"Student challenges ruling on her HSC" (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It may appear this way but the party suing is "the daughter" not "the mother".

So obviously the daughter cared enough to have her name out there.
Asian mothers are diabolical creatures. As I said, this is likely an extreme case.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Asian mothers are diabolical creatures. As I said, this is likely an extreme case.
The daughter seems like a highly capable human being.

But who in their right mind would want to tarnish their reputation. Which is pretty much what she is letting her mother do, if she is being "controlled" as you suggest.

So I would argue she wanted this just as much as her mother.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The daughter seems like a highly capable human being.

But who in their right mind would want to tarnish their reputation. Which is pretty much what she is letting her mother do, if she is being "controlled" as you suggest.

So I would argue she wanted this just as much as her mother.
Mother probably told her that she would be disowned if she didn't comply.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I get the vibe that the daughter doesn't actually care about this, with the mother in reality being the driving force behind this.

I could imagine her bragging to her friends that her daughter got 99.95 and then the friends asking why she didn't get 100. Asian mothers are typically characterised by this pushy attitude so I wouldn't be surprised if this one was one of the more extreme.
I agree.

Asians' above average study habits are a product of Asian Parents. Many Asian parents contribute to things like:
- My child needs to be a doctor
- My child needs to Extension 2 Mathematics
- I will force my child to go tutoring for him/her to get higher marks at school

Asian parents are definitely the driving force most of the time.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Mother probably told her that she would be disowned if she didn't comply.
As i said she appears to be a highly capable person, and if she was threatened to be disowned/troubles at home, she has avenues/resources to live independently or with other family members. Especially now that she would have been an adult when this case was brought forward.

I agree.

Asians' above average study habits are a product of Asian Parents. Many Asian parents contribute to things like:
- My child needs to be a doctor
- My child needs to Extension 2 Mathematics
- I will force my child to go tutoring for him/her to get higher marks at school

Asian parents are definitely the driving force most of the time.
This is true but as i said above she would have been an ADULT by this time.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As i said she appears to be a highly capable person, and if she was threatened to be disowned/troubles at home, she has avenues/resources to live independently or with other family members. Especially now that she would have been an adult when this case was brought forward.
I can tell you're underestimating the cultural significance in Asia of following your elders. If you disrespect you're parents to a certain degree, you're pretty much ostracised from the entire extended family.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
I can tell you're underestimating the cultural significance in Asia of following your elders. If you disrespect you're parents to a certain degree, you're pretty much ostracised from the entire extended family.
Then live independently.

Anyways I would hope a reasonable family member would see that this is such a ridiculous reason to disown a child. I mean if they were taking drugs sure. But this?

I understand "Asian + academics" are very important "virtues" but in all honesty she had nothing really to gain.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Then live independently.

Anyways I would hope a reasonable family member would see that this is such a ridiculous reason to disown a child. I mean if they were taking drugs sure. But this?

I understand "Asian + academics" are very important "virtues" but in all honesty she had nothing really to gain.
It's so ingrained in the culture that I'm not surprised that there would be obsessives out there. I can see this being phased out gradually among second-generation Asian Australians and it couldn't come sooner.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
It's so ingrained in the culture that I'm not surprised that there would be obsessives out there. I can see this being phased out gradually among second-generation Asian Australians and it couldn't come sooner.
Personally I'm Asian and my parents go against the stereotype and have been laissez faire with my upbringing and education.
So from that experience I think I'll be a "Tiger" parent in raising my kids since if kids could have the choice they'd spent their time doing nothing.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
she was offered a scribe and declined it . what more could they offer ?

sweetiez09

HSC
Not happy with 99.95 ATAR!

Thought this would be an interesting read:

http://www.news.com.au/national/som...0-is-good-enough/story-fndo4eg9-1226416740429

So the mother of this student was clearly not happy that her kid received an ATAR of 99.95 and took it to court to try and get a 100?
The mother claims that her daughter was discriminated against.. Hmmm.
Im pretty sure a 100 ATAR is impossible anyway.

Since when did a parent become unhappy with their child bringing home the result of a 99.95 ATAR?
I think it's pretty stupid. She got into her course so I really don't see what the fuss is about.

What are your opinions on this?

medicore

HSC
Re: Not happy with 99.95 ATAR!

99.95 & not happy really lol?
People are happy with 80 +
that means shes top of the state with 99.95 who wouldn't be happy?

Examine

same
HSC

Thought this would be an interesting read:

http://www.news.com.au/national/som...0-is-good-enough/story-fndo4eg9-1226416740429

So the mother of this student was clearly not happy that her kid received an ATAR of 99.95 and took it to court to try and get a 100?
The mother claims that her daughter was discriminated against.. Hmmm.
Im pretty sure a 100 ATAR is impossible anyway.

Since when did a parent become unhappy with their child bringing home the result of a 99.95 ATAR?
I think it's pretty stupid. She got into her course so I really don't see what the fuss is about.

What are your opinions on this?
It was UAI back in the time, and could reach 100.

HSC

this was in 2008 so it was still UAI hence u can get 100 lol

Siddy123

HSC

she's in her course, Medicine.
what's an extra 0.05 atar gonna do?

Thief

!!
HSC

haha lol @ that BOS mention. But yes, I think there was another thread on this a while back?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

It's ridiculous, and an example of a first world problem which is bloody ridiculous.
she's in her course, Medicine.
what's an extra 0.05 atar gonna do?
Both no doubt, very true. it's pretty depressing to see somebody fight for some stupid mark in an exam which doesn't hold that much value in post HSC period.

haha lol @ that BOS mention. But yes, I think there was another thread on this a while back?
Yep.

Siddy123

HSC

It's ridiculous, and an example of a first world problem which is bloody ridiculous.
medicine and fighting for 0.05
i know who im not going to when im sick....
where u at mthe meet today>?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)