• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Survivor : Pearl Islands (1 Viewer)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
haha i think the reason that Darrah has barely any airtime is that you cant understand her and Mark Burnett doesnt want to go into subtitle mode...

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
indeed it was the best ever, how annoyed was jeff at osten lol

out of all the people who auditioned, they picked a quitter

routemarker

HSC
but did he really quit or was it just a vote without the parchment? who knows morgan might have voted off darrah instead? we will never know therefore i think they should have done the traditional vote. Anyway he must have really pissed off burnett for picking such a cry baby quitter, he got no final words just his lying torch...

CBS.com chat with Shawn Cohen and Osten Taylor

SURVIVOR Host: Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for our weekly SURVIVOR: PEARL ISLANDS chat. We have an exciting surprise this morning, as we will be chatting live with both of last night's Tribal Council victims: Osten Taylor and Shawn Cohen. In an exciting twist on the SURVIVOR game, both were sent packing on last night's episode. You all have a lot of great questions for Osten and Shawn, so let's get begin! Hey guys! Thanks for being here today. Are you ready to take some questions?
Shawn: Yes!
Osten: Yes!

OstenGaveUp: I thought the third tribe was a great twist and it just proves that SURVIVOR players can never be too comfortable. What was going through your mind when you found out that there was going to be a third tribe?
Osten: When I realized there was going to be a third tribe I was kind of unhappy.
Shawn: When I realized there was going to be a third tribe the first thought on my mind was "This is a little crazy," and when I saw them come in my first thought was "What right do they have to be standing in front of me right now?" In my mind, I outplayed and outlasted these individuals.

Portia: Shawn, have you not learned from previous SURVIVORs that anytime someone starts arguing a lot, they're out?
Shawn: I don't think any previous SURVIVORs had someone like Jon on their tribe.

missy: Why didn't you just punch Jon in the mouth once and for all?
Osten: [laughs]
Shawn: [laughs] That's a good question. Looking back, I should have. Send me back and I will.

joni: Do you feel you were both portrayed accurately?
Shawn: I feel that editing is a large part of this show, and whether I'd say I was portrayed accurately or not? I don't think I was edited in the great light that Rupert seemed to be edited in.
Osten: Of course not; it's Hollywood. You know going in you won't be portrayed accurately.

RYAzeNOn: Osten, how does it feel to know your place in SURVIVOR history is as the first quitter ever?
Osten: It feels great!

BurtonsBack: Do you think you two will have an opportunity to come back in the game? Would you?
Shawn: Continue watching. If I was given a chance, I would take it.
Osten: No, I don't think I'll have the opportunity to come back, and I wouldn't take it if I did.

HalloweenGabs: Osten, did you realize then how irritated Jeff was with you, or not until you saw it on tv last night?
Osten: I didn't care how irritated he was with me; it didn't bother me one iota.

allshookup: We know what you think of Jeff, Osten, but Shawn, what do you think of Mr. Probst?
Shawn: I think I'd love to see Mr. Probst play the game himself and see how he fares, because he obviously has a lot of opinion. So, put your money where your mouth is!
Osten: Like I said before, it doesn't matter what he thinks. I'm completely unaffected by his juvenile behavior.

alkova: Hey guys, is there a rule against punching another player? Do you forfeit the game or something like that?
Osten: Yeah, there's a rule.
Shawn: I believe that's the only reason I spared little Jonny.

allshookup: Hey guys, I often wondered where contestants choose to watch the first episode. Where did you guys watch it?
Shawn: I had a huge bash at my family's place in Utah for friends and family.
Osten: I watched it at my family's house in New Hampshire with family and friends.

Newsted126: Did you guys watch any previous SURVIVORs, and did you learn any strategies coming into the game?
Shawn: I watched the first, second and last one before ours: one, two and six.
Osten: I watched one, three, five and six, and did I learn any strategies from any of them? No.
Shawn: I watched those shows, and as far as strategies go, I think the only way to learn about them is to actually play the game.

Newsted126: Was there any hanky panky going on while you guys were there?
Osten: There was no hanky panky on that island, unfortunately, because we all smelled like two buckets of dump. No one had taken showers or brushed their teeth.
Shawn: Was there anyone worthy of hanky panky on my tribe should be the question. Now, Tijuana and Darrah that's another question.

FireyRedTU: Osten, how would you say your relationship with Tijuana is, especially since she stood by you until last night?
Osten: It was fine. It had its ups and downs like any relationship, but that's life, I guess.

imsocute: Shawn, you have a great body, would you like to work with Playgirl?
Osten: Oh, don't tell him that, please! [laughs]
Shawn: Thank you, and as far as Playgirl goes, I don't think I'm going to be doing that anytime soon.

