Teach myself Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

anulik

HSC
But I'm scared...... oh well, at least I do to chem tutoring, so I think I might be fine :)
AS I said before, I claimed tom the principal, and they changed the teacher!!I have an awsome chem teacher now! I feel so lucky :)

So there is no point to be scared...you have the right to do so

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
But I'm scared...... oh well, at least I do to chem tutoring, so I think I might be fine :)
My class wasn't happy with how our physics teacher was teaching so we all went to the science staff to see him, of course our physics teacher opened the door and we almost all legged it.

The head of department had a talk and things have changed, he's only our temporary teacher though.

Personally I would go see the head of department. Save some money :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
no you wont be disadvantaged. Most of the blokes that go well in subjects rely on themselves.
Agreed, except for the bloke part :p

I basically taught myself the entire physics course - my friends and i got in a group and helped each other out if we were stuck etc etc. I ended up doing quite well :)

So no, you won't be disadvanatged, in fact this experience will most likely give you an edge in uni where you have no choice but to rely on yourself ^_^

NB - This was a temporary teacher that we were having in the HSC ==' and he was utter rubbish so we went and complained to the science coordinator, then school principal (we were of course tactful) and the school paid for us to go to physics lectures. So perhaps you guys might be able to get some compensation too :D

Last edited:

Kanane

HSC
N/A
Wow I can totally relate.
My Chemistry teacher pulls in an abundance of useless information which is not even needed and goes off on a tangent talking about his personal life. It also doesn't help that he has a monotonous voice :p
So now I have learnt to rely on myself. Go through the syllabus and do the dot points by yourself with the aid of textbooks.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I was in similar situation to you thread creator. Year 12 math teacher talked slow, sentances jumbled up, took ages to progress through the syllabus. I told him what he was doing wrong as politely as I could, and his teaching went better. You should try this before self-studying because self-studying takes a fair amount of self-discipline.

If you do end up self-studying, at least try to get a sort of regular guidance. Tutors, smart-ex students, people on BoS, your teacher during lunchtime.. They will make sure you're directing your time in the proper direction.

In my math class what I did was basically the above. I got permission from the teacher to study from the textbook during lectures. When I had problems, i'd go ask him during class when he was free, or during lunchtime. Our school had an after-school homework club every tuesday where there was a math teacher you could ask questions- you can bet I used that resource every chance I got. This all definately gave me an edge over the others in the class, I ended up topping that class (but I didn't top the other class!)

HSC
Uni Grad
I was in similar situation to you thread creator. Year 12 math teacher talked slow, sentances jumbled up, took ages to progress through the syllabus. I told him what he was doing wrong as politely as I could, and his teaching went better. You should try this before self-studying because self-studying takes a fair amount of self-discipline.
Even if I did that my chemistry teacher wouldn't know anything to teach us!

jhutti khani

HSC
i am in the same situation except im finding it really hard to teach myself

johNNyboy772

HSC
ive been told many times that teaching yourself is the only way to 99+ no matter how good your teacher / school is

mioumiou

HSC
ive been told many times that teaching yourself is the only way to 99+ no matter how good your teacher / school is
In order to do that, you have to study extra hard without the explanations from the teachers in order to get a band 6. But it's all depends on you no matter you've got the BEST chem teacher..... still has to study by yourself. :)

MzG1zi

HSC
im in the same situation aswell. i have a very bad chem teacher :( who treats us like kindergarten and teaches us incorrect information. one lesson he wrote up that nitrate has a valency of -+4... i have the option of changing classes because there are two other chemistry classes on the same line but i dont really know if that will be a good idea. partially because if im going to change classes i need to talk to the head teacher of science at our school, and unfortunately my chem teacher is the head teacher of science so i don't know what to say. im thinking of the "i cant concentrate in this class" excuse, but the class is always quiet.... :(

HSC
Uni Grad
lol, forgot 'bout this thread! Yar, the whole teaching myself thing is going well, I've just finished the whole Chemical Earth topic. I've done some past papers posted on BoS and I think I've been doing a good job so far :)

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Be up front. No point in shading it. Tell the teacher that he isnt very engaging and that you're not learning anything because of his teaching style.

Thats what i would do. Its unfortunate for me because there is only 1 Chem teacher at my school and he still sucks. He talks in a monotone and is so lame. But i learn alot from him.

cop-rev

HSC
I agree 100% with anulik's response. You shouldn't stay quite about your teacher's ignorance of the subject content. Prepare a well written petition and submit it to your Principal. If this doesn't get you a new teacher, at least will make her pull her socks up. You also can rely on books and may be a tutor to achieve what you want. cheers

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Thank you :)

This makes me feel very good, I've got Jacaranda Chemistry, Chemistry Contexts, revision guides and resources from BoS. I might go to a coaching college or get a tutor if things get too hard.
You could get a tutor to help you out if you think you need one.

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
My teacher is rubbish. Last lesson was her ranting on about how the council wants to build a sewage thing near her house. When someone asked for examples of homogenous and heterogenous mixtures, she had a blank look on her face then proceeded to boot her netbook and Google the answer.

It's been 5 weeks and we've barely touched the syllabus. Me and some other students have lost hope and have begun to teach ourselves from textbooks and the internet. I've done up to Lewis-dot diagrams and it's been pretty easy. I've done review questions in the textbooks and haven't had any trouble.

So my question is: would I be severely disadvantaged if I taught myself Chemistry from textbooks, the internet and YouTube videos (of experiments and stuff)?
same position as you buddy
i learnt the first module by myself and friends
and second topic metals... havn't even touched it
EFFZZzzz
I DONT WANA UCK UP in CHem
otherwise there goes medicine >.<

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lol, forgot 'bout this thread! Yar, the whole teaching myself thing is going well, I've just finished the whole Chemical Earth topic. I've done some past papers posted on BoS and I think I've been doing a good job so far :)
From reading your posts, you appear to be going great :)

JunKim

HSC
Duddes... i hear all of you. And i also have a crappy teacher. He like totally gives us nothing to learn everyday and i just feel sooo bored during class its rediculous. AND this wasnt the case in yr 11 ... I loved chem hence doing it now!

Does Anyone have any well written notes for chem or can point me in a direction to where i can get them cos i cant seem to find quality notes any where. Ive decided to study myself - the textbook is disgustingly uninviting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)