Summer clerkships (1 Viewer)

Tabris

HSC
There is some hearsay/ unsubstantiated rumors which may or may not help.

I heard that they dont read your application, with all the students and tthe time needed they possibly have a cut-off of a D average WAM.

They dont even read your cover letter, resume whatever u wrote unless your WAM is over 75....

Once over 75 then they start reading, anything under, your application is probably untouched.

But anyway that is an unsubstantiated rumor...... I reall have no idea how it works

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Tabris, I disagree... I know many people with interviews with WAMs under 75%.

Tabris

HSC
like i said unsubstantiated rumors....

really I have no idea how they filter and sort applicants, obviously my wam (close distinction) didnt make the cut or somewhere in my application fell short

Last edited:

M@C D@DDY

HSC
They sent around an update email but apart from that, nothing in the form of interviews or rejections.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Tabris said:
There is some hearsay/ unsubstantiated rumors which may or may not help.

I heard that they dont read your application, with all the students and tthe time needed they possibly have a cut-off of a D average WAM.

They dont even read your cover letter, resume whatever u wrote unless your WAM is over 75....

Once over 75 then they start reading, anything under, your application is probably untouched.

But anyway that is an unsubstantiated rumor...... I reall have no idea how it works

i know for hdy, they read one by one

still..

not sure how they manage to reject so many aand so fast. ;p

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
what kind of people get seasonals without legal work experience?

M@C D@DDY

HSC
It could be me..or this cohort is just outstanding...but it is very hard to even get a Big 6 interview without good marks + legal/very relevant experience. Maybe they have also narrowed down the numbers they interview at some firms. All in all it's not a student's market anymore.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hey guys, how has the first week of interviews been?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
hey guys, how has the first week of interviews been?
Brutal. Seriously, brutal. I'm not too worried though, I have a good job lined up in the holidays and possibly 2009 if I miss out.

= Jennifer =

HSC
i think some are pretty laid back

I was in the lift going to work and there is a mid tier firm in our building. One of the students going up for the interview was telling this other chic in the lift how she could wear smart casual instead of a suit!!

I was a bit shocked, considering I work for a small firm we have to wear a suit all the time.

subdued123

HSC
btw, Jen, any luck? Don't reply if you don't want to. I just hope it all went well.

And any interview stories? Anyone?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
the following are my pointers for clerkships:-
- Most clerkship interviews centre around the experiences you've enumerated in your CV. Therefore, knowing the contents of your CV and cover letter well is a key preparatory step.

- When asked a question, always bring it back to qualities/skills you want to show the employer. Use detailed examples. Remember to structure your answer - describe the experience, mention any issues/challenges that arose, describe what you did to overcome these, show what the result was or what you learnt from the event.

- Treat each interview like it's your last. Demonstrate (controlled) enthusiasm and interest. Think about the (general) reasons that attract you to that firm. Be able to answer why those reasons/attributes are important to you.

- Remember that body language makes up two-thirds of all communication. Consider your posture and facial expression. Exude confidence by sitting up. Avoid too casual and too uptight postures. Don't adopt any defensive/aggressive gestures (eg crossed arms, clenched fists). Hands should be placed gently on the table, or used to make (small) gestures. Notice the body language of the interviewer in response to your answers. Elaborate on the points when their body language shows interest. It's a scientific fact that smiling is a universal sign of goodwill. Smile. It helps break up tension and overcomes your nerves. RELAX.

- Consider your oral expression. Use language appropriate in a work setting. Adopt a conversational tone. Remember, it's a dialogue, not a speech or an interrogation. Remember to PAUSE between sentences and ideas, to give time for the interview to reflect on your answers. Watch your speed... Don't blab. Don't waffle. Answer appropriately. If your answer becomes too long, finish off your answer at the next logical conclusion, then ask the interviewer if he/she wishes for you to elaborate or to provide another example.

- Actively listen. LISTEN TO THE QUESTION ASKED. Pause (say, 1 to 5 seconds) and think before answering.

- Time and appearance. Give yourself plenty of time to get there, get relaxed before the interview. Dress professionally and neatly. Powersuits are good. Heels are good. Hair up is good. Sleep well the night before so you don't have eyebags. Don't go overboard with the makeup. Minimum jewelry is fine.

- An interview is like a first date -- each party is trying to suss the other out. Don't be shy to sell yourself - be persuasive and actively demonstrate why you are a suitable candidate for the job.

- Ask questions. Again, it's a date, a dialogue, not an interrogation. Ask thoughtful questions. If you've noticed that the interviewer has been with the firm for a while, ask him/her why they chose the firm, why they've stayed and whether the firm has met their expectations. Ask about what sort of things they get up to outside work and how they manage to balance these with their work. Ask them to elaborate on what's involved in the graduate program and what development opportunities are there for grads. Of course, don't go overboard with your questions. 3 or 4 questions is fine.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
Hey Frig who do you work for?
a top 10 Australian firm (by size and revenue). not allens (as travelfish mentioned a little while ago). one of the remaining 9. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)