Suggestions for high-protein diet? (1 Viewer)

technicolour

HSC
So I'm quite overweight, and it's something I'm obviously trying to change. I've been given advice that I need to follow a high-protein, low-carb diet. Cutting down the carbs fine and I understand that meats are good, but a piece of meat, fish or chicken at night isn't getting my protein levels up where they should be. Does anyone have any suggestions for high protein snacks or lunches?

Anyone else in the same situation?

quik.

HSC
Low carb diets vs your standard healthy eating diet are no different in terms of weight lost over the long term. Has been shown by numerous studies.

As far as protein goes it will keep you fuller for longer etc. Nuts are high protein but also high fat, meat/fish, eggs!

If you are up to it, you could get some protein powder and check out soem bodybuilding/lifting websites for recipes. Protein pancakes are pretty yum, maybe not the best thing for weight loss though :)

My advice would be to cook enough meat for ~3 days in advance. It is easy to pick the shit food option because it is more convenient / you have to be somewhere. If the meat is already cooked you cut down prep time dramatically, even more so if you make entire meals ahead of time

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Don't go low-carb, really the best thing to do is just eat healthy rather than going on a diet. You need carbs and imo cutting things out fo too long isn't sustainable. Healthy eating trumps a 'diet'!

You need a healthy eating plan, low-gi carbs keep you fuller for longer. Carbs are not the enemy just switch to wholegrain bread, sweet potato, oats, basmati/dongara rice

Try looking up the low-gi diet (it isn't really a diet but a healthy eating plan), it works wonders for weightloss and general health for those not trying to lose weight.

Also up the exercise, healthy eating will stop you gaining weight but if you are overweight the exercise will help get rid of it. You need a good balance.

Best of luck :) and make sure you eat enough kjs as well as if you eat too little you can actually cause your body to gain weight as it goes into starvation mode. Best way is to look up what a person of your age, weight, gender and activity level should be eating in kj if you are trying to lose weight - google is your friend

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
eat fruits, vegetables, salad sandwiches, do at least 30 mins of exercise everyday (walk, run, whatever), do some weights (it helps with losing fat, tho dont go too heavy or you'll gain muscle, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it'll make u look bigger, so better to lose the fat first).

if you feel hungry during the day, eat an apple, its good for you plus it has fibre, meaning it'll satisfy your hunger and make u feel full.

kr73114

HSC
MUSHASHI
a very high protein low carb shake (slightly more expensive)

HalcyonSky

HSC
eat fruits, vegetables, salad sandwiches, do at least 30 mins of exercise everyday (walk, run, whatever), do some weights (it helps with losing fat, tho dont go too heavy or you'll gain muscle, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it'll make u look bigger, so better to lose the fat first).

if you feel hungry during the day, eat an apple, its good for you plus it has fibre, meaning it'll satisfy your hunger and make u feel full.
huh? the main reason doing weights helps you lose weight is because the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn while you sit on the lounge watching tv, so gaining more muscle should be what he wants to do

seen weights are a high intensity exercise, your body will use carbs and glucose as fuel rather than burning actual fat, so doing weights solely for the physical exertion is more a preventative measure rather than an actual weight loss mechanism

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yea but her main focus should be to lose fat, not gain muscle.
you cant do both of them at the same time, the amount of food needed to help rebuild and enlargen muscles would result in some fat being built up.
Main focus needs to be on losing fat, hence 'some' weights, not full on deadlifts etc.

edit: olol i thought OP was a guy, my bad :eek:, being a gurl she wouldnt be able to build large muscles like guys can, so weights is a good idea AS WELL AS heaps of cardio AND a healthy diet.

Tim035

HSC
A shit load of cardio & carnitine was how my mate went from 106kg - 84kg in 6 months + Just being super strict, don't break the diet for ANY reason. No special occasion chocolate bars, no fast food, no snacking, 3 pre-planned meals a day and nothing else.

Oliver04

HSC
Agreed with Quik. High protein diets work because protein is more filling (it takes longer for your body to break down).

If my friends want to lose weight this is usually the way I suggest they do it:

Weeks 1-2: Cut all high sugar foods (eg chocolate, confectionery, health food bars and fruit juice - this is usually enough to trigger weight loss on its own)
Weeks 3-4: Junk foods (pizza, mcdonalds, kfc, anything deepfried etc)
Week 5+: refining choices (lose the 'healthy' cereal and eat oats, white bread to multigrain, drink water etc).

An increased fat intake and multi vitamin supplementation is essential as it will stop you looking and feeling like shit whilst you diet. Best way to do this is by eating a handful of almonds/other nuts a day (remember 1-2 handfuls is enough, these are high in calories) and the 'shovel technique' with multi vitamins (grabbing a small handful and eating them all at once).

