Swine Virus (1 Viewer)

Joel8945

HSC
I'd wanna drop that family that came here.

Durrrr... come back from U.S with sick kids and swine flu virus mania.... don't get them checked out by a doctor... durr.

It's worrying that it is in Victoria now, and a news article I read this morning scared the shits through me (article had doctors quoting possibility of "40% of population recieving virus now that it was spreading in Australia" - annual flu death rate doubling etc.).

Scary shiz.
I feel the same way!!!

Anyone who comes back here from overseas without seeing a doctor should be locked up for conspiracy to murder!!! That family has totally stuffed us up! Damn brick their house, but, wear a HAZMAT suit.

People who work in hospitals are getting this flu! People who work with our food are getting this flu! We are not safe from anything now!

Face masks, please! They may provide some protection (i.e. inhalation) but really what happens when you buy food? go on a train? touch stairway railing? People with the flu only need to cough, sneeze, wipe their nose and touch any of these things and then you will get it whether you like it or not.

Please no more joking about this flu! Its on Australian soil and quite frankly one person dying from it over here is too much!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I feel the same way!!!

Anyone who comes back here from overseas without seeing a doctor should be locked up for conspiracy to murder!!! That family has totally stuffed us up! Damn brick their house, but, wear a HAZMAT suit.

People who work in hospitals are getting this flu! People who work with our food are getting this flu! We are not safe from anything now!

Face masks, please! They may provide some protection (i.e. inhalation) but really what happens when you buy food? go on a train? touch stairway railing? People with the flu only need to cough, sneeze, wipe their nose and touch any of these things and then you will get it whether you like it or not.

Please no more joking about this flu! Its on Australian soil and quite frankly one person dying from it over here is too much!
this is a troll or you are crazy

Joel8945

HSC
1) It's a new virus, which means we don't have an immunity to it.
2) Vaccine has not been synthesised for it yet so we can't stop it
3) It's quite virulent meaning it can spread fast.

However as of yet it's proven not to be very fatal, atleast not as fatal as was initially thought. So that's the only limitation of this virus and that can change with a newer evolutionary strain of the virus.
One question!

Is the rate of which a virus mutates directly proportional to the amount of people who contract it? (I'm being geniune here)

No because seriously that would mean that the strength of the virus would increase as more people contracted it! (i.e. It could turn into a 'superbug' - resistant to any drugs, deadly and ofcourse the perfect weapon (more dangerous than the nuclear bomb)).

I have a theory (yes I know how clichéd that sounds) that really Mexico would be the best place to put the weaker form of it as the medical system is bad over there, huge areas of poverty, oh and its on the equator (yes the tropical parts of the Earth - i.e. bugs thrive on the tropics). But also this virus was known about 1 month before it was put on the media and really how could some virus just become that strong really quickly (it basically took Mexico by storm). Comeon this screams man-made! Nothing good really comes out of man-made stuff.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
that was not a troll!

The people who are the trolls are the people who are making a mockery out of this!
Infectious disease experts are starting to criticise Australia's swine flu containment policy, instead pushing for it to be treated like any other seasonal flu.

The number of cases of the new strain of H1N1 influenza has now passed 200.

Thousands of people are in quarantine and authorities are trying to trace everyone who may have been in contact with the virus.

Nationally, preventative measures are in overdrive.

Professor Peter Collignon from ANU's School of Clinical Medicine says authorities should let the swine flu run its course.

"Initially, we had information from Mexico that suggested this was much more aggressive," he said.

"It was entirely appropriate, but from what I can see from other places - particularly Los Angeles and Canada - they are treating this as normal seasonal influenza now.

"I think there would be a lot of arguments that we might go along the same way."

Battling the outbreak

Privately, there are workers on the frontline battling this local outbreak who feel the same, but they do not want to publicly upset the official, conservative approach to swine flu.

The health system is operating at a level of activity which insiders say will not be sustainable for much longer.

Professor Collignon says the public health system is at its limit of what it can do to contain swine flu.

"We have only really been at this for really over a week, with even small numbers of patients on a national scale - a couple of hundred," he said.

'Contain' to 'sustain'

Eight schools - including seven in Victoria - have been closed. The tracing of possible infected people has begun and anti-viral medication is being used on potentially sick people.

AFL competition leader St Kilda has taken no chances. The team has travelled north for a game, leaving a state trying to fight back the flu.

