State Rank Possibilities? (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
Question: what happens here, Im preettyy confident I'm gonna be first in MX2, MX1, Chem and Phys at my school, though there's several people who are super good at english and I might struggle to beat them. But say I get raw marks like this:
MX1: 63-65/70
MX2: 87-92/100
Phys: 94-95/100
Chem: 94-95/100
Adv Eng: 80/100
Now I might be getting mixed up here with RAW vs FINAL marks, I think my understanding is right. Anyway with those RAW marks, ranked 1st in all but 5th in english, at a 200+ ranked school, do I stand a chance of state ranks?
The math's and english definitely won't be state ranks. Raw mark for state rank in MX1 would be 70/70 I'm guessing and MX2 would be above 95. Chem and phys yep but tbh, I doubt you get 95 in chem with an 80 in english because for the 6 markers etc., its an ability to communicate VERY effectively that'll get the full marks and if you have that, you'll score above 80 in english. Good luck though.

hayabusaboston

HSC
The math's and english definitely won't be state ranks. Raw mark for state rank in MX1 would be 70/70 I'm guessing and MX2 would be above 95. Chem and phys yep but tbh, I doubt you get 95 in chem with an 80 in english because for the 6 markers etc., its an ability to communicate VERY effectively that'll get the full marks and if you have that, you'll score above 80 in english. Good luck though.
I think he means raw marks... final marks would be much higher wouldnt they?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wait why u doubt them? Whats so hard about phys/chem? The precision of response apparently? Well if u learn it, there shouldnt be much difficulty in obtaining those marks raw.

Im hoping for similar marks to jackerino, but more like 75 for english and 90-92 for phys and chem
It's the way the Chemistry/Physics course is marked, where marks are allocated moreso to HOW you answer your question, rather than the actual content.

It's also the reason why you see Olympiad students NOT getting State Ranks even though their knowledge on the topic is most likely superior to whoever topped it.

deswa1

HSC
I think he means raw marks... final marks would be much higher wouldnt they?
Yeah I know he meant raw marks. I'm saying to state rank MX1 you need 100% raw which aligns to 100 HSC mark and to state rank MX2 you'll need 95+ RAW, which aligns to 98+ HSC. Tbh, those raw marks of say 63-65/70 in MX1 are good but honestly nothing very special at all especially when you look at top ten places at selective schools where everyone would be getting that.

enoilgam

HSC
I dont know, I kind of disagree with this. Look, good english skills are needed to write detailed responses, but you do not necessarily need to be an ace at HSC english to do well in essays or written responses. I'm pretty sure I got less then 80 raw in english and I still managed to do quite well in other writing subjects. I would actually go as far to say that HSC english isnt necessarily the best indicator of writing skills.

deswa1

HSC
I dont know, I kind of disagree with this. Look, good english skills are needed to write detailed responses, but you do not necessarily need to be an ace at HSC english to do well in essays or written responses. I'm pretty sure I got less then 80 raw in english and I still managed to do quite well in other writing subjects. I would actually go as far to say that HSC english isnt necessarily the best indicator of writing skills.
Oh crap lol- I associated all his other marks as raw but I looked at the 80 as an aligned mark (an 80 raw is a B6), my bad... But yeah, I see where you're coming from. Do you think an 80 aligned could state rank in chem?

enoilgam

HSC
Oh crap lol- I associated all his other marks as raw but I looked at the 80 as an aligned mark (an 80 raw is a B6), my bad... But yeah, I see where you're coming from. Do you think an 80 aligned could state rank in chem?
At some point it probably would be good to get some opinions on whether or not people value HSC english in terms of the skills you learn. For chemistry, 80 would probably only get you around 93 - 94, for a state rank 90 would probably be just enough. You could maybe scrape one with an 88 depending on the difficulty of the exam. The aligning for chemistry is really strong (comes close to MX1 and MX2 imo).

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait why u doubt them? Whats so hard about phys/chem? The precision of response apparently? Well if u learn it, there shouldnt be much difficulty in obtaining those marks raw.

Im hoping for similar marks to jackerino, but more like 75 for english and 90-92 for phys and chem
Year to year, a state rank in science is generally high 80s for Chemistry and low 90s in Physics.

Hoping for 95 raw in science is key to being disappointed.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Yeah I know he meant raw marks. I'm saying to state rank MX1 you need 100% raw which aligns to 100 HSC mark and to state rank MX2 you'll need 95+ RAW, which aligns to 98+ HSC. Tbh, those raw marks of say 63-65/70 in MX1 are good but honestly nothing very special at all especially when you look at top ten places at selective schools where everyone would be getting that.
Yea im just giving way for silly mistakes, though recently ive started getting consistent 100's in MX1 so looks like my silly mistake habits are fixing up (Yay :p) and MX2 i will need to see how I go next term. and someth1ing, I completely guessed my Phys and Chem raw score lol, and its a guess, so obviously could be MUCH lower or MUCH higher. I only know that I find prelim phys and chem pretty easy like maths, so I guessed 95 wouldnt be THAT difficult to get in HSC

BUT now you have got me thinking about the WAY you write responses in chem and phys, so I realise you might be right in that getting 95 is actually super hard. Hmm. BUT if i DO get 95 raw, is that 1st in state rank for both?

Sindivyn

HSC
For sciences, it's key that you learn the 9.1 outcomes - what you need to put into prac responses is fairly predictable once you know these, yet so many people ignore 9.1

pluto

HSC
N/A
Where is Sydney Girls HS in your list. They're ALWAYS top 5-6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)