TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELVES! The Worrying rise of a conservative youth! (1 Viewer)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
So the left wing students on welfare who advocate free education and higher youth allowance aren't thinking of themselves? Trying to polarise the reasons people choose to be left or right wing in such terms doesn't help anyone.
I think the "I don't want anyone to pay for the activities of others" mentality is generally stronger than that of "I want to leech off others" when it comes to students. The rise in prominence of such an attitude is neither good or bad per se, but does correspond with the trend I outlined earlier. There is a move away from contribution and towards self-preservation.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Darfur has never gotten front page news, so politicians have rarely commented on it.

Comrade nathan

HSC
withoutaface said:
Those indigenous communities are the way they are for a number of reasons:
1. They live in remote areas by their own choice. You don't move out to the middle of nowhere and just expect jobs to magically appear.

Which Indigenous people made the choice to live in remote Australia? Where did they come from prior to movement?

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
withoutaface said:
Those indigenous communities are the way they are for a number of reasons:
1. They live in remote areas by their own choice. You don't move out to the middle of nowhere and just expect jobs to magically appear.
QUOTE]

Which Indigenous people made the choice to live in remote Australia? Where did they come from prior to movement?
They make that choice every day that they stay there.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
I think you have a very liberal definition of the word "choice". People can only chose to move into a situation if it is economically and socially viable to do so, with regard to circumstances such as family and community.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Some of you really need to read up on the quote function.

Comrade nathan

HSC
withoutaface said:
My first question should have been more clearer. You stated that Indigenous people moved out into these areas by their own free will. I have not ever read about this sort of movement. I was asking the question where have you heard about this?

Last edited:

jtee

HSC
I've got a question for any left wing, howard hating hippies. You keep saying the world is full of poverty, violence and pollution etc. but HOW would you go about changing that if you were in charge? You winge about workers rights under a howard government but wages have risen under his government and unemployment fallen to 30 year lows. You winge about violence and racism but simply saying violence is wrong is not going to change anything. You cry about trees and global warming but the best solution you can come up with is to install a few solar panels and sell more bicylcles. So please explain to all of us what you would do given the chance and how you think that will make the world a better place.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
My first question should have been more clearer. You stated that Indigenous people moved out into these areas by their own free will. I have not ever read about this sort of movement. I was asking the question where have you heard about this?
All aboriginal people, save a very small percentage would have been displaced in some manner since settlement, and later on they chose to move to whichever area they now live in.

And if they can't move out it demonstrates the exact issue with pumping welfare into the communities in the first place.
Some of you really need to read up on the quote function.
I use quickquote 90% of the time, so if the poster I'm quoting fucks up then it's reflected in my post.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think some kids are conservative because times are good, the economy is booming, things are stable. There's very little that truely and obviously impacts day to day life.

I agree that the environment is a mammoth issue, but it's had little tangible impact on our quality of life. I maintain that you cant be passionate about the future - you can be passionate about things that have touched you and which you've lived through. Vietman for instance, kids were having their mates drafted off to die for a stupid cause - that's clearly something to be passionate about. But no one but the best leaders have the imagination to look down the track decades beyond their desired term of office.

So in the current climate, most of the left are seen as shit kickers, and people looking very hard for problems, when they dont really exist on a level that hits the majority. Ive known my fair share of lefties whos real issues are in their childhood and feel the world owes them something - not really serious/passionate people.

This was Latham's problem in 04; a fairly left kinda guy, campaigning for pretty major changes to our way of life. But Howard merely went for the rare issues that really effect day to day stuff (interest rates, now petrol etc)

So it's irresponsible that we're happy with the status quo, but a totally understandable human reaction. So stfu; leaders shape the unknown future

Last edited:

Comrade nathan

HSC
All aboriginal people, save a very small percentage would have been displaced in some manner since settlement, and later on they chose to move to whichever area they now live in.
Yes, people like the Arrente in central Australia I believe have not been displaced. In alot of cases the Indigenous people in rural areas were displaced to more remote areas. I think we are all very aware about that. But I still ask the question which groups have moved into different areas by their own free will? In most cases Aboriginal people left remote areas to move cities, most cases leaving their reserves.

