Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
1. Presentation by HR & various partners (1hr)
2. Morning tea
3. Interview with manager (45mins)
4. Written assessment (30mins)
5. Interview with partner (45mins)
6. Lunch

3-5 are kind of like a round robin so some people go and do interviews while others are doing their written assessment. The interviews were really casual and relaxed. You basically have a chat for 20mins or so and then they ask you the behavioural questions & take some notes (all the while apologising for the formalities) and then give you a chance to ask questions.

04er

HSC
Are you going to the AC this friday? What division are you applying for?
Nah i'm going next week, I applied to Corporate Finance. Good luck with your AC!

1. Presentation by HR & various partners (1hr)
2. Morning tea
3. Interview with manager (45mins)
4. Written assessment (30mins)
5. Interview with partner (45mins)
6. Lunch

3-5 are kind of like a round robin so some people go and do interviews while others are doing their written assessment. The interviews were really casual and relaxed. You basically have a chat for 20mins or so and then they ask you the behavioural questions & take some notes (all the while apologising for the formalities) and then give you a chance to ask questions.
Wow thank you for the info! Do they ask you technical questions during the interview? (e.g. what is the standard deviation formula...?)

Btw, anyone know how long their summer program is? I can't seem to find it on the website...

Last edited:

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
Nah i'm going next week, I applied to Corporate Finance. Good luck with your AC!
Thx. Which part of CorpFin? M&A, debt advisory, infrastructure or valuation.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
No, nothing like that. They ask some behavioural questions about teamwork, communication, analytical skills etc.

The partner did ask me to elaborate on why I like tax & asked me to identify some of my strengths that lend themselves to being successful in tax. I think the main thing is to always put the focus back on the skills needed for the job.

But having said that I chatted to the partner for about half an hour about the ashes and the behavioural questions were almost like an afterthought.

Tax goes from 30th Nov - 23rd Dec (break from 24/12 - 10/1) and 11/1 - 5/2. Pay is $26/hr inclusive of super.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I haven't heard from:
*DibbsBarker
*Thomson Playford Cutlers
*TressCox Lawyers
*Jones Day - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*NSW Attorney Generals Department - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*Holding Redlich
*Johnson Winter & Slattery
*Slater and Gordon
*Harmers
*Mills Oakley

04er

HSC
Thx. Which part of CorpFin? M&A, debt advisory, infrastructure or valuation.
Sorry, I just found out I got AC for tax, not corporate finance...

No, nothing like that. They ask some behavioural questions about teamwork, communication, analytical skills etc.

The partner did ask me to elaborate on why I like tax & asked me to identify some of my strengths that lend themselves to being successful in tax. I think the main thing is to always put the focus back on the skills needed for the job.

But having said that I chatted to the partner for about half an hour about the ashes and the behavioural questions were almost like an afterthought.

Tax goes from 30th Nov - 23rd Dec (break from 24/12 - 10/1) and 11/1 - 5/2. Pay is $26/hr inclusive of super.
Thank you so much, that info proved to be really useful, especially since I'm interviewing for the same division! I wonder what the success rate at the AC is...

Last edited:

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
Hey good luck on your interview.
And mel, good luck on your Gadens interview tmr.

tofu

HSC
thnx good luck to everyone who has interviews
Wanted to wish you good luck as well Mel. I've lurked on this forum for quite a number of years, and I have always been impressed by your dedication and enthusiasm to practice law - I think you really deserve to do well!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Mel u haven't included the accounting firms in those that u havent heard of
did u end up applying?
I didn't apply to EY but kinda regretting it now coz i know a few ppl who got offers straight away! good for them. congrats blackacre btw.
I received my rejection phone call from Deloittes today after the interview yesterday :(
Got my minters info session after a 9-5 day at uni tomorrow so tomorrows gonna be a long day!
Good luck again for ur Gadens interview mel! haha i've wished u heaps now. Go and kill it! :D

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
it sucks how you're not getting more bites at the cherry mel. who knows what recruiters are looking for eh? i only got a pass wam and more than my share of fails and still managed to wiggle through to a few interviews, but my mate who's got straight Ds managed to get none. it's weird.

i've been trolling this forum for a while and you're far more dedicated than most ppl i know. but i'm sure your dedication will show in the interview tmr.

Last edited:

Tabris

HSC
We expect a Gadens business card with your name on it Mel!!

And in another 5 years it should say "Senior Associate" under it :)

that goes for everyone here for their top preference firms :p

tofu

HSC
Have heard that JWS and Holding Redlich have been phoning today.

tanubi

HSC
Good luck for Gadens!

JSW called me today, offering an interview. I think all their interviews are on the 7th September...my birthday :S

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Yes, I been stalking this thread for a while too..
and I think Mel definitely deserve that Gaden card. =)

Goodluck!!

(I am sort of in the race too.. but for HK clerkships.. not sure if anyone here is participating in that.. goodluck!)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
(I am sort of in the race too.. but for HK clerkships.. not sure if anyone here is participating in that.. goodluck!)
Hows that going?

Gaden's was ok, not a long interview as they said they ask a lot more stuff in second round. Might have stuffed up a few questions but otherwise I think it was ok.

They are a bit random though, after they took a photo of me, they gave me a random question which I had to type an answer to, while I was waiting for the interview, the question was "Describe your favourite dish in mouth watering detail" random!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)