Subject choices for yr12 (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
thats wat everyone doesn't know,they dont know how scaling works they're like "naah even if u get 0 they'll scale u up to 99 or soemthing"
that is wat some people think with a bit of exagerration lol
But it's not all about scaling either. They should be educated about scaling & moderating as well.

I mean, I have a mate who is really hesitant about 4 unit. He is not an accelerant but he is brilliant in maths. In yr 11 maths & mx1, he beat every accelerant who dropped out of my class and he is actually really good. But he reckons he can get like 95 in maths and 70 in extension 2 (as in raw as he does not know anything about moderation).

If you really get 70 in mx2, that's band 6. That's like 91 or 92 aligned mark and that can scale higher than 95 in mathematics. On top of that, doing mx2 opens up more opportunities for someone like him who wants to do engineering. Apparentl doing 4 unit is awesome for that (even though it depends on the type of engineering). On the other hand, another dumb guy is thinking of not dropping out of mx1 because he can apparently get "fully sick" mark when get scaled.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah they should get educated about it, like many people in the lower maths classes that wont get to do 4unit maths are like "i wish i could do 4unit". but i know that they'll fully fail it as they're not even doing that well in 2unit and stuff...

shaon0

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah they should get educated about it, like many people in the lower maths classes that wont get to do 4unit maths are like "i wish i could do 4unit". but i know that they'll fully fail it as they're not even doing that well in 2unit and stuff...
Is it assumed that 4unit students will get 100% in Mathematics?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
Is it assumed that 4unit students will get 100% in Mathematics?
No way. It's just assumed that they will get Band 6. Trust me, many people who do 4 Unit are still not capable enough to get 100% because in 2 Unit, you may lose tonnes of marks due to silly errors. 2 Unit is basically about not making those silly mistakes.

Take Giles Samuel Gardam for example. He was the top in state for 4 Unit Mathematics last year as an accelerant. But the year before that he came 2nd in the state for Mathematics which is an awesome achievement. It's not like he came first, is it?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
No way. It's just assumed that they will get Band 6. Trust me, many people who do 4 Unit are still not capable enough to get 100% because in 2 Unit, you may lose tonnes of marks due to silly errors. 2 Unit is basically about not making those silly mistakes.

Take Giles Samuel Gardam for example. He was the top in state for 4 Unit Mathematics last year as an accelerant. But the year before that he came 2nd in the state for Mathematics which is an awesome achievement. It's not like he came first, is it?
True - the concepts of 2U should be dead easy for any 4U student to grasp, but just because they can grasp it easily doesn't mean they'll get 100%, it'll just mean that they'll do good it in. As Namu said - the main problem (especially with me) is the silly mistakes I make in 2U - not the actual understanding of the content.

Blonx

HSC
Ancient History
Extension English
Advanced Maths
Society & Culture
Extension History
Biology

Total: 12 Units.

:(

ratcher0071

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Yeah, then you start raging when a 2U student pwns a 4U student. Those stupid silly mistakes :angry:
I also hate those silly mistakes. Last test I got 43/45. :burn:

Hannargh

HSC
Lets see...

Photography
Visual Art
Ancient History
English (standard)
Information, Processes & Technology

That's only 8 units, cause photography doesn't count towards anything. I'm hoping to pick up multimedia at TAFE. If not I'll most probably have to pull outta school, good fun!

Zippora

HSC
stF-vampyre said:
hey guys, so wandering, what subjects is everybody doing for next year? Keeping 12units or dropping down to 10? How many major works, if any?

Also, i need an opinion. i knooowww everyone says it just depends on you, but just looking for some views. Currently doing 12 units, but one coarse is only 1u, so it gets dropped for year 12. so im on 11units. Im picking up Eng ext 2, and wandering wether i should drop drama OR maths.

Drama is just shitttloads of work, even right now, and if i do drama that puts me up to THREE major works for next year [Art, Ext 2, Drama]. and everyone says the maximum number of major works you should do is two, absolute max.

The thing is, drama for me- yes is ridiculous amounts of work, BUT much easier to do well in than maths.
And in the end, i need to do work pretty much a few nights a week for maths, which if i did this for drama id be in the 90's.

So, drop maths or drama?
subjects:
Ancient
Art
Eng adv
Eng ext 1 + 2
Maths/drama?

thanks guys!
where did you wander to?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
im not dropping nor gaining any subjects, keeping as it is with the flow.
alot of ppl are dropping economics, which is good as half of our class were dropkicks, wasting time and pulling everybody down
also at our school if u drop any sciences u get to pick up senior science if u want, proving to be popular at our school

PeaceDrummer

HSC
.. I had to do Society and Culture.. They made me! "7 years of school gone if you make one mistake.." They wouldn't let me go onto the Year 12 course till I picked up one more unit. So I dropped Ext Eng and kept Society and Culture.. Still, the PIP sounds ok, considering I have an idea: American comedy vs. Australian comedy.. Don't know what the focus point is yet...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)