Rippetoe's starting strength program and HIIT cardio are the best exercises for weightloss, I'll just put that out there.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Agreed with Quik. High protein diets work because protein is more filling (it takes longer for your body to break down).

Weeks 1-2: Cut all high sugar foods (eg chocolate, confectionery, health food bars and fruit juice - this is usually enough to trigger weight loss on its own)
Week 5+: refining choices (lose the 'healthy' cereal and eat oats, white bread to multigrain, drink water etc).

An increased fat intake and multi vitamin supplementation is essential as it will stop you looking and feeling like shit whilst you diet. Best way to do this is by eating a handful of almonds/other nuts a day (remember 1-2 handfuls is enough, these are high in calories) and the 'shovel technique' with multi vitamins (grabbing a small handful and eating them all at once).

Rippetoe's starting strength program and HIIT cardio are the best exercises for weightloss, I'll just put that out there.
WOAH WOAH WOAH. No. There is no evidence that overdosing on multivitamins is a good thing for weightloss, and there is plenty of evidence that overdosing on vitamins either has no effect or is bad. You should be getting all of your vitamins in your diet.

A healthy eating plan + exercise, as others have said, is best. Try something like this:

- small bowl of muesli (NOT toasted) with half a chopped banana for breakfast
- salad (with no dressing or olive oil + vinegar dressing) or veggies with a can of tuna or salmon for lunch
- piece of meat (white or red or fish) with salad for dinner
- piece of fruit for dessert
- nuts or chopped up raw veggies for snack during the day

This may sound like a lot - and it is, but the good stuff, not the bad stuff. Keeping up intake makes sure your metabolism doesn't crash.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
WOAH WOAH WOAH. No. There is no evidence that overdosing on multivitamins is a good thing for weightloss, and there is plenty of evidence that overdosing on vitamins either has no effect or is bad. You should be getting all of your vitamins in your diet.

A healthy eating plan + exercise, as others have said, is best. Try something like this:

- small bowl of muesli (NOT toasted) with half a chopped banana for breakfast
- salad (with no dressing or olive oil + vinegar dressing) or veggies with a can of tuna or salmon for lunch
- piece of meat (white or red or fish) with salad for dinner
- piece of fruit for dessert
- nuts or chopped up raw veggies for snack during the day

This may sound like a lot - and it is, but the good stuff, not the bad stuff. Keeping up intake makes sure your metabolism doesn't crash.
This is a much better idea. Your body absorbs vitamins better from food! I'd throw in a few low gi carbs too.

As for this 'cut out all junk food' comment that is above. I don't always agree, yes you should limit junk food as much as possible, denying yourself completely usually ends in binging on it. Eat junk food in moderation, have the occasional chocolate (just have a small one) or have the chips OR the burger... This is much more sustainable

Tim035

HSC
This is a much better idea. Your body absorbs vitamins better from food! I'd throw in a few low gi carbs too.

As for this 'cut out all junk food' comment that is above. I don't always agree, yes you should limit junk food as much as possible, denying yourself completely usually ends in binging on it. Eat junk food in moderation, have the occasional chocolate (just have a small one) or have the chips OR the burger... This is much more sustainable
Yeah... I guess if you are weak and have poor self control you should give yourself the occasional treat, I'm just really proud of my mate as he went from fat to buff in 6 months and not once broke his diet for any reason.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah... I guess if you are weak and have poor self control you should give yourself the occasional treat, I'm just really proud of my mate as he went from fat to buff in 6 months and not once broke his diet for any reason.
Your mate is really impressive, I think its great, all I am saying is that a lot of people don't have that self control and in the long run it wont hurt to learn to eat junk in moderation, its a good general life skill

quik.

HSC
I agree from a performance point of view, food = fuel, but from a general lifestyle point of view people should be able to enjoy themselves (moderation!)

Oliver04

HSC
I agree with everything minus this point. I never said it was good for weightloss, but I don't need to source scientific studies to tell you that people who diet usually look like shit, and thats due to a lack of nutrients.

You piss out excess micronutirents and instances of young, healthy people being poisoned by excessive vitamin intakes is incredibly rare.

justblaze

HSC

What he said ^ :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I trend to be naturally relatively strict with my diet so I find it easy to be very strict for months on end...

My recommendation:
- Drink nothing but water and green tea
- Eat no refined carbs (eg chocolate/candy)
- Eat nothing deep fried
- Watch the carb and fat intake because it is the easiest to overindulge in
- Oats for breakfast
- Fresh fruit/nuts whenever you want a snack
- Salad or steamed veg with lunch and dinner
- Tuna for lunch
- Steak/chicken/fish for dinner

My normal diet is:
- water, lots of it. 3+ litres
- bircher muesli + natural yoguart, green tea
- protein shake
- banana, handful of almonds, green tea
- tuna + salad, green tea
- banana, handful of almonds, green tea
- steak + steamed veg
- 125g cottage cheese

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)