Teachers. (1 Viewer)

Carl5

HSC
I've had the same in English, but not to the same extent.

A story I wrote got 15/15 from the two advanced teachers at our school. I then used it in the trials, and was given the PERFECT quote (it was something like "I felt the cold chill of exile" and my story was about insanity in society and used many metaphors and imagery of weather to symbolise the protagonist's experience in society, outside of a mental asylum). My story got marked by a STANDARD teacher and was given a 12. This doesn't seem like a large gap, but it was still 20% lost...

VegemiteLoverGB

HSC
Yeah, I agree with all of you. English is an absoltue joke at out school. I got 9/15 for creative writing because I 'didn't have a proper thesis statement, and lacked points of arguments' - I mean, is that a gee up? Was he deadset looking at it as an essay? It's a friggin joke. And then my teacher tries to defend the mark; what the fuck is there to defend!? Sorry about the swearing, just get so fired up about these things.

K

khorne

ITT, people need to get over themselves and realise they aren't the greatest writers ever born. Instead of complaining about marks, fucking look over the feedback, talk to the teacher, get some tips and improve instead of crying like little bitches. 99% of teachers at least have a better idea of what they are doing than you.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
ITT, people need to get over themselves and realise they aren't the greatest writers ever born. Instead of complaining about marks, fucking look over the feedback, talk to the teacher, get some tips and improve instead of crying like little bitches. 99% of teachers at least have a better idea of what they are doing than you.
There's a difference between a poorly written piece and an incompetent teacher.

My example and the example above your post are inexcusable and are not - at all - the student(s) fault.

mangoz

HSC
Point is - we really shouldn't have to.
Well English is a joke in the first place. LOL so its a subject that will have the most subjective views.

Edit: I mean the content we study, not english itself lol.

Last edited:

mangoz

HSC
lol my friend used a related text that was a novel and he clearly stated it and the comment was "Need more visual techniques for related text". Pretty sexy comment ? :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Point is - we really shouldn't have to.
And what can we do about it?

Nothing.

So you deal with it. ~60000 people go through the same thing year in, year out.

English has nothing to do with whether you can write well or not. It's about answering the question and structuring it in a particular way which anyone (non retarded) person can do.

anexasaved

HSC
The ATAR/UAI requirement for teachers can rage from the mid 60's to mid 80's. I don't understand how we can expect an english teacher who got an atar ~70, for example, and thus probably got a band 4 in HSC english, to help teach us how to write a close to full marks essay!! This applies to all subjects, but esp those that have a degree of subjectivity involved such as history, where you want to learn how to write something that can win over any marker regardless. =/
Luckily for my school, most of our english, history and math teachers are incredibly intelligent and thus competent!! =D

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, it's weird how when I changed from an under-average school (probably rank 500) to a good school (rank 30), my marks went up. In the crap school, I got things like 12/20 then at my new school I get two 13/20, one 18/20 and a 15/20. I'm happy.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The incompetence of my English teachers was shown the other day. I write up a soliliquy analysis; made two copies. Gave one to one teacher, and gave the other to another. Both of them are English Advanced teachers - one being the coordinator, the other one a former coordinater.
From one teacher, I get an A+, saying I had great detail, analysis etc. etc.
From the other teacher, I get a C -, saying there was a lack of detail and a lack of effort at analysis.
Personally, I find this absolutely ridiculous. I can live with discrepancies in marking, but that gap is absolutely stupid.
Now, this leaves me in two minds with my work; is what I'm doing right or wrong?
I will be so glad to leave this hole.
I'm surprised your school let you do that. Someone would've received a very very very harsh talking to if they did that at our school (trying to make teachers look like idiots on purpose).

In fact, at uni, it's a punishable 'offense' (trying to get two lecturers/tutors to contradict each other). In all my units of study outlines, they ask: "if you are forwarding an email to more than one lecturer/tutor, you must inform all teachers via the 'cc' function of the email AND in the body of the email that you are doing so". It's usually so they can compare notes before getting back to you.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
A long time ago, people who go into teaching are those who are bright and get high ATARS, but now the society has changed. People who get low ATARs end up doing education whereas those who get the high marks don't want to go into teaching.
Not entirely, some people I know with exceptional ATARs are becoming teachers because they have a passion for it.

anne1010

HSC
Not entirely, some people I know with exceptional ATARs are becoming teachers because they have a passion for it.
exactly. through my schooling, ive had 3 teacher with 99 "uais"
theyre not "old" either.
although one of them has now left teaching and studying medicine.
i know a girl who is incredibly smart doing her hsc now. (95+ atar) and wishes to do teaching cause she has a passion for it.
although this is the exception and not the rule, still worth mentioning

khfreakau

HSC
we have an english teacher at our school who got 100 UAI in 2004. i think she already completed an honours course or something.

HSC
Uni Grad
Future spiralflex. XD
LOL true :p

our english department used last years CSSA trials for this years trials... WTF??? and when a parent rang up about it, the deputy and the english head teacher were running around in circles about what to do.. so lulzy

in one of the assessment tasks, it was worth 25% weighting, the creative was worth 10 marks, we did that in 40 min but the short answer was 15 marks and we could only do it in 20 min T_T

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
This. Also, I think the salary for being a teacher should slightly increase in the future because if doesn't happen, there will not be enough teachers. If Australia needs more Engineers and Doctors at the moment, in the future, Australia will probably need teachers more than anything.

HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to the world of English.
You can mark yourself just as well as your teachers, you only need to toss a coin or roll a dice.

VegemiteLoverGB

HSC
I'm surprised your school let you do that. Someone would've received a very very very harsh talking to if they did that at our school (trying to make teachers look like idiots on purpose).

In fact, at uni, it's a punishable 'offense' (trying to get two lecturers/tutors to contradict each other). In all my units of study outlines, they ask: "if you are forwarding an email to more than one lecturer/tutor, you must inform all teachers via the 'cc' function of the email AND in the body of the email that you are doing so". It's usually so they can compare notes before getting back to you.
^LOL. It's not an assessment task, it's just homework. Plus, I wasn't trying to get them to contradict each other; I was just handing out my essays to all of the teachers just to make sure what I was doing was right. Righto champ, I'm sure it's punishable in uni - I'm in High School though, so it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)