Suspensions. (1 Viewer)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
What's the jurisdiction of a school regarding suspensions? Can you be suspended for something you did outside of school hours?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If I recall correctly, the duty of care extends from when you step out of the school gates until you get home.

Whether or not that actually holds, I'm not too sure.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
If I recall correctly, the duty of care extends from when you step out of the school gates until you get home.

Whether or not that actually holds, I'm not too sure.
Alright, what if you were to do something on school property, but outside of school hours (i.e. on the weekend).

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Wait don't worry, just read through the DET suspension policy.

feelsbadman.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
its also a police matter so the school can press charges as well and the school can deal with it in whatever way they wish and so can the police . double whammy!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
its also a police matter so the school can press charges as well and the school can deal with it in whatever way they wish and so can the police . double whammy!
Yeah, that's what I was questioning basically. It seems rather harsh to be punished by the school AND by the police/courts, but that's what happens according to DET policy.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Yep.

Last year or so, people graffitied our school like writing "HELL" and "DEATH" and all that shit everywhere around the school. On windows, on trees, on the gym, and things like upside down crosses, 666 and stuff were everywhere. The police got involved and it turns out to be year 9's and 10's that did it on a weekend. They got suspended iirc but the police got involved. Shits serious.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, that's what I was questioning basically. It seems rather harsh to be punished by the school AND by the police/courts, but that's what happens according to DET policy.
Harsh?

Harsh for them vandalising school property?

Maybe if they weren't a bunch of dicks and they grew up maybe they'd understand - they deserve what they get.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Large-scale vandalism of school property.
Of course they can. Even if it was a rival school he vandalised he can still be suspended. Your friend is probably lucky he is not being kicked out of the school all-together.

ClassOf2013

HSC
HARSH? If I broke into my school on the weekend and vandalised anything (let alone 'large scale vandalism) chances are i'd get expelled. You're lucky they are only suspending you.

People get suspended for some pretty trivial things though at my school, maybe your school is a little more lax.

pHyRe

HSC
Some guys drew massive penises on the road outside the school the night before muck up day and got caught by the police, detained not arrested apparently. I believe they are suspended, maybe expelled I can't remember because we heard it from a teacher who told us a few other stories involving expulsions so i've got them all mixed up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)