Study tips :3 (1 Viewer)

Stelleee

HSC
[h=2]Find your study space[/h]Everyone has their own idea about the best place to study. Find a space that works for you and stick with it.

• Watch your favourite television program, spend time with your friends, walk to the park and play sport throughout the week.
  • Do you prefer to study in silence or listen to music?
  • Do you work better alone or with other people?
  • Do you like to study at home or at school/uni/TAFE/library?
[h=2]Be organised[/h]Make sure you have all the materials you need in your study space before you start studying. Getting up to look for a pencil sharpener or ruler will break your concentration and waste your time.
[h=2]Clear your mind[/h]If you’ve got a lot on your mind take a moment to write yourself some notes about what you're thinking about before you start studying. This will help to clear your mind you focus all your thoughts on your work.
It’s also a good idea to keep some spare paper next to you while you’re studying so if you think of anything you need to do later you can write it down and put it out of your mind, then get on with the studying.
[h=2]Get motivated[/h]Think about what it will mean for you if you do well in your studies. How will it make you feel? If you keep the end result in mind it will help you stay motivated.
You might like to find a quote or an image or something that represents success for you and put it somewhere you can see it while you’re studying.
[h=2]Plan your time (and use it well)
[/h]It helps to plan when you will study and how you can make the most of your study time.
Use a calendar or a list of dates or a wall planner to keep track of exam dates and assignment due dates. Plan ahead. Space out your study time each week for the whole term/semester - don’t try to cram it all in the night before!
Do the hardest work when you’re feeling your best. Save the easy stuff for when you’re tired.
Set yourself a time limit for each task and follow it.
[h=2]Know your learning style[/h]Most of us have a preferred way of learning. Get to know your learning style and study in the ways you learn best.
Auditory learners learn by listening. If you’re an auditory learner you could try reading your notes aloud and discussing them with other people. You might like to record key points and play them back.
Visual learners learn by seeing. If you’re a visual learner you could use colours in your notes and draw diagrams to help represent key points. You could try to remember some ideas as images.
Tactile/kinesthetic learners learn by doing. If you’re a tactile/kinesthetic learner you could use methods like role-playing or building models to revise key points.

Use your notes

Taking detailed notes in class will save you heaps of time later. Re-writing and adding to your notes is a great way to revise what you’ve learned.

[h=2]Make your own study materials[/h]Think up some practice exam questions or create your own flash cards to help you study. This way you learn it all twice: once when you make the study materials and twice when you use them to revise.
[h=2]Test yourself[/h]Don’t wait for an exam to test your knowledge – test yourself first. Get a friend or family member to quiz you on key concepts or offer to help other students with their work. It’s a great way to get confident with what you do know and find out what you still need to learn!
[h=2]Take time out[/h]You study better when you're feeling good. So make sure you eat well and get enough sleep. Exercise is great but don’t overdo it.
It’s also a good idea to schedule regular breaks when you’re studying and keep hydrated. You’ll study better if you take care of yourself.
[h=2]Come up with your own strategies[/h]Remember - these tips are only some of the things that you can do to get the most out of your studying. There might be other things that work even better for you.

Ask around - find out what your friends do when they're studying - maybe some of their tricks will work for you too! Maybe your teachers have some good recommendations too.

Whatever it is, whatever strategy you come up with, when you find something that works for you, put it into practise and go for it!

Look after yourself
Drink plenty of fluids, especially water, and eat healthy foods. Keep sugary foods to a minimum. Make sure you get enough sleep each night. Regular physical exercise makes you feel great, boosts your energy and helps you relax. So try to keep up regular sporting activities or at least fit in some regular exercise as often as you can.

