State Rankings (1 Viewer)

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Meh, it wasn't as easy as what people make it out to be. I bet not many people got top in the state for this one despite what people say.

I reckon 3-4 people will probably pull off 120.
I doubt it. I reckon about 20+ people got 120 in the HSC exam.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
I doubt it. I reckon about 20+ people got 120 in the HSC exam.
Source?

You are absolutely wrong.

At least my stats from BOS disagrees with you.

From 1990-2000, there have been 8 cases where the top mark wasn't even 120. There were 2 cases in there where the top mark in the STATE was 110.

From 2000-2007, there haven't been three state rankers top in the state. If we go with the assumption (which is probably true) that state-ranks are first determined by HSC mark, there haven't been 3 120s then.

Even if we go with the assumption that state ranks are determined by average HSC mark, there woudlnt' be more than 3 people getting 120s.

And this year was not the easiest paper ever (from my perspective) and no one can even say that this paper was the easiest paper as the general opinion will be different. AND how can you even make such an abysmal judgement - you didn't even do HSC Mathematic! You cannot really make a valid judgement to how easy/hard this exam is. Therefore, your opinion is void.

dp624

HSC
Hey Namu how do you know what the top marks eare?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Hey Namu how do you know what the top marks eare?
For what? I don't know much about the other subjects though...

Shedow

HSC
I'll quote Giles from an old thread (from last year, I think):

"No one has got full marks since Anthony Henderson in 1993, so although the marks are meant to be top secret I suspect that if I did get 120/120 word would have got out."

dp624

HSC
Shedow said:
I'll quote Giles from an old thread (from last year, I think):

"No one has got full marks since Anthony Henderson in 1993, so although the marks are meant to be top secret I suspect that if I did get 120/120 word would have got out."
That's 4u i think. 3u i rkn would have a couple of full marks now and then

@Namu, how do you know whether the top marks are 110 etc and not 115? or something

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
That's 4u i think. 3u i rkn would have a couple of full marks now and then

@Namu, how do you know whether the top marks are 110 etc and not 115? or something
BOS stats from 1988-2000.

It is written on the 50 tips HSC Mathematics by Jeff Geha. It's actually from the actual BOS stats. I don't think they release it anymore...unfortunately.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Well I'm just saying that your internal assessments play a big role in determining state ranks.

My friend at SBHS, in modern:
Boy A: Internal 97 External 94 Overall 96
Boy B: Internal 94 External 97 Overall 96

Because boy B was not ranked first, he did not get his internal mark of 97 (as he did with his exam). As such, he did not get a state ranking - 97 was the cutoff for a modern history state ranking last year.
So Boy A got a state ranking purely because he earnt an aligned exam mark of 97?

And how do you know that 97 was the cutoff for a modern state ranking last year? The BOS isn't supposed to release that information. Is one of your teachers a senior marker or something?
[I'm glad you know though, that gives me hope for a state rank XD i think i got a pretty high raw mark; just wondering what it would align to - asked a modern marker and he said it's all dependent on the cohort. So we'll have to wait and see. Top 10 in the state would be excellent.]

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Source?

You are absolutely wrong.

At least my stats from BOS disagrees with you.

From 1990-2000, there have been 8 cases where the top mark wasn't even 120. There were 2 cases in there where the top mark in the STATE was 110.

From 2000-2007, there haven't been three state rankers top in the state. If we go with the assumption (which is probably true) that state-ranks are first determined by HSC mark, there haven't been 3 120s then.

Even if we go with the assumption that state ranks are determined by average HSC mark, there woudlnt' be more than 3 people getting 120s.

And this year was not the easiest paper ever (from my perspective) and no one can even say that this paper was the easiest paper as the general opinion will be different. AND how can you even make such an abysmal judgement - you didn't even do HSC Mathematic! You cannot really make a valid judgement to how easy/hard this exam is. Therefore, your opinion is void.
not necessarily, more ppl than 3 cud get 3 marks and not have a tie, if its by the hsc mark, like from my school, the guy who came first knows he didn't get full marks but other people think they did, so if the lower guys get full marks u wont have a 3 way tie at first

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
not necessarily, more ppl than 3 cud get 3 marks and not have a tie, if its by the hsc mark, like from my school, the guy who came first knows he didn't get full marks but other people think they did, so if the lower guys get full marks u wont have a 3 way tie at first
You didn't read my earlier part too. Not ALL HSC Mathematics exams had 120 as the top mark. So the chance of having 3+ 120s is unlikely - VERY.

And tell them to show their marks first. I really cannot interpret what you are saying purely based on their opinions. They always could have lost some marks even if they claimed to have got everything. And if we go by the assumption that HSC rank is first determined by HSC, if we have 3 people with different internal mark but different HSC mark, person who gets the top HSC mark will be the top ignoring the internal mark in that regards.

AND if we take into account that the state-rank is indeed determined by average of HSC and internal school result, since not all schools have same exam, people from different schools who got the same HSC mark and same rank in their respective schools, they would get the same HSC state-rank. What you are saying ONLY applies to the people in the same school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Smithereens said:
Can I have a link to your BoS stats?
Sorry, I don't know. I just got it from my 50 tips HSC Mathematics book by Jeff Geha. But I am pretty sure you can find it from BOS website even though I cannot make a definite guarantee.

HSC
It just proves mathematics exams are bullshit because most lost marks are just little mistakes. Give some extra time to take off the pressure and there would be hundreds who could get 120/120.

HSC
Yeah, I'm not saying state rankers don't deserve it. I'm just saying as a measurement of ability the exams are not very good.

Edit: Though I suppose I'm just being pedantic, and that's what bands are for.

runnable

HSC
Yea well if someone can get 120/120 in 240 mins and another person can get 120/120 EVENTUALLY, say 500 minutes, obviously A is better at maths.

HSC
Yeah. But if they both got 119/120 in 3 hours and one person took longer to find the mistake that cost 1 mark, there's really no difference. Anyway, just read my posts as "argh stupid mistakes how I hate thee".

runnable

HSC
Mate, theres always a difference, however minute. Unless 2 ppl can get the same marks in the exact same time etc.

Azreil

HSC
I disagree.

The inability to cope with stress does not equal = inability to do maths. You can be brilliant at maths and completely screw up exams because of other factors.

runnable

HSC
Stress is part of the game. It is an exam afterall. Otherwise BOS will just give us a sheet and tell us to hand it in after we've had our own relaxed, best session of maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)