Tablet vs laptop for uni (1 Viewer)

Mightymullet

HSC
Hey guys, for studying commerce/actuarial @ unsw, would it be more convenient to buy a laptop or a tablet? To my knowledge, it'll mainly be used for loading lecture notes and barely used in tutes, is that correct? Could anyone share insights on what happens during tutes etc?

Cheers

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Not sure about the commerce/actuarial uses behind it.

Many people make do with pen, paper and printing out lecture slides (what I do), but it really depends on what you do at uni. Also, some uni's give students access to a lot of computers on campus, which may be a factor in whether or not a laptop/tablet is required. This is the main reason why I never bring my laptop to uni.

Do you have any particular use for it outside of uni (for example at home or on the trip to uni or something) ?

Have you considered a surface (hybrid of both laptop and tablet) ?

Maybe consider a few of these as this might affect your decision.

Mightymullet

HSC
I was thinking of replacing my desktop with my laptop but still deciding on that and I don't think i'll use it much on the trips to uni.
I've considered the Asus Transformers, would anyone like to give their thoughts on these?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I was thinking of replacing my desktop with my laptop but still deciding on that and I don't think i'll use it much on the trips to uni.
I've considered the Asus Transformers, would anyone like to give their thoughts on these?
Seremify owns an ASUS TA100 http://community.boredofstudies.org/123/technology/333252/windows-8-1-tablets.html

If you are considering on replacing your desktop with your laptop, consider what types of programs you are using at home and that you will use in the future. Effectively, if you are buying a tablet, it will most likely be nowhere near as powerful as your current desktop. Laptop depends, but you might end up with a big, bulky, more powerful laptop if you go for that option.

pHyRe

HSC
get a chromebook.

doing commerce/science (adv. maths), paper + pen for maths notes/questions, chromebook for everything else in my life except organising my music/videos.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Seremify owns an ASUS TA100 http://community.boredofstudies.org/123/technology/333252/windows-8-1-tablets.html

If you are considering on replacing your desktop with your laptop, consider what types of programs you are using at home and that you will use in the future. Effectively, if you are buying a tablet, it will most likely be nowhere near as powerful as your current desktop. Laptop depends, but you might end up with a big, bulky, more powerful laptop if you go for that option.
Why replace. Just use a cheapo laptop that can last for uni and use dropbox for file sharing.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Why replace. Just use a cheapo laptop that can last for uni and use dropbox for file sharing.
I wouldn't do that personally either. However for some people it can be a viable option and OP is considering it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I wouldn't do that personally either. However for some people it can be a viable option and OP is considering it.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and its amazing. I highly recommend it.

MrTammoth

HSC
What about getting a tablet + bluetooth keyboard, would that also be viable?

Is there any that you guys would recommend?

No money for that :'(
Just get a macbook air or macbook pro.

I have one and it is very efficient. I see all those peasants with surface trash and they have problems touching the screen and the key board is extremely loud.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Just get a macbook air or macbook pro.

I have one and it is very efficient. I see all those peasants with surface trash and they have problems touching the screen and the key board is extremely loud.
if he cant afford a surface I doubt he can afford a mac

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I think I would cry if this was my main device. I would rather connect a tablet with a kickstand perhaps to a decent portable bluetooth keyboard (I use Logitech keys to go) as the Hybrid Asus one is puny and a pain to type on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)