Xavier: Hey guys, if both of you were given an opportunity to vote one person back into each tribe, who will it be and why?
Osten: I think Burton, because he's a very strong swimmer and is physically strong and could go into the ocean deep enough to go spear fishing.
Shawn: I would have to say none of them, in my opinion. They don't deserve to be there.

LovePanama: Do either of you think by bringing back the voted off players it lowers the credibility of SURVIVOR?
Osten: Absolutely. It destroys the credibility as well as the integrity of the game. It goes against the whole premise of the show SURVIVOR to allow them back in. It's a complete abomination.
Shawn: I don't know if credibility is the correct term to use, but I definitely feel as far as twists go, it changes the overall game itself and no longer does the meaning of your flame being extinguished mean the same thing. Your fire represents your life in the game, and that meaning no longer holds water.

RupertFan: Osten, why did you call Jeff a coward?
Osten: The reason why I called Jeff a coward is because a) He is a coward and b) the reason I stated he was a coward is because if you have something to say to someone, you say it to their face not wait until they're gone.

gonnawins7: Do you think Rupert is getting too much airtime, or is he such a colorful character that he deserves it?
Shawn: Yes, I do feel he's getting a little too much air time, and a lot of people have been neglected in the wake of that. As far as if he's that colorful of a character: anyone could be a colorful character if they edit it that way. I never saw him as the colorful person he's coming across as.

canuck: Osten, did you keep the boxer shorts you wore on the show? And did the producers give you the pin to hold them up?
Osten: No, I did not. Those things were basically contaminated with all kinds of diseases. I think we got the pin out of an Immunity Challenge that we won.
Shawn: You won an Immunity Challenge?

allshookup: Hey guys, which was more shocking, the returning members or the way the game started?
Shawn: The returning members.
Osten: My sentiments exactly: the returning members.

QuinntheEskimo: Do you guys at least appreciate the opportunity to play the game? Thousands apply to no avail...
Shawn: 100%. I think I'm more than lucky to have had this opportunity. It's an amazing game and an even more unbelievable experience. I wish everyone else could have the opportunity I had.
Osten: Yeah, definitely I appreciated the opportunity to play the game.

justwhatever: If the situation was reversed and you were voted off earlier, wouldn't you be pretty happy to get a second chance? Shawn: Of course; who wouldn't be? But that still doesn't change the fact that the people who are still in the game deserve to be there, not the people who have already been voted out.

Osten: Absolutely; I'd definitely be happy. I don't place the blame on the people voted out; I place the game on the producer.

meow: Osten, how about you? Would you pose for Playgirl?
Osten: [laughs] No, I would not pose for Playgirl. Gotta have morals in life.

Osten_Is_A_LOSER: Who was a better mascot, Balboa or Pelican Pete? And Osten, how come you were so afraid of Pete?
Osten: I wasn't afraid of Pete. The producers told us that the pelicans were carrying diseases and were sick, and I didn't want to catch anything, so I wanted to behead them!

Chaos28: Osten, why did you not leave Final Words after your torch was snuffed?
Osten: I did leave Final Words but as a way to get back at me they didn't show my Final Words.

Pearl_SURVIVOR: Have you guys reintegrated into normal life yet, or are you laying low until the season ends?
Osten: I reintegrated into life just fine the second I got back to Boston.
Shawn: I've been livin' it up in L.A. ever since I got back.

AmyLynneDavis: What were your final words, Osten?
Osten: That I didn't regret anything, had a good time and said rest in peace to a couple of my friends that died before I left for the show.

bearbite: You guys say you've watched past SURVIVORs. In your opinion, who is the best to have ever played the game?
Shawn: That's a good question. I really don't have a favorite.
Osten: I really don't have a favorite.

sundowner: So Osten, you don't think much of Jeff, did all the SURVIVOR: PEARL ISLANDS group have similar opinions?
Osten: Other people had similar opinions, yeah.

linda: What did you guys do after you left SURVIVOR? I'm assuming you couldn't go home right away.
Shawn: We lived it up and went on a nice little tour of Panama.
Osten: After we left the island we went on a painful and nauseating trip up and down Panama.

Xavier: Why do you think that they still wanna keep Jon in the tribe?
Shawn: I think that the twist had a lot to do with that. The prospect of individuals from my alliance coming back, I think, was the driving force in their decision. Not to mention that they probably saw me as a threat in the event of a merge.

