Speed Cameras (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Couldn't be bothered multiquoting so sort through at will.

To the person that said the people most likely to call revenue raising are the most likely to speed. I have to disagree. iirc, cameras were implemented to reduce the danger at black spots. They were designed to educate drivers passively to slow down around dangerous spots, which is why by law they need the 3 signs ahead of it (which I personally disagree with, there should be none at all but thats another point altogether).
Instead, now we're seeing them on freeways. Anyone that's used the M4 would know how stupid it is to put a camera on a completely straight stretch of road nowhere near an on/offramp. It gets harder and harder to argue that they're there to protect the population from themselves when you put them in factors where speed isn't an important factor in accidents so much as lack of attention/bad roadcraft is, and then being counterproductive and forcing them to concentrate on far less important things.

As for handheld radar, I'm in two minds about this. The idea is that you don't know where they'll be and you'll have to watch your speed to make sure you never get caught which has its merits. When I first opened up my bike I was at 120 after a few seconds and was a lot more cautious about my speed from then on out, purely out of concern for my licence and not myself. Having been picked off on one hiding on the F6, though, I still have my reservations. Hiding your car behind a couple of bushes and aiming it down the road isn't the sort of policing that will stop people from speeding, it'll just increase resentment.

It gets pretty hard to defend the cameras when you get the police saying speeding kills then the RTA dropping penalties for speeding, obviously so your licence can take a few more hits before you're off the road. Average speed cameras aren't any better really. How many black spots are on freeways? And lets not forget state government estimating speeding revenue - that is what they call it - for every budget.

The sad fact of the matter is that most highway patrol officers are really just collectors for the state.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I agree with what you’re saying which is why I wouldn't (and wasn't going to) defend my statement as it was very much a blanket statement on an issues which has many aspects to consider.

You do raise some good points, I'd much prefer roads to be upgraded to a higher standard and when promised, then have more speed cameras put on multilane toll ways etc.

Although I didn't drive that much during the holiday double demerits period I was out a bit and during that time I didn't see 1 police car, rbt, speed checking etc. A visible police presence regular certainly does also help to make a difference.

I think another sad fact is no matter what anybody does people will still speed and no amount of campaigning, laws, camera or policing will ever stop that - all we and the government can do is help to minimise that as best as possible.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In all honesty I see more police running defect checks than anything else... even on my way home from Seven Hills today I saw a black R32 GTR get pulled over by two undercovers on Old Windsor Rd... the only thing constituting police presence was the sirens stuck on top of the cars doing the defect check.

chuboy

HSC
In all honesty I see more police running defect checks than anything else... even on my way home from Seven Hills today I saw a black R32 GTR get pulled over by two undercovers on Old Windsor Rd... the only thing constituting police presence was the sirens stuck on top of the cars doing the defect check.
Undercovers...aren't they fresh meat for a debate!

The number of them I see skulking around town makes me wonder what percentage of the police fleet is actually marked =/

They're getting better at disguising them too, no fat aerial giving it away anymore.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Undercovers...aren't they fresh meat for a debate!

The number of them I see skulking around town makes me wonder what percentage of the police fleet is actually marked =/

They're getting better at disguising them too, no fat aerial giving it away anymore.
They are getting flashier cars though... whilst the ones I saw was a Camry and a Commordore, I've seen plenty of F6's with no police markings! Very nice. The only giveaway other than the guy in uniform inside is the huge screens which resemble large GPS units!

chuboy

HSC
They are getting flashier cars though... whilst the ones I saw was a Camry and a Commordore, I've seen plenty of F6's with no police markings! Very nice. The only giveaway other than the guy in uniform inside is the huge screens which resemble large GPS units!
I work at a highway travel centre so they always stop in for their coffee and I see some creative jobs indeed. I've seen among the countless FPVs and sports Commodores, a Mitsu 380, an Impreza sports hatch (!), Aurions, even a Ford Mondeo. Not all fast cars though, I suspect they are also used for undercover work.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In theory you don't need a fast acceleration car and awesome handling (i.e. Evo's and STI's probably aren't that suitable) but just one which can comfortably cruise at highway speeds in a fuel efficient manner (most V6's and V8's would be suitable for this).

On another note did anyone see the fake highway police patrol cars on 7PM Project tonight (11/01/2010)? Basically the police have been parking highway patrol cars in random spots on the highway with nothing more than the fluro cop jacket and a hat inside. Good deterrent!

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Majority of unmarked HP cars I see are Falcon models, saw a lime green 310 F6 the other day, while most of the marked ones I see seem to be Standard VE SS Commodores.

Edit: On the M5, this is. When we were going up to Byron saw a couple of unmarked SS Commodores in bright colours that had pulled people over.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I work at a highway travel centre so they always stop in for their coffee and I see some creative jobs indeed. I've seen among the countless FPVs and sports Commodores, a Mitsu 380, an Impreza sports hatch (!), Aurions, even a Ford Mondeo. Not all fast cars though, I suspect they are also used for undercover work.
I've seen Ford [Territory] Ghias as well. :p

Last edited:

astroe

HSC
Oh yeah, I recall seeing a fluro blue F6, with an antenna stick coming out of the boot, which caught my attention. And it had the standard yellow licence plates, which lead me to the assumption that it was a police car, and hey it was. :p

I mean if someone's going to buy such an awesome car, they wouldn't put BD47XA on it or something. Personalised/Slimline ftw :p

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I have seen ones with white numberplates and shit like that they are tricky bastards sometimes.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yeah, I recall seeing a fluro blue F6, with an antenna stick coming out of the boot, which caught my attention. And it had the standard yellow licence plates, which lead me to the assumption that it was a police car, and hey it was. :p

I mean if someone's going to buy such an awesome car, they wouldn't put BD47XA on it or something. Personalised/Slimline ftw :p
I'm looking at some photos I took of F6's at my local carwash which were undercover and you're right. They all had the ordinary white background black writing plates with similar letters to what you said. And all had bright colours.

astroe

HSC
I'm looking at some photos I took of F6's at my local carwash which were undercover and you're right. They all had the ordinary white background black writing plates with similar letters to what you said. And all had bright colours.
LOL. You took pictures of it?! HAHA. :p
But I said it DIDN'T have slimline plates, they were the really cheap standard Black on Yellow plates. :p Slimlines cost like $90 anyway.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
One thing I do have to say, is that now everyone is paranoid about fluro coloured Aussie built cars! It's almost all you see them use.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL. You took pictures of it?! HAHA. :p
But I said it DIDN'T have slimline plates, they were the really cheap standard Black on Yellow plates. :p Slimlines cost like $90 anyway.
My mistake. I asked the coppers if I could take a photo and they said only one... so I aimed it as best I could to capture them all sitting at the North Rocks Scooters carwash :)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
If the government can collect money off dickheads hoons like yourself then I'm all for it and I hope you fall off your bike again and die.
What because he rides a bike hes automatically called a hoon.

Fuck off captain nemo, go get lost 1000 leagues under the sea of something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)