Soy Milk, which tastes best? (1 Viewer)

ay0_x

HSC
UPDATE: Young coconuts are considered highly nutritious. One whole coconut has only 140 calories and provides 17% of the RDA for calcium. The total fat content is 3 grams, all saturated. With a zero content of cholesterol, the young coconut has 50 mg sodium, 28 grams of carbohydrate, 2 grams of fiber,15 grams of sugar, and 2 grams of protein.

http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch58.html#Nutrit

I guess it's not so fatty after all :)

Though this isn't real coconut "milk" more like "coconut water". Takes heaps of getting used to because it's heaps sweet and watery. But it's yummy on cereal.

yeah_boy

HSC
Anything is better than cow's milk.

And soy is terrible and has a crap load of carcinogenic properties.

Almond or rice milk are slightly better but not much. You have to realise how processed soy milk is. And stay the hell away from soy cheese soy yoghurt etc. Tastes gross and its not worth how unhealthy it really is.

You can make your own almond milk and there's heaps of recipes on the net. That's probably the best idea.

I actually just use young coconut milk =\ its heaps sweet and of course tastes like coconut but I got used to it
Yeah I'm pretty much vegan (the odd exception of a cookie, or cake or the odd piece of chocolate) but I always stray away from like... the more raw and obvious animal products .. like egg, milk, cheese and yoghurt, if you get what I mean. I never eat soy yoghurt or soy cheese or soy meat or anything like that. I don't understand what the point of eating soy meat is.. might aswell eat real meat... unless you're doing it for ethical reasons.. but it'd suck to give up meat if you love it that much.

A really good "milk tasting" soy milk is "So Natural - Extra Milky Soy" its very good.. although the shops usually hide it in the corner at the bottom of the section.

Has anyone tried "fresh" soymilk from an asian store? My mum bought this big 2L cold bottle, like normal milk, buts its soy milk and all the writing is in some asian language LOL. I haven't tried it yet.

OH! And almond milk is bloody expensive! $7 a litre at Woolies, and there's only 1 variety. I know that in the US its about $2 and there's heaps of flavours and what not.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
In Sydney I had this really really really yummy soy milk.

It was Organic, and had the word 'harvest' on it, I think?
Comes out golden colour and its greeeaaat.

Sorry i couldn't remember it.

Furbob

HSC
funnily enough, I decided to buy the sugar-free soymilk from local asian grocery where the content is literally 50% soybean and 50% water so I could taste what true soymilk should be like and the taste of soy in general

It's pretty good and guilt-free as there is no sugar/carbs in it at all, so it can be as easy to drink as water. Plus it's half the price and double the value compared to the supermarket soymilk I usually buy

The supermarket soymilk tastes more sweeter and tastier though but the asian grocery one is pretty good for its value so I might actually stick to that one as it saves money and I can drink it by the buckets instead of drinking it sparingly~

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Anything is better than cow's milk.

And soy is terrible and has a crap load of carcinogenic properties.
Do you get sick of being wrong all the time?

The adverse health effects of soy products have been very greatly overstated, with huge support from the dairy industry.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I have many a vegan friend and they all drink rice milk now cos apparently long-term consumption of soy milk is bad for you. Quite bad. They quote lots of evidence but cbf finding it i need to shower.

Rice milk tastes much better than soy milk anyhow.
Your friends are mistaken.

ay0_x

HSC
Coconut water > all if you can handle the sweetness/coconuttyness/wateryness.

Real milk disgusts me so much.

ay0_x

HSC
Also.. dieburndie...

While traditionally fermented/made soymilk can boast health benefits
the shit you get at woolies
has been overprocessed to within an inch of its' life.
Now, don't get me wrong, it's not half as disgusting/terrible for you as cow's milk
but unless you're buying au naturale from an Asian grocer
you're better off making your own.

em_angel23

HSC
Try So Good Essentials (purple carton)
50% of daily calcium in one glass!
98.5% fat free but still tastes richer than the fat free, and has a faint vanilla-y taste
And B12, iron, and 8.5 grams protein per glass

jaredtomas

HSC
Why not So Good Soy Milk?
That stuff tastes like 96% water.
It's almost not Soy Milk and lost a large amount of that soy milk texture and composition which the Asian versions retain.
Any product that complies with Food laws will list ingredients in descending order.

you just made me post this

[youtube]1EY7lYRneHc[/youtube]

Soy Milk should only be consumed when you are lactose intolerant.
lololol otherwise.
Sorry to bump an old post, but I am lactose intolerant..

bio_nut

HSC
Most whites shouldn't be lactose intolerant.

If you drink milk frequently enough during your lifetime your should not lose the enzyme that digests lactose.

A lot of people lose it when they stop drinking it for an extended period of time.

There are three major types of lactose intolerance:
1. Primary lactose intolerance. Environmentally induced when weaning a child in non–dairy consuming societies. This is found in many Asian and African cultures, where industrialized and commercial dairy products are uncommon.

2. Secondary lactose intolerance. Environmentally induced, resulting from certain gastrointestinal diseases, including exposure to intestinal parasites such as Giardia lamblia. In such cases the production of lactase may be permanently disrupted. A very common cause of temporary lactose intolerance is gastroenteritis, particularly when the gastroenteritis is caused by rotavirus. Another form of temporary lactose intolerance is lactose overload in infants.[8]

3. Congenital lactase deficiency. A genetic disorder which prevents enzymatic production of lactase. Present at birth, and diagnosed in early infancy.
That is entirely wrong. Humans stop producing lactase after infancy in most of the population, the continued production of the enzyme is a genetic trait which has spread throughout those of European descent. Most likely stemming from groups partaking in animal husbandry where such a trait is beneficial, when alternative sources of nutrition are scarce.

It is unnatural for a mammal to continue to produce the enzyme capable of digesting its mothers milk once it is weaned, let alone drink that of another species, so to suggest that it is environmentally induced is ludicrous.

Research is also currently suggesting a far higher proportion of those of European descent are lactose intolerant than previously though, further suggesting a genetic reason.

suling

HSC
Soy Milky.
I personally think it beats the crap out of So Good (too watery and gross tasting, especially the 'light' versions). The chocolate flavoured So Good is all right though..

CecilyMare

HSC
So Good is nice to add to anything, like a scoop of Milo or just pour it over some poorly baked dry cake.

If you're poor, those green Pandan soy milks from Asian stores are alright too. For plain drinking only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)