SURVIVORfan: Was anything edited out that you wish had been shown on TV?
Osten: Yeah, on one of the days, July 10th, I wrote "Happy Birthday" to my sister in the sand, and they didn't show it on the show. They didn't show the commaraderie, I think, between the Morgan tribe.
Shawn: They didn't show how I probably didn't sleep more than twenty minutes to an hour a night and spent most of my nights up all night in front of the fire.

nicola: What has playing the game taught you about interpersonal relationships?
Shawn: It actually taught me how to communicate better and how not to let my emotions get in the way.
Osten: Nothing about the game taught me about interpersonal relationships. I already know about that through the industry I am in and work for.

SURVIVORfan: In your opinion, who is the most strategic of the remaining players?
Osten: I would say Andrew.
Shawn: Good question.

Osten_Is_A_LOSER: If there had been a merge, who would you have created alliances with?
Shawn: As far as I'm concerned I was already in the process of creating one with Rupert and integrating myself into his alliance.
Osten: I would have kept the alliance true with the Morgan tribe.

boooo: Osten, do you think Andrew was a good leader for the tribe?
Osten: Without question. Andrew's an exceptional person with great people skills and is just an overall good leader and good person.

ROGNA: Shawn, do you regret talking smack about Burton the night he was voted out?
Shawn: I wouldn't say I regret it, but given the circumstances I was in, I was caught off guard, and that's the way I handled it at the moment.

milli: Was your family embarrassed when you where naked in the first Challenge?
Osten: Absolutely not. There was nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.

Bobcat: After seeing the show on TV, did you see anything for the first time that surprised you?
Shawn: Yeah, I never knew that Rupert had such a dislike for me in the beginning of the show and felt threatened by Burton and myself.
Osten: Yeah, last night at the Challenge when we had to make a pole to grab the keys, we had to use twine, but the Outcast team used twine and their little armbands.
Shawn: Yeah, good point.

Lerg: Do you guys think SUVIVOR will have a large impact on your life in the future? If so, how?
Shawn: I already think it's had a huge impact on my life. It taught me a lot about who I am and what I can do as an individual, and I believe that will play out for the rest of my life.
Osten: SURVIVOR hasn't done anything for me. It was a good experience, but I didn't learn anything about myself.

SURVIVOR Host: I am sorry to say that our hour with Osten and Shawn is up. Guys, thanks so much for being here to chat with us today. Do you have any final comments for the SURVIVOR fans?
Shawn: Thank you all for your support. I hope you enjoyed the show. Until next time...
Osten: Thanks for watching the show.

is a roflcopter
HSC
umm.....the whoel outcast thing is weird........
wouldnt the person who gets to come back just be kicked out again at the next council?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Well, wasn't expecting that twist.

So who do you reckon is going to come back?

routemarker

HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
umm.....the whoel outcast thing is weird........
wouldnt the person who gets to come back just be kicked out again at the next council?
well the outcasts that return are immune in the next tribal council so that they have a chance to assimilate and re-enter the game.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Osten is such a dickhead. Just look at his answer. "what have you learned" Oten "Nothing"

What the...??

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by ~ForAGoodCause~

hmm but how exactly are the outcasts going to be voted back in?
It cant be the outcasts, because everyone will just vote for themselves? and if the tribes vote theyll just pick the weakests?
That's what I thought, if they all want to go back in, they'll all vote for themselves.

Originally posted by Survivor39
Osten is such a dickhead. Just look at his answer. "what have you learned" Oten "Nothing"

What the...??
Grrr, he pissed me off so much, i'm glad he's gone.

routemarker

HSC
Originally posted by ~ForAGoodCause~
yeh that was a pretty good twist =)

hmm but how exactly are the outcasts going to be voted back in?
It cant be the outcasts, because everyone will just vote for themselves? and if the tribes vote theyll just pick the weakests?
the next episode will start with the Outcast tribal council where they will have to write the names of 2 of the outcasts, on seperate pieces of parchment (they CAN'T vote for themselves), that they want to be placed back into the game. I dont think the weakest will get in... the outcasts have a bond and will place their strongest back in to represent them.

Great news! next week we will have 2 episodes back to back so that we catch up to the US (3 day delay instead of 9 days before).

Last edited:

kalli

HSC
The third tribe is FUKD!!! they were voted OUT and shouldnt be let back in.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
No way, they've never done this before, it puts a spin on things.

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Loz#1
No way, they've never done this before, it puts a spin on things.

I reckon it puts agood spin on things, instead of just whittling ppl down the usual way. The ppl from the 3rd tribe will just get voted out as soon as they don't have immunity anyway, which means its just bad luck for shawn and whoever goes next week.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I agree, I mean, the seventh Survivor, they have to start doing things different or the ratings are going to drop and it'll all end.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Haha, it's the opposite for me. I watched the first two, got so sick of it and vowed never to watch it again, but i'm hooked on the Pearl Islands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)