SRC elections. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I'm sick of wading through the bullshit on the pros and cons of different parties.

Can someone just tell me who won?

Gosh.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nick Wood won president, Word won honi, and we won't know SRC or NUS for a few weeks yet.

jpr333

HSC
President of the SRC? I thought it was fairly simple then I read the Honi thingo and see 10 different elections for president, members, editors, etc.. kinda wigged me out. How many elections were running concurrently?

Plebeian

NUS counting is finished. The delegate positions were:

Action: 3
Keep Left: 1
Choice: 1
Spark: 1
"Greens" (Enviro Collective? I'm not sure what the person who told me meant by Greens): 1

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
This election has proven completely that students no longer care about the SRC.

walrusbear

HSC
Phanatical said:
This election has proven completely that students no longer care about the SRC.
what makes you say that??

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
walrusbear said:
what makes you say that??
I think he should start an overthrow and install himself as dictator of the usyd SRC and then remove elections because the people don't care about the SRC.

..and yes I'm aware of the left at usyd pretty much has a dictatorship but at least they have a 'vote'.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Back in high school, my friend Cadie did just that - she installed herself as the leader of a new "enlightened" SRC, removed all voting due to complete disinterest in the process, and summarily turned the organisation into a complete farce.

My policies were designed to fix the fundamental flaws of the SRC, to allow it to truly represent students once again. Now that I'm no longer a candidate for the SRC Presidency, but just good ol' Andrew Quah once again, they're no longer policies, but suggestions. And perhaps as suggestions they may have more success.

To fix the SRC, our representatives must first acknowledge that students don't want to be part of it. That's not a judgement call by any means, nor is it a statement on whether students Should be members of the SRC. It's just a recognition of the fact that the majority of the membership to our student organisations don't want to be there.

Basically, my belief is that for the SRC to become more relevant to students, it must not see itself as a representative body of 32000 students, but as a representative body of students from 15 (or thereabouts) different faculties. That's not to say it Isn't a representative of the 32000 undergraduate students - because technically it is - but it's the Approach to the job that's important.

There are several options that the SRC could take in this regard:
The first is to scrap popular voting as it is, and to ask students to instead nominate students from their departments or faculties to represent them. Perhaps a system similar to the Senate, in which each state and territory has a certain number of representatives.
The second (and this is not mutually exclusive) is to create smaller SRC's that would report to the main one at faculty level that deal with academic issues relevant to that faculty. Organisations such as SUEUA, SciSoc and MediaSoc fulfill this function to an extent, but if this is done within the SRC framework, these organisations would have far greater powers in terms of dealing with issues.

Issues such as student health and welfare need to be dealt with, and therefore I would recommend the creation of a Student Health, Welfare and Wellness officer whose function would be to advise the council on issues relevant to student wellbeing, to liaise with health organisations such as the relevant Area Health Service, the Men's Health Information & Resource Centre (among others), and so on. This sort of liaison would essentially offload much of the financial burden onto outside organisations, who are better equipped to deal with such issues. By getting others to pay for the work of the four student organisations, we'd be able to ease the proverbial squeeze on students, who quite frankly are too poor to fund the SRC.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Only 9% of eligible students voted. That includes students who actively supported Choice, and hope VSU is introduced next year. The fact that the remaining 91% of students didn't vote is quite obviously an indication that students don't care enough about the SRC to have a say on who runs it. And students don't care, because they don't want to be Part of the SRC. There is a media campaign in the works that says "85% of students voted for USU". Unfortunately (and I say this as one of those supporters of USU), the reality is that only 8% (max) of students support it.

gerhard

HSC
Phanatical said:
This election has proven completely that students have different opinions to mine.

possibly more accurate

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
Only 9% of eligible students voted. That includes students who actively supported Choice, and hope VSU is introduced next year. The fact that the remaining 91% of students didn't vote is quite obviously an indication that students don't care enough about the SRC to have a say on who runs it. And students don't care, because they don't want to be Part of the SRC. There is a media campaign in the works that says "85% of students voted for USU". Unfortunately (and I say this as one of those supporters of USU), the reality is that only 8% (max) of students support it.
Phanatical. People do not care about politics. Especially at such a low level. It's like interest in local council elections. No one really cares.

I like politics. I'm a pols major. I still don't vote in guild elections. I don't care. Just because I don't care doesn't mean that the vote should be taken away from the people who do want to vote.

gerhard

HSC
Phanatical said:
the reality is that only 8% (max) of students support it.
People can support universal student unionism, without necessarily voting in the elections. Lots of people arent necessarily interested in politics at a federal level, let alone interested in student politics. To just assume that all of these people have a specific opinion on a complex issue is a bit rich.

Plebeian

wikiwiki said:
No he had it right the first time.

The arguments against VSU have had more exposure than they deserve: they have failed miserably.

The SRC is not wanted by the majority of students.
But nobody ran a campaign saying "If you don't like VSU, you must vote in these elections, no matter who you vote for."

As for Quah's proposal, I think the function of Faculty representation is fairly well carried out by staff-student liaison meetings, and Faculty Boards. The SRC exists for wider policy issues affecting the whole undergraduate population, such as decisions taken by the Academic Board or the Senate, or Government.

Kafka

HSC
N/A
I voted for Nick Wood, and action (but Aardvark for Honi) as I belive he was the best candidate. I support a modified form of USU, but I would prefer the current system to none at all.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
frederica said:
So do you have the names of the successful NUS people?
Tom Watson
Rose Jackson
Nick Wood
Katy Fernandez
Patrick Langosch
Ben Rau
Louisa McDonald

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Is there anywhere we can complain to in order to force the university to give Rose Jackson her degree early?

I am really sick of her.

Just give her the degree and get her the hell out of Sydney Uni.
you don't have the hots for her like phanatical? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)