State Rankings (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
runnable said:
Yea I don't think that table was necessary if you did good discussion within your writing.

I think its definitely possible to get 20/20 without graphs etc. In fact I don't think you will be disadvantaged. I was the only one who got 20/20 in my trials and I had no graphs etc. I'm sure heaps of people had them but I think the main emphasis is on the quality of writing.
Ok, awesomeee then. I reckon those two essays I wrote were the best essays I've ever done for economics. So hopefully it should pay off.
I threw in stuff like moral hazard and intergenerational equity into my globalisation one, lol, taking advice from a Uni student about to finish their B.Economics.

Zephyrio

HSC
Actually, the idea that state rankings are based primarily on externals is slightly untrue.

Two girls at my school got state rankings in legal studies last year:
Girl A: Internal 98 External 96 Overall 97 - 6th in the state
Girl B: Internal 96 External 98 Overall 97 - 9th in the state

On the subject of state rankings, I won't get any.

gorby2008

HSC
So state rankings are only based on the OVERALL HSC mark (moderated assessment + aligned external)?

[Sorry if that has been answered already]

Zephyrio

HSC
gorby2008 said:
So state rankings are only based on the OVERALL HSC mark (moderated assessment + aligned external)?

Yes, I believe so.

And how fair would it be if it wasn't using both your assessment and your external mark?

danz90

HSC
gorby2008 said:

Yeah, but then if the overall hsc mark is equal, then they look at exam marks, and then internal marks, I think.

runnable

HSC
danz90 said:
Ok, awesomeee then. I reckon those two essays I wrote were the best essays I've ever done for economics. So hopefully it should pay off.
I threw in stuff like moral hazard and intergenerational equity into my globalisation one, lol, taking advice from a Uni student about to finish their B.Economics.
Wow congratz. I think I did my best essays in my trials. Well I guess that was wasted... Meh not really lol.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Kujah said:
EE1 and EE2?
Modern history, maths?

Nah. :hammer: Too competitive.

I'm looking for consistency with my results anyway, so no state rank will be fine by me.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Modern history, maths?

Nah. :hammer: Too competitive.

I'm looking for consistency with my results anyway, so no state rank will be fine by me.
Maths LOL. You have a chance, a possibility, no-one can deny that! :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Actually, the idea that state rankings are based primarily on externals is slightly untrue.

Two girls at my school got state rankings in legal studies last year:
Girl A: Internal 98 External 96 Overall 97 - 6th in the state
Girl B: Internal 96 External 98 Overall 97 - 9th in the state

On the subject of state rankings, I won't get any.
Eh?

I don't think so.

The Top Achievers in a Course List includes the names and teaching schools of those students in each course who achieve Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate, and are placed in the top group (see following table). They are ranked firstly by their HSC mark and secondly by the average of the examination mark and the moderated assessment awarded for the course. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration.

Source: BOS

You obvioulsy got some wrong stats.

HSC
Just wondering, to get a Premier's award do you only have to get over 90 in 10 units or all of the subjects you do? Our school were not too good in the explanation department.. :confused:

I think I could have got a state rank in bus, until they slid us a badly worded test. I managed a 97 for my trials, 10 marks over the next person. I Hope the BOS dies a slow and painful death. :mad:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
olivegreentiger said:
Just wondering, to get a Premier's award do you only have to get over 90 in 10 units or all of the subjects you do? Our school were not too good in the explanation department.. :confused:

I think I could have got a state rank in bus, until they slid us a badly worded test. I managed a 97 for my trials, 10 marks over the next person. I Hope the BOS dies a slow and painful death. :mad:
It's funny how one bad-worded question can screw the entire state (or almost the entire state)...

Anyway, Premier's Award = Band 6 in 10 units worth of subjects.

danz90

HSC
olivegreentiger said:

Premier's award is for those who achieve Band 6 (90+) in 10 of their units. ( or at least 10)

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
Eh?

I don't think so.

The Top Achievers in a Course List includes the names and teaching schools of those students in each course who achieve Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate, and are placed in the top group (see following table). They are ranked firstly by their HSC mark and secondly by the average of the examination mark and the moderated assessment awarded for the course. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration.

Source: BOS

You obvioulsy got some wrong stats.
Actually, your statement doesn't disprove what I said, or prove that I got wrong stats. (And they're not wrong.) Just because HSC marks may take precendence in calculating state ranks doesn't mean that the average of their exam and internal marks cannot shuffle the ranks around. I take the classic example of someone being ranked decently (but not brilliantly) in maths, perhaps 8th or so, and has a good day at the office and gains 99 (118/120 or something) for his 2U maths examination. Of course he wouldn't get a state ranking - and rightly so, for underperforming in his internals.

Uh huh, poststructuralism. Getting ready for history extension tomorrow. LOL.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Actually, your statement doesn't disprove what I said, or prove that I got wrong stats. (And they're not wrong.) Just because HSC marks may take precendence in calculating state ranks doesn't mean that the average of their exam and internal marks cannot shuffle the ranks around. I take the classic example of someone being ranked decently (but not brilliantly) in maths, perhaps 8th or so, and has a good day at the office and gains 99 (118/120 or something) for his 2U maths examination. Of course he wouldn't get a state ranking - and rightly so, for underperforming in his internals.

Uh huh, poststructuralism. Getting ready for history extension tomorrow. LOL.
So you are saying that:

99 in HSC + 99 in internal = higher state-rank than 100 in HSC + 50 in internal?

I always thought that it was based on HSC exam mark first and THEN the internal mark and that's what my source is saying, isn't it?

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
So you are saying that:

99 in HSC + 99 in internal = higher state-rank than 100 in HSC + 50 in internal?

I always thought that it was based on HSC exam mark first and THEN the internal mark and that's what my source is saying, isn't it?
Well I'm just saying that your internal assessments play a big role in determining state ranks.

My friend at SBHS, in modern:
Boy A: Internal 97 External 94 Overall 96
Boy B: Internal 94 External 97 Overall 96

Because boy B was not ranked first, he did not get his internal mark of 97 (as he did with his exam). As such, he did not get a state ranking - 97 was the cutoff for a modern history state ranking last year.

dp624

HSC
Alright i have some more stats to add
I know the marks of those who came top 3 in ag
INT EXT OV
99 98 99 state rank 1st
98 98 98 state rank 2nd
97 99 98 state rank 3rd

Were the marks and ranks

bit shifty

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Well I'm just saying that your internal assessments play a big role in determining state ranks.

My friend at SBHS, in modern:
Boy A: Internal 97 External 94 Overall 96
Boy B: Internal 94 External 97 Overall 96

Because boy B was not ranked first, he did not get his internal mark of 97 (as he did with his exam). As such, he did not get a state ranking - 97 was the cutoff for a modern history state ranking last year.
But your initial stat doesn't look that right.

If they take preference on HSC mark over internal mark, how come the one who got higher HSC mark got lower state rank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)