Reward yourself for studying

1. Have variety in your study program
    Study different subjects each day and do different types of work and revision in each study session.
  2. Avoid interrupting your concentration
    Have all the appropriate materials with you before you start a session of study to minimise distractions.
  3. Test yourself on what you have studied
    Ask your parents or family members to quiz you on what you have learnt, use draft questions from books, past assessments or major exam papers.
  4. Don't panic at exam time
    If you have followed a study routine and have been revising your class work, there should be no need to worry. Try to keep yourself calm, positive and confident.
  5. Ask your teachers for guidance
    Especially if you're having trouble - whether it's grasping a new concept or understanding something you learnt earlier in the year. They will be happy to help.
[h=1]Coffee and drugs[/h]
  • Coffee is a stimulant and can make you feel more alert, but it can reduce your concentration and make you irritable if you drink too much. If you normally feel brighter in the morning after a cup of coffee, then have what you would normally drink. Another around lunchtime would probably be OK as well. But do not suddenly increase the amount of coffee you drink. It is important to try and be in a similar frame of mind during study and when sitting exams. Drinking a lot of coffee at night to help you stay awake to study does not help you to remember what you are trying to learn. Lack of sleep will catch up with you.
  • Energy drinks with lots of caffeine in them also can make it very hard to think clearly.
  • Street drugs will not improve your ability to study or sit exams. As with coffee, experimenting with stimulants around exam time will reduce your ability to concentrate.
  • Depressants like alcohol will only reduce your normal ability.
  • Look after yourself
  • A balanced diet is an important part of being in control of your study habits.
    • Fresh fruit and vegetables will give you reserves of energy and increase your ability to concentrate.
    • Avoid junk food and foods high in sugar.

• A regular sleeping pattern and some relaxation is important.
    • You may find you nearly fall asleep every time you sit down to study.
    • Don't stay awake all night trying to study. Get a good night's sleep and try to study in the morning when you are fresh.
If you are finding it hard to sleep, wait until you have calmed down before going to bed. Wind down after study and try some relaxation exercises.

Having regular exercise will keep your mind active, help you to sleep at night and is a great way to have a break when you find your concentration is dropping.

• Just jump on the bike, run around the block or take the dog for a walk.
    • It is worth investing the time in exercise for the mental boost you will receive

• Think about a positive statement you can tell yourself when you're feeling signs of stress (examples are "I feel relaxed and calm" or "I feel peaceful" or "no-one can annoy me").
      • Tell yourself positive statements every day (examples: "I am good at ….", "I have inner strength", "I have true beauty within", "all is well", "I feel peaceful now").
      • Picture seeing yourself in a positive situation - one that you want to move towards (eg see yourself doing that test and being relaxed about it and doing well, picture the teacher reading your test and being impressed on how well you did).
      • Remind yourself of things you've done well in the past (I did well on that school project last year, this means I can do it again).
      • Look at the big picture - will it really matter in 5 years? Will the world stop turning if it does/doesn't happen?
      • Work on what you can control, accept the rest and let it go.
      • You can even make a tape of your own voice saying positive, relaxing, supportive things.

p3rf3ction

HSC
nice job, dont we all have trials to study for? How courteous of you

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Every bit of what Stelle has said is true. So Year 11s pay careful attention.

enoilgam

HSC
*Stickied*

Great post Stellee - a must read for all future HSC students.

Cheesecake_a

HSC

I like the point of imagining your teacher being impressed with your work. :)

I don't know if i am allowed to, but i would like to share this really good pdf with things like this?

Idk though because maybe sharing isn't allowed like copyright or something lol

But anyone interested? It really helped me. :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

I like the point of imagining your teacher being impressed with your work. :)

I don't know if i am allowed to, but i would like to share this really good pdf with things like this?

Idk though because maybe sharing isn't allowed like copyright or something lol

But anyone interested? It really helped me. :)
It depends where it's from. Without knowing the source, I can't really say if it's under copyright or not.

Stelleee

HSC
Use it however you want :) I'm pretty sure I accumulated it all from a whole lot of different sites with what I thought were the best tips. Looking back, I have absolutely no idea how I had the time or the motivation to do this hahaha!

johan10

HSC
Students searching for High School Study Tips: Three Steps to Better Grades! found the links, articles, and information on this page helpful.

emily94

HSC
These tips are gold :) I am struggling so much at the moment... I have 0 motivation to study :(

mickk794

HSC
Thanks.
Seriously just starting to revise for english now. Have had no motivation and had procrastinated heaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)