Teacher bias? (1 Viewer)

The Savior

HSC
Hey folks, just wondering if any of you have come across teachers being biased towards their students. A mate of mine does drama has been complaining to me lately about how her drama teacher is being biased, because she put another girl as equal first with her despite receiving lower assessment and exam marks. Apparently, the teacher knows the other girl's parents quite well because her dad is also a teacher, so my mate reckons there is a bit of a conspiracy. The funny thing is that same girl also got 14/15 for her half yearly discovery narrative, despite writing a 200 word monologue that did not resemble a piece of creative writing in any way. She even admitted to me that she did not study at all for the half yearly and just wrote one of her drama monologues. I am not too bothered about it since i dont do drama, but wouldn't this sort of thing mess up the rankings, besides being ethically wrong.

astroman

HSC
Yes happened at my school, student had a parent teacher for two subjects, got band 6's in each with top 3 rankings in each

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
It happens. Teachers will always be bias, whether its the extreme like you've shown us or a minimal liking towards some certain students (which is much more fair).

Sometimes lower marks in assessments =/= lower rankings, especially if her marks aren't too different from your friend's (1 or 2 marks difference in each assessment will still put that girl in a similar ranking, sometimes percentages are just that close) - I wouldn't know, but that's what I'm assuming how low her marks are in comparison to your friends.

And this is what I find internals a bit unfair.

I have a guy in my grade who is #1 in English Advanced and Extension, this is preliminaries though, and guess what? His mum is also an English teacher at our school. So sometimes I'm sure they recognise his BOS number and slip him a couple of marks, that's what we all mostly think.

But you know what.

They might have a great internal mark. She might be great from all this teacher bias. But the external HSC is a whole different thing, she might even fail her externals because she has been fed these marks internally, when she wasn't actually that great.

The Savior

HSC
Yeah but if she does horribly in the external, but she is given first place with a high internal, then that drags the entire class's marks down due to the moderation process.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah but if she does horribly in the external, but she is given first place with a high internal, then that drags the entire class's marks down due to the moderation process.
Pretty sure if there is an extreme negative difference the person gets taken out of the equation of moderation.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
teaching is pretty much business, expect alot of dodgy things

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
That won't save them in the external exams

Besides the guilt will eat away at them, assuming that they give two shits or come to realise what they're doing

He/She will learn that karma is a true bitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)