Stuttering & University (1 Viewer)

TypeR

HSC
Alright, maybe the first positive thing I should do is reveal myself.

Sorry but I had to make another account and post this up because I was uncomfortable at the beginning and didnt know how this would turn out.

You really made me feel alot more comfortable (and welcomed perhaps).

I am now really looking forward to starting uni, no matter what happens. :)

H@wkeye!

HSC
Oh; If i had of know it was you.... Manchester united - really?

hehe jk

Uni will be awesome, just don't be afraid to talk to people (especially da girls...)

Enjoy!

КГБ

Banned
HSC
i know a guy at uni who stutters and i bag the shit out of him. watch out if you meet me.

LOL.

no srsly, i do know a guy who stuttered but i envy him. he never held back to say anything in groups of people and when he did stutter he never gave up. he would always make sure he finished the sentence no matter how long it took him.

you should be fine, know1 at uni gives a shit. as long as your not a dickhead. your not a dickhead are you?

Last edited:

omgjenchu

HSC
Nobody would be put off by your stuttering - I wouldn't be anyway - so don't worry! Just enjoy meeting new people :)

HSC
I once saw an amazing medical stories segment on this girl that stuttered incredibly bad. I'm not sure if this is true with all people who stutter but speak in unisen with someone completely removed the stuttering. They ended up designing a device that would replay her voice in her ear instantly after she spoke completely removing the stuttering.

Anyway onto the point, people at uni are way more mature that people of your previous high school. Everyone is here because they want to be, and they aren't going to make fun of you for something as insignificant as stuttering. The better question is are you a friendly and forgiving person. If so i can guarantee you, you will be the one with the most friends.

Last edited:

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
I'm sure you'll be fine. University is more refined, there are less knobs around. But just in case you might want to work out over the next month or so, that way if anyone gives you crap you can punch them in the face :p

Muchi

HSC
aww dont feel so bad. everyone has faults they exhibit, no ones perfect they just try to be as close to perfect as possible. personally as a student i wouldnt care if someone stuttered.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Hello All

Well,I am a person who stutters and I will be starting University this year (fresh from high school). I am already shitting my pants and stress is killing me. I dont know anyone at uni and I will be expected (and would love) to make friends with people and im sure ill have to introduce myself to everybody I come across, and this is really hard for a person who stutters.

First impression is everything, and i'm sure I wont be able to leave a very good first impression, not because im an ugly dude or because im stupid and dumb, but due to the fact that I stutter.

Also, generally how understanding are people and lecturers with stuttering? Will I face many difficult situations and be mocked or are university fellas mature and understanding?

Please I need your supports/tips/advices to make things easier for me. I'm all excited about starting uni, but when I imagine what im going to go through..I really get scared!

Be thankful for what you have guys, I'd give an arm and a leg to not stutter. :(
I think you could join the Uni disability service (maybe) and they'll make stuff easier for you

Look into it, it's worth it.

Other than that, you'll be fine.

Joel8945

HSC
Hello All

Well,I am a person who stutters and I will be starting University this year (fresh from high school). I am already shitting my pants and stress is killing me. I dont know anyone at uni and I will be expected (and would love) to make friends with people and im sure ill have to introduce myself to everybody I come across, and this is really hard for a person who stutters.

First impression is everything, and i'm sure I wont be able to leave a very good first impression, not because im an ugly dude or because im stupid and dumb, but due to the fact that I stutter.

Also, generally how understanding are people and lecturers with stuttering? Will I face many difficult situations and be mocked or are university fellas mature and understanding?

Please I need your supports/tips/advices to make things easier for me. I'm all excited about starting uni, but when I imagine what im going to go through..I really get scared!

Be thankful for what you have guys, I'd give an arm and a leg to not stutter. :(
I have aspergers syndrome and during earlier years of high school it caused a fair amount of bullying. I don't get bullied anymore though. I also have OCD so I sometimes just grunt for no reason or I'm constantly touching my face (These things happen more when I'm nervous). They are very embarassing but I think that people won't worry about it. I don't think that lecturer's will mind. I'm starting uni too.

TypeR

HSC
I once saw an amazing medical stories segment on this girl that stuttered incredibly bad. I'm not sure if this is true with all people who stutter but speak in unisen with someone completely removed the stuttering. They ended up designing a device that would replay her voice in her ear instantly after she spoke completely removing the stuttering.

Anyway onto the point, people at uni are way more mature that people of your previous high school. Everyone is here because they want to be, and they aren't going to make fun of you for something as insignificant as stuttering. The better question is are you a friendly and forgiving person. If so i can guarantee you, you will be the one with the most friends.
Yea you're talking about Speech Easy device, that costs few thousand dollars and becomes useless after couple of months.

Thanks for your words and the hardest part is making friends. But im a really friendly and funny guy and I always have something to say and contribute but this really sucks when you stutter. Sometimes I wish I didnt love talking and interacting so much, So i wouldnt feel left out. :( But once people know me well, I guess they wont mind my stutter.

I'm sure you'll be fine. University is more refined, there are less knobs around. But just in case you might want to work out over the next month or so, that way if anyone gives you crap you can punch them in the face :p
Dont worry I already work out so if I see any knob anywhere, their face is gonna end up on my fist :p

I have aspergers syndrome and during earlier years of high school it caused a fair amount of bullying. I don't get bullied anymore though. I also have OCD so I sometimes just grunt for no reason or I'm constantly touching my face (These things happen more when I'm nervous). They are very embarassing but I think that people won't worry about it. I don't think that lecturer's will mind. I'm starting uni too.

Good luck to you mate. Thanks for passing.

But I didnt mention in High School I did have many friends actually, but thats because I was at the school from year 7 to 12 so the problem is the start.

jannny

HSC
I stutter too well sometimes, what sucks is that sometimes people cant understand what I say and I had to say it again. But that's ok with me.

What amazes me is that most people wouldnt notice that ur stuttering unless you tell them that you do.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
I stutter too well sometimes, what sucks is that sometimes people cant understand what I say and I had to say it again. But that's ok with me.

What amazes me is that most people wouldnt notice that ur stuttering unless you tell them that you do.
trust me, we notice. we just don't give a shit.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Thanks a million guys for your support! I really feel alot better now and less nervous. :)

Maybe I should not really care about stuttering and just go out there and do/say whatever I want. Well thats what I always wanna do, but its really hard to be open and not care/stress about stuttering.

Ive been to Speech Therapy and it was completely useless as Speech Therapy only works for few and not all.

Another thing thats frightening me is Presentations! In High School I did do speeches but it was only infront of 15-20 people and it waso nly like 2 minutes long. At University its worth alot of more marks, has to be longer, and I have to do it infront of alot more people I guess. So any tips on that?

But you've been great so far guys, appreciate it!
This will sound weird, but I've heard of people with really bad stutters actually overcoming their stutter by doing some public speaking/drama classes.

Ever thought of doing drama classes on the side?

lou071

HSC
N/A
Hello All

well, everyone who starts uni this year faces same problem with you. don't worry too much and don't stress too much.:) well, one tip i got was that by joining the clubs, you will meet a lot of people.

TypeR

HSC
I dont think drama classes would be right for me though lol.

Anyway I hope people at Uni dont have CIV1501's attitude towards stuttering.

X

xeuyrawp

What everyone else said.

With regards to class presentations, I heard that stutterers do better reading a text verbatim rather than talking from notes. I'm not sure if it works, but definitely worth a try.

It's obviously not ideal to 'read' (rather than present/talk), but it's better than stuttering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)