"Stephenie Meyers can't write" - Stephen King (1 Viewer)

ieatbarbies

HSC
  1. I have read and finished all books in the Twilight series.
  2. I own all four books
  3. Peace? :shoot:
Stephenie Meyer dreamed up Edward Cullen, a vegetarian vampire who sports a beige jacket and poloneck, while Stephen King gave us Kurt Barlow, the ancient master vampire who wreaks havoc on the town of 'Salem's Lot. The two bestselling authors were never going to see eye to eye over their portrayal of bloodsuckers, but this week King went so far as to rubbish Meyer's writing abilities in an interview.
King compared the Mormon author to JK Rowling, saying that both authors were "speaking directly to young people". "The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good," he told an interviewer from USA Weekend.
King also drew a comparison between Meyer and Perry Mason mystery writer Erle Stanley Gardner. "He was a terrible writer, too, but he was very successful," he said, going on to criticise prolific thriller author James Patterson - "a terrible writer but he's very successful" - and fellow horror author Dean Koontz, who although he "can write like hell", is sometimes "just awful".
Meyer's quartet of books - Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - trace the love story between ordinary girl Bella and vampire Edward, throwing in a pack of werewolves, a coven of vampire royalty and a vampire baby for good measure. They have sold millions of copies worldwide, with sales receiving a huge boost from the film of the first book, Twilight, which was released late last year.
King went on to say that it was "very clear" Meyer was "opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books". He told USA Weekend: "It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they're not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."
Meyer's fans have rushed to her defence. "Steven [sic] King doesn't know what a real book was if it hit him in the face. He's just a bloody guy who is jealous of Edward's good looks," wrote poster Kiki Alice Cullen. "King is no Gabriel Garcia Marquez so I don't understand why he gets to say who is a good writer and who is not," agreed another, while a third, who wished she could "just hit this guy", suggested that "we twilighters should send him tons of hate mail ... just to show him how many twilight fans he just pissed off."

Not to bring all Twilight vs The Rest of the World on again but just might like to share this.

Opinions?

LoneWolf1990

HSC
Twilight sucks, simple as that, like in all romance movies/novels nothing happens, as for the Edward guy he was better off deceased when Voldemort 'The Allmighty' killed him in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Those responses make me think those "twilighters" don't even know who the fuck Stephen King is.

This one is the best:

""Steven King doesn't know what a real book was if it hit him in the face. He's just a bloody guy who is jealous of Edward's good looks,"

Ah, so witty. Such an intelligent mind, this twilighter!

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
i like twilght to an extent. but i agree with king 100%. lol at "jealous of edwards good looks"

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Twilight is shithouse and lame and I cannot understand why so many people find it so great.

Stephen King is infinitely better at everything.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Stephen King should rewrite Twilight with ravenous, murderous vampires.

liamthegreat

HSC
N/A
Meyers is a poor man's Rowling

she stole Rowling's main idea: of having interaction between magic + non magic (i.e. muggles and wizards co-existing)

HSC
Hm. I kind of wanted to read all the HP books before uni starts, but I suppose it's not feasible at this point :(

E

Empyrean444

Those responses make me think those "twilighters" don't even know who the fuck Stephen King is.

This one is the best:

""Steven King doesn't know what a real book was if it hit him in the face. He's just a bloody guy who is jealous of Edward's good looks,"

Ah, so witty. Such an intelligent mind, this twilighter!
Lol, the dunce probably learnt her grammar from Twilight.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
i would like to see just how a good author would write the twilight storyline. some of meyers wording makes me cringe. but i still love jasper.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
"Steven [sic] King doesn't know what a real book was if it hit him in the face. He's just a bloody guy who is jealous of Edward's good looks," wrote poster Kiki Alice Cullen.
lol! this just cracked me up... she's probably about um 10 but still...bahahaha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)