• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

spirited away (1 Viewer)

shrapnelle

HSC
straightforward, im gathering ideas that i do not have already on how Spirited Away shows concepts of belonging. if anyone would post i have no problem helipng them with ny oh their questions

subjects:
-biology
-ancient history
-society and culture
-advanced english
-Ext 1 english
-Ext 2 english

xepher

HSC
I've been using Spirited Away as an ORT for all of the units we've had to do... It relates to all of them incredibly effectively.

As for belonging... Consider the whole schism between humans/bath-house-world folks as a relationships/acceptance based point, Chihiro's transition and into the other world as an identity based point, and the relationship between Chihiro and No Face as an understanding based point.

That basically followed the curriculum for the belonging AOS, and I used the exact points in an essay earlier in the year and got full marks... Can't remember exactly what I wrote though.

Have fun :)

seung1234

HSC
so far i have
- No face is excluded from society , seeking acceptance and belonging.
- Chihiro earning her sense of belonging within the spirit world as well as returning to her original place of belonging ( the real world)
- belonging connected by identity, --> when yubaba takes away the name , symbolic of identity sen forgets what define her sense of belonging ; eg her self , her home eg

thats all i got so far.. please help me and send me some points of your own. any thing on family belonging between chihiro and her parents or sumfing like that would b great

Josaaayy

HSC
How about when Haku loses his home and must find somewhere else to belong which ends up being Yubaba's bath house?

this indicates a physical sense of belonging, which is in fact the Kohaku river, which has now been replaced by apartments. So maybe this indicates he's replaced by the greed of humans. So one does not always deserve what he receives.

and to add to the names, even though he is not the main character, Haku has lost his sense of identity which connects to the common Japanese belief that their soul is reaped when one loses their identity.

So in conclusion, I think haku is one of the strongest points in relation to belonging in a negative way, that poses food for thought.
That his sense of belonging has been so badly tarnished, he turns to power to fill this void, to steal the gold seal - which again points to greed - the way he's been treated is how he is now treating others. This could be because Yubaba is the person who has stolen all the power he has over his life.

Haku has been reaped of spiritual, physical and mental belonging so when Chihiro, through all of her experience throughout the movie, through mental and spiritual maturity, has created a portal through which she aids him, she remembers his name and therefore he gains the most important aspect of belonging back, his spiritual one, his soul. So now it doesnt matter where he is physically, he know who he is.

I think religion should also be of note in this movie as buddhist religion is probably where the concept of the name being attached in some way to the soul. So a sense of belonging to a religion in the spirit world and the every day world is unanimous.

Wow haha, this is going right into MY SPEECH TOO lol! :party:

Just a few thoughts
Any other suggestions?

-Josie
yr 12, The Jannali High School

albeitunique

HSC
I don't know if anyway still uses this thread, but I've got some notes I can share if people want them. :)
Thanks for your help!

animeiswild

HSC
Isn't this supposed to be used for Jap Ext? I have notes, but all in Japanese...

Glabbergoch

HSC
Well if the film has had an english language dub and can be understood well, then it seems ripe for the picking for fodder to use in an essay.

kairimay

HSC
N/A
To Albeitunique, yes please! I'm in Term 4 of Year 11 (so kinda year 12ish?) And I'm looking for related texts atm. Can you send them to me please? :) Umm email me?
teeny-tiny-nemo@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
To Albeitunique, yes please! I'm in Term 4 of Year 11 (so kinda year 12ish?) And I'm looking for related texts atm. Can you send them to me please? :) Umm email me?
teeny-tiny-nemo@hotmail.com. Thanks!
Your best bet is to message them directly through 'Send Private Message' feature. I'm not sure how frequently they read the forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)