Subject selection 2016? (1 Viewer)

jessesgirl

HSC
Hey guys, I'm in year 10 atm and I'm trying to decide what subjects to do. I get A-B range grades and I do better than most of the people in my extension classes, except for maths. don't know if that info is important. I don't know what I want to do after school but I do want to go to uni and get an atar of 87-95. Any advice/warnings/comments about these subjects and if they're a good choice? In our school we have to do a minimum of 13 units in our prelim year, 15 is absolute max and then we drop the ones we do the most poorly in for the HSC. I chose these because I think I'll do okay, but some advice would be appreciated:)
- adv. English
- extension english
- legal studies
- society and culture
- general maths
- modern history
- studies of religion 1
- business studies
Which is 13 units in total
Thanks

Last edited:

blackbird_14

HSC
Hey guys, I'm in year 10 atm and I'm trying to decide what subjects to do. I get A-B range grades and I do better than most of the people in my extension classes, except for maths. don't know if that info is important. I don't know what I want to do after school but I do want to go to uni and get an atar of 87-95. Any advice/warnings/comments about these subjects and if they're a good choice? In our school we have to do a minimum of 13 units in our prelim year, 15 is absolute max and then we drop the ones we do the most poorly in for the HSC. I chose these because I think I'll do okay, but some advice would be appreciated:)
- adv. English
- legal studies
- society and culture
- general maths
- modern history
- studies of religion 1
- business studies
Which is 13 units in total
Thanks
12 units is the required minimum by BOS, so I don't get why your school is making you do 13. That's strange.
Society and Culture (SAC) has a major project in year 12- so in my school in year 11 they make the students do a mini pip (personal interest project) to prepare them for that. So if you don't like projects, or your time management skills are poor, I'd reconsider this, because you can't make up 100 survey responses the day before and write a 2000 word report on it too.
I can't really give you anymore advice apart from SAC. Advanced English is a step above a Year 10 by quite a margin, so if you're getting B's in English now, the same amount of effort will correspond to a C in advanced.

mayngo

HSC
Do you go to a catholic school?
Also I suggest you to challenge yourself and pick up economics instead of business studies.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
12 units is the required minimum by BOS, so I don't get why your school is making you do 13. That's strange.
Society and Culture (SAC) has a major project in year 12- so in my school in year 11 they make the students do a mini pip (personal interest project) to prepare them for that. So if you don't like projects, or your time management skills are poor, I'd reconsider this, because you can't make up 100 survey responses the day before and write a 2000 word report on it too.
I can't really give you anymore advice apart from SAC. Advanced English is a step above a Year 10 by quite a margin, so if you're getting B's in English now, the same amount of effort will correspond to a C in advanced.
Probably it is due to SOR most likely being compulsory.

imannnk

HSC
Your subjects seem a little content heavy but if you're fine with content and essay writing then you'll be fine. Just be very organised and see how you go this year.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
lol S&C.

Even if you're a student who enjoys content-heavy subjects, you're going to drown in Year 11 from Legal Studies and Business Studies. But I'm sure Year 12 will be manageable for you.

mayngo

HSC
Yea same I go to a catholic school and I picked up on Catholic Studies because u can get it out of the way in year 12 and it doesn't count towards anything ffs. It's funny how it's religion > science and maths

Will I have time for work and sport 3/4 of the week with:
Advanced English
Maths 2u (accelerated)
Maths Extension 1
Jap Continuers
Economics
Business Studies
Catholic Studies

phoebeanne14

HSC
dont pick society and culture, the prelim course is awful and PIP is a huge amount of work. Modern history also has a major work called an IRP which is essentially the same as the SAC PIP. If you have bad time-management don't pick courses with major works like IRP's and PIP's. However, modern history is a really good course, I thoroughly enjoy it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
dont pick society and culture, the prelim course is awful and PIP is a huge amount of work. Modern history also has a major work called an IRP which is essentially the same as the SAC PIP. If you have bad time-management don't pick courses with major works like IRP's and PIP's. However, modern history is a really good course, I thoroughly enjoy it.
Aren't you thinking of Extension history having a IRP? 99% sure Modern History doesn't have an IRP.

sourmilk

HSC
Advanced English: Personally, this subject has been the most manageable and not as content-driven as the rest of your subjects. I found English to be a very difficult transition from junior to senior year, since there's considerably more techniques to learn and remember, however it doesn't prove to be a terrible obstacle if you have a great teacher.

Business Studies: A lot of ROTE learning and a lot of content, if you're gonna study for Business I do recommend studying weeks beforehand since there's a lot of things you have to remember. However the premise of Business is quite easy, you just have to remember a lot of jargon.

Legal Studies: There's a lot of concepts you have to grasp and legislation you have to remember, honestly if you want to do well in legal you have to at least genuinely like it. It's not as content heavy as business, and it's manageable if you have great time-management skills. I managed to juggle business and legal well, also remember that both of these subjects require long responses. Personally the first half of the term was boring until we started learning through case-studies, lots of different jargon you have to remember as well.

Extension: Great subject especially if you love English, you have more of a deeper understanding and it really benefits you in Advanced as-well. Some of the assignments are quite time-consuming though.

General Maths: General maths consists of 90% word-based questions, which is really hard to grasp if you've been so used to more numerical based questions. Some sentence structures trip you up and this is basically why some people who dropped from 2U find General maths is somewhat hard?? Either than that, the concepts are pretty easy to pick-up. Honestly this subject is the only subject that I don't really worry about, since it's not as intense as the other subjects.

If there's anything you wanna know, just message me! I'm taking a lot of subjects you are planning to take and I am willing to help you further more, also I apologise if I sounded vague.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I WAS AN ENGRISH MAESTRO IN YEAR 7 - 10. THEN I PICKED ENGLISH EXTENSION. Zzzzzzz

Can't wait to drop.

sourmilk

HSC
i was an engrish maestro in year 7 - 10. Then i picked english extension. Zzzzzzz

can't wait to drop.
this is literally me right now. I want to drop ext so bad and I also recently found out that we do 5 texts zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)