Queensland Health chief officer Dr Jeannette Young says Victoria is struggling with the swine flu.

Queensland confirmed its 10th case of the virus earlier today; a Gold Coast woman who was a passenger on the Pacific Dawn cruise ship.

The Pacific Dawn is due in Brisbane tomorrow and Sydney on Monday. For all purposes it is being treated like a plague ship.

With the virus moving through the community, Professor Collignon says it may be time to step up Australia's pandemic alert level from contain to sustain.

It is expected Australia's pandemic plan will shift to sustain phase if there is a large escalation in the number of cases.

Most local cases of swine flu are mild, although a handful of people have had a stay in hospital.

Most experts expect it to stay that way but cannot rule out future deaths.

Epidemiologists and computer modellers expect 10 to 30 per cent of the population will catch this flu variant over the coming flu season.

Let swine flu run its course: expert - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
NSW now has the power to force people who have come into contact with a suspected case to stay in isolation if they refuse voluntary quarantine. So if you want to keep your freedom, deny all contact with anyone suspected of having swine flu and keep any flu symptoms you have quiet.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i reckon it'll eventually die down.

isnt that what happened to sars? that was a pretty big thing back in the day..

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
i reckon it'll eventually die down.

isnt that what happened to sars? that was a pretty big thing back in the day..
It was a big deal in Asia where it affected people, it just didn't hit Australia, so we forgot it pretty quickly.

This shit just got real. A year 10 at my school has just become a confirmed case. He was at school on Thursday with it and I passed him in a corridor briefly, haha. Shite. Everyone who was in close contact with him has been quarantined o_0

pman

Banned
HSC
It still won't stop me eating pork! And i can honestly say i might have eaten swine flu for breakfast (I had bacon).

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
The "Swine flu" is really the Prior plague sent by the Ori.

No need to worry, some Jaffa dude is gana come save us.

Joel8945

HSC
It was a big deal in Asia where it affected people, it just didn't hit Australia, so we forgot it pretty quickly.

This shit just got real. A year 10 at my school has just become a confirmed case. He was at school on Thursday with it and I passed him in a corridor briefly, haha. Shite. Everyone who was in close contact with him has been quarantined o_0
Gee I feel sorry for you and I hope you don't get this flu.

I am sorry for maybe seeming crazy, but, seriously I take the train into the city everyday to go to uni and I wake up every morning thinking is today going to be the day that I get it and I thank god every day that I wasn't one of those people who contracted this virus.

I have contracted the normal flu many times before and its not exactly a comfortable experience. But then again when you get the flu you don't really think that you'll die (I have contracted croup before and it is much more terrifying than the flu as you literally can't breathe), people don't really tally how many people get the flu but when some viral infection such as the swine-flu is tallied who really can't be somewhat afraid. Because I know that this whole thing is really scaring me!

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Settle. It really isn't that bad right now, it's very mild. You're only at risk if you are in a vulnerable position (i.e. you're seriously ill with something else and contract swine flu).

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
See that's... disturbing.

I haven't been following the news, is this a dead cert unalterable truth? If so, why does the WHO continue to worry us?
Some points:

1) Death rate seems average for a flu. We can't tell yet how deadly it is because it's not flu season.
2) Infection rate is higher than average.
3) This flu contains lots of novel DNA and is ripe for mutating into something deadly come flu season (Which for us is quite soon), similar to the Spanish flu, which came in 4 waves, the first one very mild.
4) The elderly are resistant to this flu. This is really weird. Normally they are the most susceptible. Perhaps they have resistance from the flus early/mid last century?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

You can't catch flu by walking past somebody unless they cough in your face and even then you probably wouldn't catch it (but you might).

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Gee I feel sorry for you and I hope you don't get this flu.

I am sorry for maybe seeming crazy, but, seriously I take the train into the city everyday to go to uni and I wake up every morning thinking is today going to be the day that I get it and I thank god every day that I wasn't one of those people who contracted this virus.

I have contracted the normal flu many times before and its not exactly a comfortable experience. But then again when you get the flu you don't really think that you'll die (I have contracted croup before and it is much more terrifying than the flu as you literally can't breathe), people don't really tally how many people get the flu but when some viral infection such as the swine-flu is tallied who really can't be somewhat afraid. Because I know that this whole thing is really scaring me!
You've probably got swine flu right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)