Supplementary Texts - Physical (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

HarryKozy said:
with this supplementary text thingy, can we choose anything? i know it has to be related to journeys but ........
It has to be related to your focus journey, you are suppose to relate it with your prescribed text and stimulus booklet text

rajsc

HSC
PEOPLE PEOPLE....my fellow New South Welshmen....
ok enufff...
lol
I NEED CASTAWAY NOTES
ASAP!

darkdamsel

HSC
"I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For" by U2 sounds like it could be a really interesting text to use, but i've heard that markers often don't like people using songs as texts, because you're supposed to look at the musical techniques as well as the lryical, and language techniques, which a lot of people don't do, like me last year. My teacher pulled me up for it when i used a song as part of my Year 11 related material.

But if you can show a physical journey through it, and the effects/affects of that journey, then it sounds like it could work well. Although i don't think it would be a great text to use as one of your core realted texts. It would be good to use as a reference though.

lollylips3

HSC
:) There is also Groundhog day which as heaps of info on Physical Change as he re-lives everyday until he changes his views etc.! i have heaps of notes if anyone wants any!!

yssy

HSC
I am doing:

"Run for your Life"
Its a documentary by the CBC capturing the story of 4 migrants trying to reach the US from Honduraz. Interesting documentary, and fits in well with physical journeys and their affects on the travellers intelectually and emotionally.

lengjaii

HSC
Shawshank Redemption 1994 ( film ) is also a good related text to do for physical as well as inner journey, ive gotten some notes down, but if anyone is willing to share their thoughts and ideas about the film,

either msg me here or send the file to w4t_is_g0rd0n_h0@hotmail.com

Thanks.

VSAcclaim

HSC
for a song i used 'in the end' by linkin park, mainly because i knew it really well and had the album, but its good as it really emphasises the mental side of the journey, so your not just stuck with "it is about a persons journey through life"...

Genelle88

HSC
hey
does anyone have a simple but good additional material for the following AOS texts relating to the physical journey :
the ivory trail
wind in the willows
journey to the interior
thanks

CUTIE23QU

HSC
heyyy every1...i choose to do the wizard of oz OR star wars episode episode IV can anyone help me how to link the techniques with physical journey plzzzzzzz

Cherry_blossom

HSC
Hey,
I used Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by green day and the film Rabbit Proof Fence

Cutie23qu, just find aspects of those texts that match the syllubus.
e.g. the syllabus outlines that a physical journey entails obstacles (amongst many others!)
now find where an obstacle is presented in your text, e.g. in wizard of Oz the character faces the problem of being alone in a foreign area.
Then...find out what techniques are used to portray this obstacle. ( i havn't seen the film for ages) but perhaps the contrasting use of colour between the scenes of her home (black and white if I remember) and the colour of this new world (colourful) is used to portray there differnces. thus, the contrast of colour between these two scenes establishes the idea that they are very different and thus presents itself as an obstacle.

Im sorry if thats not a very good example...but i hope you get what i mean.

Last edited:

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering, If i was to choose to use a visual text as my supplementary, would it have to be well known? (like a famous painting or something)

Cherry_blossom

HSC
you should probably check with your teacher. When i did the HSC i used some obscure poem that i had never read before. So what I did was referance it really well.

Like if the image is from a magazine, then say what issue and what page, and maybe who drew it.

I got told that they can double check to see that your not making a text up..but they said a lot of things to scare you.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
@moo_moo: No you do not need to use one that is well-known. However, it is good practice to bring the text/copy of the image to your teacher, and ask him/her to check whether it's a good related text. Though, most likely your teacher will probably just reply to you saying "If this text can convey something about journeys and it ties in with your journey thesis, go for it!"

@del: Be careful with the use of films, I've seen some students doing Year 12 this year, who've used the entire film and related it to their journeys thesis (this does not work well), only take an extract of a part of the film. A good one I used was um...hm forgot the name, It was something like 5 years in Tibet, it had Brad Pitt in it. Some really nice quotes in there.

Also, I saw someone in here asking whether Star wars was a good related text, and the answer is no. Avoid using such texts, because either alot of people have used it before, or the text itself does not hold any contextual or deep meaning that can effectively convey something about journeys.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
@aspraveen: Teachers don't really recommend students to use Poems as part (or even one) of their related texts. Because more than likely you will be analysing poem(s) in one of your AOS or Modules A,B,C. Although poems may appear to have little to memorise i.e. quote-wise, there isn't much to material there to assist you in relating this text to either your main texts/Journey Thesis.

What text is your teacher currently teaching your class for Journeys (AOS)?

If you're thinking about doing a film, use one that has at least a good amount of discussion, this is particularly useful for integration into your extended response.

March of the Penguins is somewhat an interesting film, here's a study guide link I'll pop up for you:
Code:
http://www.metromagazine.com.au/metro/studyguides/files/MarchofthePenguins.pdf

iBanesto

Miroslav Klose is God
HSC
Skrzynecki is my prescribed text but can I use Rabbit Proof Fence as my "Other Text"?

I'm not sure because R.P.F is also a prescribed text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)