and do well through BS, others may adapt a memorised essay edited over time. But... in order to do well in English, I would say:

- Know what markers what in critical responses
- Break down the rubric looking for the keywords
- Maintain textual integrity
- Ensure good essay structure
- Answer the question
- Have appropriate use of vocabulary.

With the last dot point, keep in mind that it's better to have sophistication of ideas (i.e. original) than convoluted language that stems from delving into the amalgamation of ideas that manifests from a hodgepodge pastiche (see what I mean?)
what do you mean by this???

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Formal definition of texrual integrity by bos: unity of a text, it's coherent use of form and language

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I did EE1 in Year 11 so I can offer some thoughts on it.

1. No textbook(s) are needed for any level of English really... I mean you are supposed to find textual evidence from the actual prescribed text(s) and good analysis will come a range of non-textbook sources - e.g. your teacher's ideas, your own ideas, etc.

2. Yeah, probably just practising and refining your essay(s) (remembering ideas and quotes/techniques i.e. textual evidence) and creative.

3. To begin, it's best to analyse and look at the text as a whole. Then later on, after a few weeks, you would prepare essays. Before an exam or assessment, I'd recommend:

At least drafting it first then refining/editing it at LEAST twice then learning how to adapt this generic/prepared essay or ideas/textual evidence as a whole to different type of questions. This can be done in the matter of 2-3 weeks before an exam. The more refining you do, the better your chances are for a higher mark.

4. There's no optimal amount for EE1 really.

Depends on the individual.

5. Not really. The principles of essay writing are still the same.

They just expect more.

But tbh, I thought Advanced and EE1 were similar in terms of difficulty (sometimes, I found EE1 easier even...). I approached both subjects in a very similar fashion in terms of essay writing.

However, EE1 tended to have more emphasis on context... contextual values... compared to Advanced.

Otherwise, it's still English in the end :haha:

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I did EE1 in Year 11 so I can offer some thoughts on it.

1. No textbook(s) are needed for any level of English really... I mean you are supposed to find textual evidence from the actual prescribed text(s) and good analysis will come a range of non-textbook sources - e.g. your teacher's ideas, your own ideas, etc.

2. Yeah, probably just practising and refining your essay(s) (remembering ideas and quotes/techniques i.e. textual evidence) and creative.

3. To begin, it's best to analyse and look at the text as a whole. Then later on, after a few weeks, you would prepare essays. Before an exam or assessment, I'd recommend:

At least drafting it first then refining/editing it at LEAST twice then learning how to adapt this generic/prepared essay or ideas/textual evidence as a whole to different type of questions. This can be done in the matter of 2-3 weeks before an exam. The more refining you do, the better your chances are for a higher mark.

4. There's no optimal amount for EE1 really.

Depends on the individual.

5. Not really. The principles of essay writing are still the same.

They just expect more.

But tbh, I thought Advanced and EE1 were similar in terms of difficulty (sometimes, I found EE1 easier even...). I approached both subjects in a very similar fashion in terms of essay writing.

However, EE1 tended to have more emphasis on context... contextual values... compared to Advanced.

Otherwise, it's still English in the end :haha:
thanks for typing this all out :)
so what textbooks do you recommend? excel?
what did they expect more of? sophisticated vocb? understanding of context?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
so what textbooks do you recommend? excel?
what did they expect more of? sophisticated vocb? understanding of context?
Nothing.

They expect you to write a proper essay basically. Backed up with solid textual evidence and in the case of EE1, understanding of contextual values too.

You don't need sophisticated vocab to do well. Vocab should be natural rather than forced~

lpodtouch

HSC

thanks xx
1) A textbook is by far superfluous; you should be able to integrate your own perception of the text, in conjunction with teacher resources, online notes, etc.
2) Studying for EEI is generally sustained - your teacher will expect you to draft essays and creatives as part of its core component in the lead-up to the exam. Personally, you should be able to produce a table of themes, quotes, techniques and overall value of each text in correlation with the module, similar to English Advanced.
3) Depends on the individual; if you're struggling with English once per week would be appropriate, drafted and submitted to your teacher.
4) Not sure - I just completed the set tasks and furthermore, studied for the upcoming exams.
5) Not exactly - the transition is noticeable however you should be able to adjust with the workload in the first 1-2 weeks of commencing the course. The skills you develop in EEI and EA (vice versa) should complement one another and thus ease the transition process.

Good luck! :)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
1) A textbook is by far superfluous; you should be able to integrate your own perception of the text, in conjunction with teacher resources, online notes, etc.
2) Studying for EEI is generally sustained - your teacher will expect you to draft essays and creatives as part of its core component in the lead-up to the exam. Personally, you should be able to produce a table of themes, quotes, techniques and overall value of each text in correlation with the module, similar to English Advanced.
3) Depends on the individual; if you're struggling with English once per week would be appropriate, drafted and submitted to your teacher.
4) Not sure - I just completed the set tasks and furthermore, studied for the upcoming exams.
5) Not exactly - the transition is noticeable however you should be able to adjust with the workload in the first 1-2 weeks of commencing the course. The skills you develop in EEI and EA (vice versa) should complement one another and thus ease the transition process.

Good luck! :)
so where should I get my online notes? sparknotes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)