Teacher marked me too high.. by mistake. (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
same thing happened to me with phys, i told, got to keep the marks. if u got a nice teacher, they'll like ur honesty.
also call me a cynic, teacher may just like u nso slipping extra marks
also the most difference it will make is 0.05 uai points
Depends.

It really depends on the impact that few marks made to your rank.

For example, last year, I made a mistake in 2 Unit maths paper and I should have got 31/33, not 32/33. Then in that same year, I went on to come first in the year just by that 1 mark. Otherwise, I would have been 2nd or equal first.

Subsequently, that means....

I felt really really sorry (still feel so sorry about it) about that to my best mate who got narrowly beaten...so this year, I just had to tell so that I could lose marks and he could gain extra marks.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Well, My english assignment came back today and the first part was out of 10.
my overall mark was 9.5, but when I added the marks up along the side it was infact 8.5
Overall (including part 2), it allowed me to come first.
yeah, its a pretty minute change.
My teacher has mistakingly marked me to high, I only realised after I got home.
My instincts are telling me to tell the teacher, but someting evil inside me is telling me not too.

It is absolutely, completely and utterly unfair on the others in my year

Has this happened to anyone else?
What did you do?
My advice to you. If you're someone who typically winges to the teacher to give you extra marks, after a test, then you should tell her. If you're someone who accepts a low mark, even though you know that the teacher made a mistake and should have given you more, then keep it. You deserve it then.

saywhatagain

HSC
I got 5 extra marks (teacher miscount, even though they use excel? wtf?) in my physics trial HSC. I didn't say anything (well quite a few others knew as well). It did end up boosting my rank by 1 or 2, but in the grand scheme of things it's not really like it's going to have such a huge effect. Pretty sure the lives of the couple of people i went ahead of when i shouldn't have weren't ruined.

But yeah, if it's weighing on your conscience or anything then go for it, it's up to you

spence

HSC
What was the assessment? Seems wierd for an english assessment to have quantitative marks...

runnable

HSC
I wouldn't worry about it, if it bothers you, tell the teacher but in overall terms, I doubt this one mark would put you in some awesome position or worse position.

Venom.

HSC
Dude c'mon. Shit man, I would kill for an extra mark in English. Take it and be happy.

LordPc

HSC
seriously man, take the extra mark. you are going to be unfairly marked down at some point or another and you wont spot it that time, whether it be in maths or another english assignment.

so do what you can now to even things out.

Baggygreen408

HSC
I'd keep it. I always keep my marks unless they're shockingly off. A few marks here or there wont' hurt, and every mark is vital for HSC. Sorry for my lack of morals, but you'll forget about it soon enough it will mean a lot in your HSC.
ironic...

iiinsane02

HSC
Personally, I'd tell. Maybe that's because I believe in karma. In most cases, if your teacher and yourself are on good terms, he/she will reward you with that extra mark. Teachers definitely have a lot of respect for students who display integrity and honestly. Not only that, but you feel so much better for it.

To be the best, you first need to beat the best. Wouldn't you want to be ranked high, and know that all those marks you've earned throughout the year, you did because of hard work?

Really, it's up to you, but make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
Personally I'd keep it. I think it depends on how good you usually perform in assessments. If you suck, take it. If you always come first anyway then you might aswell tell your teacher.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I'd tell the teacher... straight out... better to be honest and get it through effort... The teachers will probably find out one time or another...
Actually, they won't lol.

And really, whether you wanna tell or not is up to you. One thing you gotta realise though, is that a lot of people won't tell, so the 'better to be honest and get it through effort' ideology is nothing but a dream world.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Actually, they won't lol.

And really, whether you wanna tell or not is up to you. One thing you gotta realise though, is that a lot of people won't tell, so the 'better to be honest and get it through effort' ideology is nothing but a dream world.
Qft +1.

Personally, I'd keep it too. HSC - Keep. Past years - Tell.

Takuto

HSC
this dilemma is most easily solved by taking a good look at the classmates under you.

would they do the same for you, if they got marked higher?

point proven.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)