However there is money to be made in remote areas, White people seem to succesfully set up residency and buisness in these areas. Many Aboriginal people have worked and continues to work on cattle stations in remote areas. Leaving a steady job to live in a city where you are not gaurenteed a job or speak the language is a risky choice.

turtleface

HSC
I'm left wing. I'm into environmental protection, human rights, equality, better health and education, better services, better wages for low income earners.

Nevertheless I have to admit, if the radical lefties get into power, then god help us all because this country will go to the dogs.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
If the people who represent my interests get into power this country will go to the dogs.

Gah?

Graham Trevor

HSC
jtee said:
I've got a question for any left wing, howard hating hippies. You keep saying the world is full of poverty, violence and pollution etc. but HOW would you go about changing that if you were in charge? You winge about workers rights under a howard government but wages have risen under his government and unemployment fallen to 30 year lows. You winge about violence and racism but simply saying violence is wrong is not going to change anything. You cry about trees and global warming but the best solution you can come up with is to install a few solar panels and sell more bicylcles. So please explain to all of us what you would do given the chance and how you think that will make the world a better place.
Well, jtee, if you'll just bear with me while I go through my filing cabinet -- Let's see . . . I've got plans for saving the rainforest here . . . Uh, cutting emissions, switching to cleaner energy sources . . . Oh, here's a really good one, eradicating poverty across the world . . .

It's all here, baby, if you just want to swing by and pick it up.

I must say, I really feel sick reading this thread, and seeing this mentality of "it's not a problem if it's not affecting me"

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
Graham Trevor said:
Well, jtee, if you'll just bear with me while I go through my filing cabinet -- Let's see . . . I've got plans for saving the rainforest here . . . Uh, cutting emissions, switching to cleaner energy sources . . . Oh, here's a really good one, eradicating poverty across the world . . .

I must say, I really feel sick reading this thread, and seeing this mentality of "it's not a problem if it's not affecting me"
it makes me sick too....

Anti-Mathmite said:
Do you expect people to lose sleep over refugees being in detention centres or something? Perhaps if we had *family* members in there we would.. But unlike you, we don't.
it is an example of the sort of 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude that has permeated all elements of australian society since 1996....

'we're all cosy'....well maybe you are but there are alot of people that aren't.....and if things are left as thery are (i.e. if practical things aren't done to stop global warming) perhaps in the future you or your children will look back and wonder why you didn't take action when you could.....

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Graham Trevor said:

Fantastic. Please share them with us.

Because really, it doesn't make sense to say you're 'intimidated' to post something on an internet forum. It shouldn't come down to what percentage of regular posters are perceived to be "left" or "right", or "conservative", or "liberal in the american sense" or "liberal in the european sense" or "liberal in the Australian sense [of the word]".

Honestly, post all your "liberal" and "Green" ideas, people will hopefully consider them with reason, and those that don't are best ignored anyway. What are you afraid of?

Graham Trevor

HSC
hazaar said:
if things are left as thery are (i.e. if practical things aren't done to stop global warming) perhaps in the future you or your children will look back and wonder why you didn't take action when you could.....

No, don't you see!? Any attempt to stop global warming is POINTLESS! Our best attempts have yielded little more than small solar panels which are relatively useless, and who wants to ride a bicycle everywhere and look like a fool?

I say, let's just go with it -- after all, who doesn't like it a little cosy? And global warming is really an opportunity for us to reinforce true blue Aussie values to the australian populace and the world! We are after all a country of barbeques and beaches!

I love a sunburnt country!

jtee

HSC
Graham Trevor said:

The key word in my question was HOW.

I never said it is wrong to try and reduce poverty or cut pollution. The problem I have is hippies constantly winge about problems but are unable to come up with realistic solutions to those problems. You say we should eradicate poverty? You don't seriously believe the world can be totally free from poverty do you? We can try and reduce poverty, thats realistic. But how can we do that? I don't know how , but tree huggers think its as simple as throwing a few billion dollars at charities that have done nothing but waste money in the past.
You talk about cutting emissons and switching to cleaner energy, but how are you going to achieve that? The reason the vast majority of the population dont seem to care is that they see through your sensationalistic crap about the world coming to an end some time next year. There is no incentive for people to change energy sources. You need something that can do the job just as well as current sources and for around the same price. People might cry about that but the sooner you accept it the sooner you can make a real difference.
People like me dont have a problem making the world a better place, we have a problem with people that dont truly understand the issues they winge about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)