• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

State Rank Possibilities? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am ranked 1st in maths and 3rd for music 2. Any chance for state rank if I blitz the hsc exams?

deswa1

HSC
Possibly for maths but you can't just assume that you're good enough depending on your school as it might not be competitive- but yes you stand a chance. I'd say that state ranking music won't happen because you're not ranked first internally which already limits how high your assessment mark can go as well as the fact that a person with potential to state rank should be SMASHING everyone at their school (except for top selectives)

HSC
the amount of effort people put into state ranking, only for it to never matter again is hilarious

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
This will be very subjective. But in most cases if you aren't in the list of schools that I'm going to list then no, for the subjects you are thinking of getting state ranks in only. Remember this will be based on the past couple years of the HSC, and I'm only referring to maths.

The schools who got state rankings from 2008 - 2011 are: ( I will exclude some )
- Barker College
- James Ruse Agriculture
- Killara
- Normanhurst Boys
- Hurlstone Argiculture High
- Fort Street High
- Knox
- Sydney Boys High
- North Sydney Girls High
- Baulkham Hills
- Newington College

Etc...

So, are you in one of these schools? If you are from one who got a state rank before, but not mentioned then yes you do have a chance. But the ones I chose are the ones who somewhat had consistent state ranks. I might have missed some, but I think I got the main ones covered.

iBibah

HSC
This will be very subjective. But in most cases if you aren't in the list of schools that I'm going to list then no, for the subjects you are thinking of getting state ranks in only. Remember this will be based on the past couple years of the HSC, and I'm only referring to maths.

The schools who got state rankings from 2008 - 2011 are: ( I will exclude some )
- Barker College
- James Ruse Agriculture
- Killara
- Normanhurst Boys
- Fort Street High
- Knox
- Sydney Boys High
- Baulkham Hills
- Newington College

Etc...

So, are you in one of these schools? If you are from one who got a state rank before, but not mentioned then yes you do have a chance. But the ones I chose are the ones who somewhat had consistent state ranks. I might have missed some, but I think I got the main ones covered.
m8 previous state ranks mean nothing.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

- Barker College
- James Ruse Agriculture
- Killara
- Normanhurst Boys
- Fort Street High
- Knox
- Sydney Boys High
- Baulkham Hills
- Newington College

Etc...

Stop being elitist.

lolcakes52

HSC
You should be first in three unit to get a state rank, its unlikely. Get 100%, no errors, don't make a mistake etc and maybe you will get one.... MAYBE.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
You should be first in three unit to get a state rank, its unlikely. Get 100%, no errors, don't make a mistake etc and maybe you will get one.... MAYBE.
Agreed. Honestly anything can happen. If you ace the externals, you've got a chance. Just try your best.

jackerino

HSC
Question: what happens here, Im preettyy confident I'm gonna be first in MX2, MX1, Chem and Phys at my school, though there's several people who are super good at english and I might struggle to beat them. But say I get raw marks like this:
MX1: 63-65/70
MX2: 87-92/100
Phys: 94-95/100
Chem: 94-95/100
Adv Eng: 80/100
Now I might be getting mixed up here with RAW vs FINAL marks, I think my understanding is right. Anyway with those RAW marks, ranked 1st in all but 5th in english, at a 200+ ranked school, do I stand a chance of state ranks?

2xL

HSC
Question: what happens here, Im preettyy confident I'm gonna be first in MX2, MX1, Chem and Phys at my school, though there's several people who are super good at english and I might struggle to beat them. But say I get raw marks like this:
Now I might be getting mixed up here with RAW vs FINAL marks, I think my understanding is right. Anyway with those RAW marks, ranked 1st in all but 5th in english, at a 200+ ranked school, do I stand a chance of state ranks?
Call the Po-Po this thread just got hijacked.

Eg155

HSC
Implying that you can't state rank outside a top 30 odd school.
Uhm, are you implying that someone cannot get a state ranking outside a top 30 school?
My school has had several state rankings in the past 4 years or so and it's 100+ in rankings.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Uhm, are you implying that someone cannot get a state ranking outside a top 30 school?
My school has had several state rankings in the past 4 years or so and it's 100+ in rankings.
He's saying the opposite.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Doubting those two. If you can get those raw marks, easily 99.95.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Doubting those two. If you can get those raw marks, easily 99.95.
Wait why u doubt them? Whats so hard about phys/chem? The precision of response apparently? Well if u learn it, there shouldnt be much difficulty in obtaining those marks raw.

Im hoping for similar marks to jackerino, but more like 75 for english and 90-92 for phys and chem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)