• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Studying? ATAR of 95+ still possible? (1 Viewer)

Aiming_High

HSC
Hey,

I'm new here and just wanted to ask you guys what you think about my situation.

Well I'm in year 11. I basically bludged my way through year 7 - 10 and during my half yearlies this year I did real bad because I wasn't use to the whole studying or anything.

I looked over my work for a lil while and then just went into the exam and basically failed nearly everything. I was so depressed about it even though it was all my fault. Anyway I ''woke'' up when I recieved my half yearly marks and decided to straighten out.

Now my marks are average 70's - sometimes early 80's. I know this year is seen as the year to find the write studying pattern for yourself but I still can't seem to find one and its really getting to me, because in 5 weeks time I'll be in year 12 and I'm afraid I'll get a really bad ATAR.

So if anyone can help with any ideas of trying the best study plan and how to actually study properly (anyone care to share what they do?) ?

and can I still recieve a ATAR of 95+ ?

Any help will be appreciated.

TheStallion

HSC
Of course you can still get 95+, you haven't done any HSC work yet. It'll be tough, but if you get into some decent study habits now and improve your test marks, then you'll be fine.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey,

Well I'm in year 11. I basically bludged my way through year 7 - 10 and during my half yearlies this year I did real bad because I wasn't use to the whole studying or anything.

I looked over my work for a lil while and then just went into the exam and basically failed nearly everything. I was so depressed about it even though it was all my fault. Anyway I ''woke'' up when I recieved my half yearly marks and decided to straighten out.

Now my marks are average 70's - sometimes early 80's. I know this year is seen as the year to find the write studying pattern for yourself but I still can't seem to find one and its really getting to me, because in 5 weeks time I'll be in year 12 and I'm afraid I'll get a really bad ATAR.

So if anyone can help with any ideas of trying the best study plan and how to actually study properly (anyone care to share what they do?) ?

Everyone's different. You should try to formulate your own unique study method that suits you.

There are some factors you may consider:
- Your body nature (Are you a morning/night person?)
- How long do you sleep?
- How much time can you afford for studying?
- How many subjects do you do?
- Which subjects need more attention and less attention?
- When can you concentrate best?

Here is my own example. My best subject would be Business Studies, therefore, I invest relatively little time for it. But at the same time, I invest great amount of time for English and Biology which are my worst subjects.

For subjects like Bio and Biz, I find note taking best way to study. I also read over notes and do past papers before exams. I make sure I do lots of past papers.

For subjects like maths, it's a different story. Screw note taking...well that's just me. So I just do past papers and go over solutions.

So different study method may be adopted for different subject too.

What about time? I study maths during periods when I find it difficult to study and I study my worst subjects during study when I find it easy to study. You HAVE to be strategic with study plan and etc.

gl

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Everyone's different. You should try to formulate your own unique study method that suits you.

There are some factors you may consider:
- Your body nature (Are you a morning/night person?)
- How long do you sleep?
- How much time can you afford for studying?
- How many subjects do you do?
- Which subjects need more attention and less attention?
- When can you concentrate best?

Here is my own example. My best subject would be Business Studies, therefore, I invest relatively little time for it. But at the same time, I invest great amount of time for English and Biology which are my worst subjects.

For subjects like Bio and Biz, I find note taking best way to study. I also read over notes and do past papers before exams. I make sure I do lots of past papers.

For subjects like maths, it's a different story. Screw note taking...well that's just me. So I just do past papers and go over solutions.

So different study method may be adopted for different subject too.

What about time? I study maths during periods when I find it difficult to study and I study my worst subjects during study when I find it easy to study. You HAVE to be strategic with study plan and etc.

gl
I agree. +1

Oh and don't leave things to the last minute. :burn::burn:

Brontecat

HSC
personally i find that making up a timetable for monday to thursday helps me to prioritise my tasks and always leaves me with enough time to do homework, study and assignments for each subject as long as i appropriately plan my time. e.g i know i struggle with maths so i have more 1/2 hour blocks of maths than any other subject.

for study i make notes based on the syllabus dotpoints and if possible i go ahead of the class by looking in my textbook and at hsc online - this helps me to understand what's being learnt and makes all my classwork just revision.

after i've finished the next few topics or when i have a test coming up i go back and re-summarise my notes - do some past paper or txtbk questions relating to that topic and then resummarise my notes again , this is the last time so its rlly brief just a few words that jog my memory or sentences if i rlly struggled to learn that bit

im not too sure if this stuff'll work fo you - chances are it probably won't because im probs have a way different learning style but its probs good just to look at someone elses way, get some perspective

anyways gl :)

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC

Cram like you've never crammed before xD

But seriously, first you need to figure out the best way you can remember something e.g. reading, listening (I haven't figured out how to remember something by touch, taste or smell yet :tongue:).

I'm a visual person, so I make notes a couple of weeks before a test and then read them on the bus/in the car until I believe I've remembered them. This works in a couple of ways... writing up notes lets you summarise your existing notes (or your textbook if you have none) so you see the info again, and reading lets you see the info even more and engraves it into your brain (that's probably repeating what Brontecat said... probably shows how effective it is :p and +1 Brontecat).

If you're a listener, then I'd say write up your notes, but record yourself saying them. Then put the audio file onto your iPod/MP3 or a CD, then play it every spare moment you get (in the car, on the bus etc). Same idea as the visual notes. I haven't tested this, but my science teacher last year was telling me about that method.

If you need more reinforcement, then past papers work a treat. Shows you the type of questions you'll be facing, which helps you figure out what you need to focus on.

Also, mind maps for each topic helps you determine the key points, so you could make one before writing up notes, then writing the notes according to the map. This should assist your recall of the info based on the essential points. So if you know the details for each point, then theoretically, you only need to remember the key points.

Hope that helps a little.

caffeinated4

straws; I clutch at them
HSC
Some form of study timetable would be helpful.

I get marks like yours but I'm aiming for 98 ATAR (even though I've got two years until HSC).

Don't leave anything until last minute. And also do all the homework EARLY and yeah. For notes: make notes early. After you come home from school or at the end of the week revise what you've done. If you don't understand something then ask your teacher or a tutor if your teacher is terrible.

From what I've heard. To get a ATAR over 95 or 96 is that you must get mostly Band 6s (90% to 100%) in all your subject but two Band 5s (80% to 90%) is fine. Band 4s (70% to 80%) will ruin you.

Good luck. You have hope, since you haven't started year 12 yet.

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
Hey,

Same situation. We'll just have to concentrate in Year 12 =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)