Started making notes for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

conch575

HSC
I have started working on my dot points for Legal Studies, IPT, SOR1 and English. I don't really know what to do for Art yet. In Senior Science, we're still working on Prelim stuff.. It's frustrating, I feel we're at disadvantage doing prelim still.

bumblebee1234

HSC
is it worthwhile making notes for maths? or just doing hundreds of questions?

tonyharrison

HSC
Yr11s, ask yr12s for their notes. Don't bother creating them all yourself.

The only notes you need to make for maths are like formula sheets or whatever.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Yr11s, ask yr12s for their notes. Don't bother creating them all yourself.

The only notes you need to make for maths are like formula sheets or whatever.
No, I don't agree.

Making your own notes synthesises the information into your brain, it implants it and makes you connect more with what you're learning. I find it feels foreign or something to study solely off other people's notes.
+ You can't be sure that they're 100% correct or comprehensive.

Especially in english, you have to do your own notes in order to make your own links between texts etc.

HSC
Not really. Coming first makes people complacent. Coming second makes people wanna come first. So the saying goes: "To come first (again), you've gotta work like your number two".
This is true, I came first in two subjects in Year 11, and then came first in four in Year 12.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Wow that's a lot of work.. It's better to be consistent than to just cram a bunch in one day. 30 minutes a night > 5 hours in one day (should be doing more if you want 99+ though, heh)
Yeah, it is. I want to drop something but i don't know what to drop :(
heyy but your ranks are more important than your internal assessmt marks arent they? I mean I thought ranks WERE quite important at our school rather than marks..

but yes for our external assessment, rank in the state is important to know. that's true.
especially when i take rankings into consideration!!!!
Just made decisions, decisions, decisions that much harder to make!

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Dude, even coming 2nd with minimal study makes you complacent. I dropped to 5th after that because I didn't realize that 3rd and 4th place were waiting to pounce on my rank :D

gella

HSC
fucking jesus christ you guys
im just making notes for what i'm studying at the time
don't go all apeshit and try and do absolutely everything in the second week, or you'll burn out

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
QFT. I came 2nd in the Prelim Maths 2U exam and now I am as pumped as ever to beat this chick who is coming 1st.
same. i hope she becomes so arrogant that she stops coming first. I wanna come first in something. I don't want to keep trailing behind other people.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
This is true, I came first in two subjects in Year 11, and then came first in four in Year 12.
Cool, good for you. :p

fucking jesus christ you guys
im just making notes for what i'm studying at the time
don't go all apeshit and try and do absolutely everything in the second week, or you'll burn out
Pretty much what she said.

sydneyyy

HSC
I need to get out more...
hahahah that's cute.

but i get what you mean. and when you've got everything highlighted, you're like "YEAAH BITCHES!!!"

i should really start doing my notes too.

but there are so many other things i'd rather be doing, e.g. facebook HAHA

i'm so fucking lazy :(

0bs3n3

HSC
Hmm how do you make notes for English? Do you follow the syllabus?

I didn't even think about making notes for English (the syllabus is full of so much convoluted garbage I didn't think it would be very worthwhile, and there really isn't a whole lot of content anyway). I thought it would be just like Maths, except practice essays instead of problems.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
make notes on ur prescribed texts so u dont have to cram the night b4. => something i should be doing :p

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Well thats a given, but syllabus notes are pointless, right?
Deconstruct the module and elective statements for each module (your teacher should have already explained these. If they haven't... ask them to!) and summarise them into the main points/outcomes etc. Then organise your notes under these and you should be fine.

Make sure you are incorporating the language that they use in it too, to show that you know it.

jiratic

HSC
The key to memory is.... repetition. You never forget your name, your address, your parents names, your brothers/sister's because you are constantly bombarded, until they become etched into your memory.

I like to refer to memory as a well. If you hear something once, it just drops to the bottom, and pulling it out is very difficult. If you keep revising something consistenly and regularly, you ensure that the memory is 'imprinted' on the top layer of your memory (metaphorically) meaning that it is easily acessible, not just in the short term, but in the long term.

Revising work within 24 hours increases memory retention by 60%.
Revising doesnt just mean reading the work, you should be constantly asking questions and answering them (at least in your head) as well
Revising that same work, 2 /4/6/8 weeks later, will increase that memory retention to close to 100%, or permanent memory- great for the final exams, and for uni and life in general.

Notes aren't that important, what is important is constant revision, and making sure you know the syllabus and rubric.

What notes ARE good for, is making sure you've covered everything in the syllabus in a condensed and organised form. Notes in themselves won't do that much unless you revise them constantly and keep updating them- on a daily or weekly basis. Spending 20 hours compiling chem notes 2 weeks before your trials ISNT effective, at least compared to building the notes as you go, to increase, and constantly reinforce your level of understanding.

joyride

HSC
i think i'm gonna do this..... (take notes every night)
i'm thinking it'd be a huge help when tests/exams come..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)