Studying Preliminary content during the HSC year (1 Viewer)

Celpar

HSC
Year 12 begins in a few days and I've been unsure about this for a while (this question is mainly directed at 2015 HSC students or past HSC students).
Is it advisable to study and revise preliminary work during the HSC year?

I'm aware that questions from Year 11 can appear in Mathematics, however there seems to be a lack of year 11 content in other subjects (i.e Modern History).
As of the moment I have syllabus notes for each of my prelim subjects (except maths and English of course), so should I continue to memorise these notes and do practice questions next year or is it best to forget about my year 11 notes?

I know that some areas of prelim content are repeated in greater detail during the year 12 course (Bio and religion) though I'm still a little unsure.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
For Biology don't even worry about going over prelim, nothing is repeated in HSC syllabus, if anything, you'll relearn it in Year 12 but I can't really think of prelim information that is needed for HSC and isn't repeated in Year 12 that you have to go over in your in time, so for Biology, don't touch prelim, you'll be wasting your time.

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
I'd suggest maybe a 1 page summary for each subject for preliminary, just the major formulas, concepts etc. No preliminary content is repeated in English. For Biology, the only two preliminary concepts that are prevalent are osmosis and duffision, and surface area to volume ratio's. Dont stress though, you'll revise this as you do HSC course.

If anything, doing past HSC papers should give you an idea as to how much prelim knowledge is required (They would be asking 8 mark questions on prelim content)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
He means he does't have notes for Maths, why would someone have notes for Maths anyway lol.
why wouldn't you like any other HSC subject? like brief notes so you can touch up on things here and there?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
why wouldn't you like any other HSC subject? like brief notes so you can touch up on things here and there?
Or you could just do past papers doing prelim and HSC work at the same time.

Celpar

HSC
each to their own I guess
My mistake, maybe I should have mentioned this. I do have some notes for maths but I generally prefer practising questions from textbooks or doing past papers. I only do general maths so many formulas are simply on the formula sheet. If I continue maths (considering dropping it) I'll probably compile some short notes with formulas/concepts that aren't on the formula sheet just to help me remember.

I was mainly concerned about year 11 content for my other content heavy subjects: SOR II, Modern History, Legal Studies and Biology.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
My mistake, maybe I should have mentioned this. I do have some notes for maths but I generally prefer practising questions from textbooks or doing past papers. I only do general maths so many formulas are simply on the formula sheet. If I continue maths (considering dropping it) I'll probably compile some short notes with formulas/concepts that aren't on the formula sheet just to help me remember.

I was mainly concerned about year 11 content for my other content heavy subjects: SOR II, Modern History, Legal Studies and Biology.
I did SOR for a little but and absolutely none of it was tested in HSC. There was a part about abo's or something but you learn it again in year 12

mod history and bio not sure

legal studies, prelim content does come up but only in the multiple choice

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Nothing from Modern is examinable in the HSC in most cases but if it is e.g. Ho Chi Minh as a personality overlaps the Preliminary topic of Decolonisation in Indo-China and the HSC topic of Conflict in Indo-China but I would expect your teacher to go back through the relevant part of his life in the HSC course anyway.

For most HSC topics they are simply the background to the HSC course which is why teachers often teach a topic in Year 11 that leads into the Year 12 topic with nothing overlapping.

Even causes of WWI isn't examinable in the HSC topic of WWI.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I really only think you need to bring your Year 11 knowledge from Maths into Year 12.

From my experience, every other subject is pretty much a reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)