"Stephenie Meyers can't write" - Stephen King (1 Viewer)

HSC
"Steven [sic] King doesn't know what a real book was if it hit him in the face. He's just a bloody guy who is jealous of Edward's good looks,"

that would have to be the worst sentence i've ever read, to downplay stephen kings writing skill, is horrible enough on its own, but to say Meyer can write better???

THIS. is the reason people think teenagers are so fucked up.....

Yomo

HSC
I'd be more worried about how overbearing and paternalistic he is to her, and how much she loves it, than whether or not he's a "real" vampire. It's slightly frightening. He won't let her drive. He follows her without her knowledge. The man even watches her sleep. Are we supposed to think that's a good thing? I'm all for fantasy, but I found Edward and his influence over Bella to be disturbing and repulsive, given how much effort was put in to making this story match up to the readers' real lives; how young those readers are and how much in love they all seem to be with this figure.
The message I got was, don't bother with real life. A wealthy, beautiful, fast-car-driving superhuman who will never age and is completely and utterly in love with you for little or no discernible reason is going to sweep in and keep you as his pet for the rest of your life. Ignore everything else.

Am I the only one who got this vibe?
lol agreed...edward is one creepy mofo

i love the hate for twi-tards goin on right here

HSC
I'll get around to reading the copy of King's On Writing on my shelf some day. Perhaps Meyers should do the same.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Stephen King is the man. He's not afraid of telling it how he sees it. (Probably wants to go out with a bang)
Like when he gets shot by a Twi-tard?

It's called convetion and vampires are supposed to be an imbodiment of pure evil. They are undead and soul-less. The notion that they sparkle is ridiculous. Edward might as well just be Peter Parkers cousin rather than a vampire. Flawless characters = flawed book.
I don't know; some of the great vampire books I've read have diverged from convention. I reckon if you got a really good author to write Stephenie Meyer's ideas (with regards to vampire mythology - NOT her plots), it could be done well.

With regards to her PLOT, Mormon connotations much?

Bella: Oh Edward, I so want you to bite me!
Edward: I know Bella, and I want to bite you. But we must supress our urges, for they are naughty and wrong! We must first get married, then shall I bite you!
Bella: Then let's get married right away!

[Insert "plot"]

LordPc

HSC
I don't know; some of the great vampire books I've read have diverged from convention. I reckon if you got a really good author to write Stephenie Meyer's ideas (with regards to vampire mythology - NOT her plots), it could be done well.
well you can bend convention slightly and it is still acceptable. but shining vampires who are also supermen (fly, super strength, super speed. this is from the movie mind you. yes, I'm disappointed in myself too) is a bit too far from convention to still be considered ok.

i also thought vampires sleep in coffins during the day (or something like this) and turn into bats as well. and i've never heard of the vampires vs. werewolves thing before

nope, the only convention being kept, where they suck blood, and even so, its very only weakly being respected as they dont even feast on humans. yea, I wouldnt call that a vampire.

its like calling a fish a dragon. "they both have scales. thats close enough for me."

u-borat

Banned
HSC
are you kidding?

vampire vs werewolf is a pretty well-established convention

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
well you can bend convention slightly and it is still acceptable. but shining vampires who are also supermen (fly, super strength, super speed. this is from the movie mind you. yes, I'm disappointed in myself too) is a bit too far from convention to still be considered ok.

i also thought vampires sleep in coffins during the day (or something like this) and turn into bats as well. and i've never heard of the vampires vs. werewolves thing before

nope, the only convention being kept, where they suck blood, and even so, its very only weakly being respected as they dont even feast on humans. yea, I wouldnt call that a vampire.

its like calling a fish a dragon. "they both have scales. thats close enough for me."

1. Vampires (nearly) always have super speed and strength. This has been so since the days of Anne Rice, and even before that in the days of dracula.
  2. In Dracula the vampire can turn into bats, and this has been replicated quite often in pop culture, but many of the founding vampire novels (again, Rice's "Vampire Chronicles") do not include this particular feature.
  3. True, many novels depict vampires sleeping in coffins, but it is not essential (some early vampire novels do not include it).
  4. Vampires vs Werewolves has been done.
  5. Many vampires have chosen not to drink human blood, often choosing rats as a substitute.
So, the vampires created by Meyers, however pitiful and badly characterized, were vampires. It's her writing and plot-lines that are terrible. Take a good writer and give them a bad concept (say, warped vampire mythology), and they can make gold out of it.

HSC

vampires vs. werewolves is old news.
other contemporary example: underworld: vampires vs. lycans aka WEREWOLVES
Its seriously one of the oldest supernatural conflicts ever.

In Twilight, they do talk about drinking human blood. Some of the vampires in the novel do and some of the "vegetarian" vampires had done so before they chose to rely solely on animal blood.

Its true, Meyer is a shitty shitty writer. Think of some of today's leading stereotypes, i.e. emo/scene/hardcore/goth. She just knew what would appeal to the masses and she made up for her shitty writing ability by telling you so much about the characters themselves that you cared what happened to them. Characterisation is a huge benefit to crappy writers.

I read Twilight cause it was brainless and I didn't have to think while reading it. It's basically in the same league as trashy magazines for me.

Lol @ all the "fanpires" that knocked Stephen King's work, bet they've never read a single novel by him.

Fucking lol @ the name 'Kiki Alice Cullen'

M

Mon-chan

Stephen King should rewrite Twilight with ravenous, murderous vampires.

haha agreed. anyone read 'salem's lot? That was his first book, bloody awesome. Vampires chasing people around, pretty much the whole town dies. Not a very happy ending.

& real bloodsucking vamps, none of the romancey stuff by meyers. It was like an intense Dracula.

cassieagill

HSC
Twilight was successful because meyer was able to make her audience fall in love with her characters, her writing is fairly mediocre...(i love the books!)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
no, thats a fallacy.

twilight gives its audience, primarily teenage girls, an outlet to express their innermost fantasies- being swept off their feet by some perfect, immortal creature.

i daresay it played on meyer's mind too while she wrote it.

many-eyeshere

HSC
He's quite right...but the irony is he can't write either:p!

Both authors can go and read WELL written fiction.

Problem with Meyer:

1. Has no gramatical knowledge

2. Over uses the same adjectives

3. Twilight is actually her wet dreams documented.

4. Bella and Edward are Mary-Sues all the way.

5. Comerically written for thirteen year old girls, not for quality. Just sales.

I'll stop there, but I could go on.

Now onto Mr. King:

1. Not scary, relies on lots of blood and gory for shock response.

2. All main protagonists are him (with different name).

3. Has stupid plots. (If you want good horror look into Poppy. Z. Brite).

4. All his novels summarised:

"A lonely author is depressed/ has writers' block, goes to a small town/and or road trip to find inspiration and then EVIL COMES HIS WAY." Also note: always some scary/mute kid who sees the future.

5. Since all his novels are turned into movies, I vomit everytime I see the ads on tv. This happens quite a lot. Because of him I am now bulimic:).

Hope I haven't made anyone cry or combust in twitard/Kingfag rage, just stating my opinion.

Have a nice day:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)