Study for yearlies or not? (1 Viewer)

Sxmm

HSC
My yearly exams are coming very soon, starting in week 2, term 4. I was wondering if it's even worth trying anymore. I have put so much work in from the start of the year up until now and got the subjects that I want to do in year 11 and 12. I chose my subjects in term 3 and I'm pretty confident that my subjects are secured. Other than adopting good study habits, is there any other reason to study for my term 4 yearly exams?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
My yearly exams are coming very soon, starting in week 2, term 4. I was wondering if it's even worth trying anymore. I have put so much work in from the start of the year up until now and got the subjects that I want to do in year 11 and 12. I chose my subjects in term 3 and I'm pretty confident that my subjects are secured. Other than adopting good study habits, is there any other reason to study for my term 4 yearly exams?
Another reason to study for your term 4 exams would be to see how you are progressing, and get a good overview of what you're good at and what you can improve. I'd worry more about the subjects that you intend to continue with or similar subjects you will be taking in the senior years. If you do this then you will be able to, as you already said, build better study habits because you are able to assess where improvement can take place and you can fix this for future exams.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
What's the downside to studying and doing well in your exams?

Sxmm

HSC
What's the downside to studying and doing well in your exams?
Studying takes a lot of time out of my day and I just want to know if doing bad in my exam affects anything in terms of subjects for year 11 and 12.

c8

HSC
Studying takes a lot of time out of my day and I just want to know if doing bad in my exam affects anything in terms of subjects for year 11 and 12.
It doesn't unless there's something specific to your school so no honestly you don't need to study. I know many many people who didn't even care about school in junior years but still did well in year 11 or maybe even just in year 12. BUT it sets a really bad precedent for year 11 and 12. What if you get to year 11 and decide oh this doesn't contribute to year 12 so might as well not try. You'll probs say that's not you but past performance is the best indicator of future performance so take it as you will.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
You'll have the 6 week holidays to rest, I can't imagine studying takes that much time anyway. You can also wake up earlier to study before school at like 5 am get 2hrs in and go to school, do work there, come home rest a bit study a few more hours and it doesn't feel like that much work but you can study 4hrs on top of school. You can also take days off school to study for exams. If instead of studying you're not going to do anything useful for yourself, you should prob just study.

I did nothing in Y10 and Y11 and if I could go back in time I would def choose to study and work harder. It didn't affect me but my Y11 yearly report was really bad which wasn't very uplifting but because I didn't care and put no effort in it didn't put me down mentally. As someone above said that it sets a bad precedent, a lot of ppl in my year kept on doing nothing in Y12 and are doing really bad now. Most ppl who did well in Y10 and Y11 are still doing well in Y12 so that's def something to consider.

jojosiwa123

HSC
as others have said it may set a precedent for yr 11 and 12... especially with year 11 you still need to stay focused because you might be applying for early entry- some universities may look at ur yr 11 marks so it's good to be consistent. it won't hurt to study more...esp for maths and eng u get more practice in which will benefit u next year.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Some schools might drop you from your chosen subjects if you don't perform well enough in exams.

Which subjects have you chosen for next year?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, skill-wise practising areas such as exam technique early in a less stressful environment where you can makes mistakes is beneficial. Means that you can better learn what works for you studying wise, and what does not.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Would recommend to study. Not studying and relaxing too much can lead to bad habits in terms of studying. While it is true that it won't directly effect your Year 11 and 12 subjects, it sets a bad example for yourself. Think of it in terms of if that becomes a habit to just "chill" and go through the exams without studying it can then become hard to break as you will continue to procrastinate. Studying is like any other thing in life, you need to be consistent and the motivation comes from that. The best case scenario is you pick it back up in Year 11 in that case but the worst case scenario is you form a poor habit and then continue to do that during Year 11 and 12 which will then negatively impact you. In my opinion I would rather avoid that situation all together. Maybe you don't have to work completely hard out but you should at least be doing something

Sxmm

HSC
Some schools might drop you from your chosen subjects if you don't perform well enough in exams.

Which subjects have you chosen for next year?
Extension Maths, PDHPE, SOR 1 unit, chem, bio, adv eng

Sxmm

HSC
Would recommend to study. Not studying and relaxing too much can lead to bad habits in terms of studying. While it is true that it won't directly effect your Year 11 and 12 subjects, it sets a bad example for yourself. Think of it in terms of if that becomes a habit to just "chill" and go through the exams without studying it can then become hard to break as you will continue to procrastinate. Studying is like any other thing in life, you need to be consistent and the motivation comes from that. The best case scenario is you pick it back up in Year 11 in that case but the worst case scenario is you form a poor habit and then continue to do that during Year 11 and 12 which will then negatively impact you. In my opinion I would rather avoid that situation all together. Maybe you don't have to work completely hard out but you should at least be doing something
Thank you for this, I'll start trying for my exams but not work as hard.

studiesofboard

HSC
Why not. :) You should get into the habit of studying because year 11 and 12 is gonna be a tough ride and you need to be able to keep your balance if you wanna do well. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)