State rank (1 Viewer)

Kyufruit

HSC
How does one get a state rank? Is it also based on scaling and what school you go to or does it have different rules? How can one get a state rank?

Ive always been interested in the idea of getting a state rank but when I did a little more research I realised no one at my school has ever got them before. So I was wondering, what would it take?

quickoats

HSC
From NESA:

"If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):
  1. take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place
  2. take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places
  3. if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area."
Don't worry too much about state ranks - they're a nice fun bonus and that's pretty much it. I know of someone who did and it did not impact their ATAR at all - in fact they'd be much better off donating some of the maths marks to their English score (lots of people feel this way :/) Best to focus on doing well overall than actively trying to state rank a subject.

Last edited:

Carl10101

HSC
Depends on the subject but you can estimate an exact mark from past data: Advanced Mathematics you usually need like 100 but Chemistry usually cuts off at 98

In my attempts for perfect subject scores I literally bought every available textbook for a subject rather than just the one that the school recommends. If you want to go for it you could also try to finish the year 11 content by yourself as quick as possible and then try to learn as much year 12 content as you can before year 12 actually starts so that it is just revision

It is important to have as much fun as possible tho like the atar is just a number, I try to think of it as just a game rather than like something to be stressed about but it can be entertaining to try for a state rank

Kyufruit

HSC
From NESA:

"If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):
  1. take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place
  2. take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places
  3. if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area."
Don't worry too much about state ranks - they're a nice fun bonus and that's pretty much it. I got a state rank in maths and it did not impact my ATAR at all - in fact I'd be much better off donating some of the maths marks to my English score :/ Best to focus on doing well overall than actively trying to state rank a subject.
Thank you! well if it doesn’t effect my atar then I guess there’s no point wanting it lolol, I just think it would be cool to have a state rank, something my Asian parents can show off to my relatives haha.

Kyufruit

HSC
Depends on the subject but you can estimate an exact mark from past data: Advanced Mathematics you usually need like 100 but Chemistry usually cuts off at 98

In my attempts for perfect subject scores I literally bought every available textbook for a subject rather than just the one that the school recommends. If you want to go for it you could also try to finish the year 11 content by yourself as quick as possible and then try to learn as much year 12 content as you can before year 12 actually starts so that it is just revision

It is important to have as much fun as possible tho like the atar is just a number, I try to think of it as just a game rather than like something to be stressed about but it can be entertaining to try for a state rank
Ohhh that’s actually a really nice way to think about it, ive never thought about it as a game! Maybe i should try that for next term lolol

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
speaking of state ranks, is it true that to get a perfect ATAR (99.95) you must state rank in at least one subject?

dasfas

HSC
Thank you! well if it doesn’t effect my atar then I guess there’s no point wanting it lolol, I just think it would be cool to have a state rank, something my Asian parents can show off to my relatives haha.
You will care for approximately 2 weeks and then it won't matter once you're at Uni. It will be useful if you want to advertise your tutoring but that's about it.

idkkdi

HSC
speaking of state ranks, is it true that to get a perfect ATAR (99.95) you must state rank in at least one subject?
99.95 is basically averaging 95.6+ in maths 4u, eng advanced, chem and phys, which means you're very close to state-ranking in these subjects if not doing so. If you take lower scaling subjects and you get 99.95, you pretty much have to score a state rank score in one of your subjects.

idkkdi

HSC
From NESA:

Don't worry too much about state ranks - they're a nice fun bonus and that's pretty much it. _________________________________ at all - in fact I'd be much better off donating some of the ________ to my English score :/ Best to focus on doing well overall than actively trying to state rank a subject.
Careful, you don't want to get doxxed...

Last edited:

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
99.95 is basically averaging 95.6+ in maths 4u, eng advanced, chem and phys, which means you're very close to state-ranking in these subjects if not doing so. If you take lower scaling subjects and you get 99.95, you pretty much have to score a state rank score in one of your subjects.
yeah makes sense. guess I was falsely informed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)