Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A week from tomorrow offers will be made.
After all the posts and threads I am confused where everyone is at. Who is still in the game and who are you still in the running with? Also who had accepted offers?

In the running:
*Slater and Gordon (I think)
*Lander and Rogers

Out of the running:
*Gadens (Knocked out after 1st round interview!)

Best of luck all!

hYperTrOphY

HSC
A week from tomorrow offers will be made.
After all the posts and threads I am confused where everyone is at. Who is still in the game and who are you still in the running with? Also who had accepted offers?

In the running:
*Slater and Gordon (I think)
*Lander and Rogers

Out of the running:
*Gadens (Knocked out after 1st round interview!)

Best of luck all!
Good luck!

Still in the running:
*Freehills
*Allens
*Clayton Utz
*Corrs
*G+T
*AG-Dept (I think)

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Corrs, Claytons, Allens, Mallesons and Minters for me. Also BCG (grad).

tanubi

HSC
I'm waiting to hear from Clutz, Blakes and Minters...nervous!!

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Assuming you get offers from all firms, have you made a decision as to which you will accept?
I'd take bcg for grad and mallesons for summer I think. If not mallesons, maybe Allens?

What are your thoughts?

jake1987

HSC
I'd say Mallesons would be the way to go. They are no. 1 =)

Best of luck to everyone.

subdued123

HSC
I'd say Mallesons would be the way to go. They are no. 1 =)
Not necessarily. In terms of revenue and size, they are number 1. But revenue doesn't make you happy at night.

Freehills and Allens also have great prestige. Blakes is, by all accounts, a thoroughly decent place to work. And Mallesons doesn't have the greatest reputation for friendliness. Picking a law firm because it tops a revenue table is like picking a car that is the most expensive, or has the largest sales.

Wal-mart is the largest retailer in the world; doesn't mean it's the best. I know these are chalk and cheese examples, but I am sick of people equating size with quality.

When you're working 14hr days and feeling suicidal, the revenue per partner or size of the firm will mean very little.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Not necessarily. In terms of revenue and size, they are number 1. But revenue doesn't make you happy at night.

Freehills and Allens also have great prestige. Blakes is, by all accounts, a thoroughly decent place to work. And Mallesons doesn't have the greatest reputation for friendliness. Picking a law firm because it tops a revenue table is like picking a car that is the most expensive, or has the largest sales.

Wal-mart is the largest retailer in the world; doesn't mean it's the best. I know these are chalk and cheese examples, but I am sick of people equating size with quality.

When you're working 14hr days and feeling suicidal, the revenue per partner or size of the firm will mean very little.
14 hour days is only 8am to 10pm. That's fine. Cab home, that's eight hours sleep. What else do you need?

jake1987

HSC

I wasn't equating size with quality. I only meant no. 1 in terms of ranking, practice groups, deals, clients etc. (ie. things that are actually 'rankable'). In that respect, it's pretty clear they are the top of the bunch.

As for working environment, that is a matter of personal choice. Each firm has their own reputations amongst law students - good and bad. Some people love Mallesons, some hate them. I know people who have chosen to work at Blakes over Mallesons. Then again, I know many people who will look at the revenue tables and aim to to work at the firm who tops the chart (not that I think that's a good thing).

Flamearrows, it sounds like you'd fit working in the M&A environment.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
I wasn't equating size with quality. I only meant no. 1 in terms of ranking, practice groups, deals, clients etc. (ie. things that are actually 'rankable'). In that respect, it's pretty clear they are the top of the bunch.

As for working environment, that is a matter of personal choice. Each firm has their own reputations amongst law students - good and bad. Some people love Mallesons, some hate them. I know people who have chosen to work at Blakes over Mallesons. Then again, I know many people who will look at the revenue tables and aim to to work at the firm who tops the chart (not that I think that's a good thing).

Flamearrows, it sounds like you'd fit working in the M&A environment.
No, there's a signficant difference between working fourteen hours a day (which I would consider quite a good quality of life) and eighteen hours a day plus weekends. Having worked at Macquarie in IB, the latter is quite common whereas all I've heard about law firms pegs them at the 60-70 range under normal circumstances.

I guess I adopt the attitude that I have spent too much time working hard through school and uni to throw it away now.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
your sunk costs are getting the better of you.
It was more of a justification for my work ethic than the basis for a rational decision.

Though I do eat more at buffet restaurants.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I'd take bcg for grad and mallesons for summer I think. If not mallesons, maybe Allens?

What are your thoughts?
Mallesons and Allens are the obvious choices. I have a friend who is trying to decide between those two firms also.

What did you think of Corrs? I was quite impressed by them; seems like an enjoyable place to work.

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I was wondering about the hours you'll be expected to put in. Did any of the firms give you guys a clear idea of what a normal working week is expected to be?

I'm going to be applying for these clerkships next year, but have other commitments and can't work any more than a 50 hour week, so am wondering if I'm wasting my time....

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
I was wondering about the hours you'll be expected to put in. Did any of the firms give you guys a clear idea of what a normal working week is expected to be?

I'm going to be applying for these clerkships next year, but have other commitments and can't work any more than a 50 hour week, so am wondering if I'm wasting my time....
During the clerkship or during your position as a graduate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)