State Rankings (1 Viewer)

Azreil

HSC
I'm not saying that it's not part of the HSC.

I'm saying it plays no part in determining your skill at maths.

The HSC can give you an idea of your skill in maths, but if you crack under pressure... it doesn't mean you're bad at maths. It means you can't deal with what the HSC throws at you.

Zephyrio

HSC
fallenstar said:
So Boy A got a state ranking purely because he earnt an aligned exam mark of 97?

And how do you know that 97 was the cutoff for a modern state ranking last year? The BOS isn't supposed to release that information. Is one of your teachers a senior marker or something?
[I'm glad you know though, that gives me hope for a state rank XD i think i got a pretty high raw mark; just wondering what it would align to - asked a modern marker and he said it's all dependent on the cohort. So we'll have to wait and see. Top 10 in the state would be excellent.]
No, neither received state rankings. 96 was close, but I guess no cigar.

Tenth place in modern last year was 97, so if my deductions are correct...

As for the state ranking in modern, that would sweet. I think I earned a good raw mark too but my philosophy is not to expect much because the most likely outcome is not receiving a state rank.

Azreil

HSC
I tell it to myself to make myself feel better about how badly I screwed up extension maths :]

But I agreed with it before that happened, I promise! =p

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Namu is correct. The top mark in 2U is often 99.
Not true. Every year as far as I can remember, except for 2006, the first in state has always been 100. Someone usually always gets full marks in 2 unit or Extension 1 Maths, regardless of the difficulty of the paper.

Zephyrio

HSC
I stand corrected.

But the point stands that you don't get multiple 100's very much. Last year, a girl came second in the state with 99, so, yeah.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Shedow said:
I'll quote Giles from an old thread (from last year, I think):

"No one has got full marks since Anthony Henderson in 1993, so although the marks are meant to be top secret I suspect that if I did get 120/120 word would have got out."
As for Extension 2 Maths, Anthony Henderson (who is now a lecturer at Usyd btw lol) came EQUAL first with someone else in 1993. I don't know why he's getting all the credit....lol
See for yourself:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/OM_CM_1993_12_20172.htm

morning storm

HSC
lyounamu said:
If I get a state-rank, that's good. If I don't, meh, I will still have another year to make up for it. And I will still have luxury to celebrate morning storm and my another accelerant mate getting state-ranks.
haha you are very kind namu, but i did horribly. i made some hideously poor mistakes. it just wasnt my day. i wont even beat what i got last year im afraid. felt like crying after haha, doing maths again had been a total waste of time.

still, if you and J.D get 120/120, you will have made the school proud, and that will be enough for me :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Not true. Every year as far as I can remember, except for 2006, the first in state has always been 100. Someone usually always gets full marks in 2 unit or Extension 1 Maths, regardless of the difficulty of the paper.
No getting 100 doesn't necessarily mean that they got full marks in terms of raw marks.

It's just that moderating procedure put the marks upwards. As I said before, I don't think no one got full mark in 2003 HSC paper and the guy who came first in the state was from our school but he still ended up getting 100 aligned mark. I think he still got 100 aligned mark because the exam was relatively hard meaning that the marks were spread out.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
morning storm said:
haha you are very kind namu, but i did horribly. i made some hideously poor mistakes. it just wasnt my day. i wont even beat what i got last year im afraid. felt like crying after haha, doing maths again had been a total waste of time.

still, if you and J.D get 120/120, you will have made the school proud, and that will be enough for me :)
Damn, what a pity.

But you will still get 95+ easy.

u-borat: I just woke up...

dp624

HSC
Anyone know what marks are needed for Chem Phys state ranks?
97+?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Does state ranking student get to go Canberra and shake hand?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
chewy123 said:
Does state ranking student get to go Canberra and shake hand?
No, those who came first or qualify for the premiers excellence award might get to shake hands with the education minister, premier or even the governer of nsw Marie Bashir if your lucky.

Zephyrio

HSC
dp624 said:
Anyone know what marks are needed for Chem Phys state ranks?
97+?
Typically, around for phys it's 97+. For chem, you need to get around 96 (I think the 96's are ranked because there are a few).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lyounamu said:
No getting 100 doesn't necessarily mean that they got full marks in terms of raw marks.

It's just that moderating procedure put the marks upwards. As I said before, I don't think no one got full mark in 2003 HSC paper and the guy who came first in the state was from our school but he still ended up getting 100 aligned mark. I think he still got 100 aligned mark because the exam was relatively hard meaning that the marks were spread out.
A technical note: moderating refers to modifcation of school assessment marks and aligning refers to modification in accordance to the external exams.

I know that 100 doesn't necessarily mean full marks in raw, but I'd imagine it would be the case in 2 unit Maths. The likelihood of getting full marks in 2 unit is very high, and it would be a very rare event if no-one did (like 2006). If there are a lot of 100s, then one could conclude that a lot them are actually 99.5 (average of 100 and 99) and the top would have to be full marks internally and externally.

As for the guy that topped the state in 03, do you know for sure what raw mark he obtained?

The process is a bit more clearer on Extension courses though. Any ties in extension courses are resolved by comparing corresponding 2 unit marks (or possibly Extension 2 mark).

We can only speculate at this time. We don't have raw data to know for sure.

dp624

HSC
Zephyrio said:
Typically, around for phys it's 97+. For chem, you need to get around 96 (I think the 96's are ranked because there are a few).
Is this raw mark? Because yea i know 97~ aligned is state rank

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Zephyrio said:
No, neither received state rankings. 96 was close, but I guess no cigar.

Tenth place in modern last year was 97, so if my deductions are correct...

As for the state ranking in modern, that would sweet. I think I earned a good raw mark too but my philosophy is not to expect much because the most likely outcome is not receiving a state rank.
Tenth place in Modern last year got 97 as their overall HSC mark? or aligned exam mark?
(This has probably been ascertained already, but I have forgotten.)
Good philosophy though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)