teaching or psychology??? (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
if you plan to teach in catholic systemic schools or catholic independent/private schools ACU is always good because if you're lucky you could get a job offer at a very 'prestigious' private school with a bloated salary

Tubby69

HSC
The problem with teaching is that the average age of teachers in the mid-40s and quite a few of the baby-boomer teachers due to retire within the next 4 to 5 years on the great pre-1983 NSW state super.

These guys will need to be replaced and you are the kids who will be able to step in and fill their shoes.

Maths and Science teachers are always in demand because many students who are good at these subjects find themselves drawn towards other careers due to a number of factors, including pay.
I might not make it into maths though, because I need exactly 6 more points. hopefully, it'll be in lower demand, and they'll make the cutoff lower. otherwise, i'll do hsie =]

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I might not make it into maths though, because I need exactly 6 more points. hopefully, it'll be in lower demand, and they'll make the cutoff lower. otherwise, i'll do hsie =]
As a History teacher I say enjoy HSIE - more variety anyway - History, Geography, Commerce, Legal, Business, Society etc are all part of HSIE and even if not teaching them I actually enjoy the discussions in my staff room about the different courses and also some friendly banter with the others about the superiority of History.

philphie

Banned
HSC
As a History teacher I say enjoy HSIE - more variety anyway - History, Geography, Commerce, Legal, Business, Society etc are all part of HSIE and even if not teaching them I actually enjoy the discussions in my staff room about the different courses and also some friendly banter with the others about the superiority of History.
lol what are you doing here Ms. Brame

philphie

Banned
HSC
which would be harder to find employment? maths or humanities (or hsie, social science)?
neither, there is a strong demand for higher level maths teachers and employment for humanity teachers covers a broad range off subjects so occupancy is large

swhale

HSC
I'd apply for a psych/law degree at mac uni. My sister does it and loves it- so psych for sure. A law degree is a good one to have because it opens up all sorts of gate ways for you- you can teach anything after that! plus first year law camp is supposed to be pretty awesome (according to my sister its one of the highlights of the degree). Just somehting to think about :)

istone

HSC
but isn't some psycholgy course around 80 (i think macquarie)?
ANU: B Arts/B Science (Psychology) 80.00

MQU: B Sc-Psychology with B Health 83.85 (V)
300126 B Psychology (Honours) 93.15
300127 B Arts - Psychology 83.25
300129 B Science - Psychology 83.55
300130 B Arts Psychology with Dip Ed 84.10

kfnmpah

HSC
Instead of doing a combined teaching degree, do a 'standard' degree i.e. science then you can always go do a dip ed. I wouldn't think there'd be much demand for someone with a psych degree and a dip ed. what will you teach? Do science (psych) so you have the science background (incase you want to do teaching), but still a degree in psychology (if you want to do psych)

Teaching has higher demand for jobs and psychology is becoming increasingly popular meaning less demand

I'd go teaching! Admittedly I do have some bias as I want to be a highschool science teacher.

Sorry if the first par doesn't make sense, I let my fingers do the walking and cbf re reading

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Instead of doing a combined teaching degree, do a 'standard' degree i.e. science then you can always go do a dip ed. I wouldn't think there'd be much demand for someone with a psych degree and a dip ed. what will you teach? Do science (psych) so you have the science background (incase you want to do teaching), but still a degree in psychology (if you want to do psych)

Teaching has higher demand for jobs and psychology is becoming increasingly popular meaning less demand

I'd go teaching! Admittedly I do have some bias as I want to be a highschool science teacher.

Sorry if the first par doesn't make sense, I let my fingers do the walking and cbf re reading
Psych plus a Dip Ed could lead to school counsellor - using the psych and working with kids.

kfnmpah

HSC
Psych plus a Dip Ed could lead to school counsellor - using the psych and working with kids.
Man, i'd die if i was the school counsellor at my old school.
'i'm 14 and i had sex with my 23 year old boyfriend now my parents are kicking me out. Why are they so mean *cries*' (non fiction story.)

R

Roxtar

Man, i'd die if i was the school counsellor at my old school.
'i'm 14 and i had sex with my 23 year old boyfriend now my parents are kicking me out. Why are they so mean *cries*' (non fiction story.)

Eeewww, gross. You had sex with a paedophile.

Ontopic: The B.Sci( Psych) / Dip. Edu is the most appealing option. You have the option to select Teaching or Psych at the end of 3rd year. Can anyone elaborate further on this. Am I correct? What other benefits might this option have such as mentioned above buy cem to become school counselor as well as teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

kfnmpah

HSC
Eeewww, gross. You had sex with a paedophile.

Ontopic: The B.Sci( Psych) / Dip. Edu is the most appealing option. You have the option to select Teaching or Psych at the end of 3rd year. Can anyone elaborate further on this. Am I correct? What other benefits might this option have such as mentioned above buy cem to become school counselor as well as teacher.
Not me, you dingbat.

dolbinau

HSC
Well the 'word on the street' is that having an undergraduate Psych degree without postgraduate training is not the best for job prospects (you aren't a Psychologist), so I'd consider what you actually want out of each degree (Teaching or Psych) before you choose.

Casablancas

HSC
Macquarie university: Psychology with diploma of education. Previous cutoff= 84.10

http://www.humansciences.mq.edu.au/undergraduate_programs/degrees_by_name/bachelor_of_arts-psychology_with_the_diploma_of_education

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
IMO - if you choose teaching, choose a subject that you will enjoy. No point being a maths/science teacher (even though job prospects are good) if you don't care what 1+1 equals, or don't care that if you mix nitrogen & carbon you'll get a big explosion (not sure if this is true, just an example.. lol).. If you can't stand history, why would you want to be subjected to teaching it day in day out?

Think about which subjects you enjoy, and choose them, rather than worrying about job prospects. Schools always look for teachers for a variety of subjects, and if you have passion for teaching & the subject you are teaching, your chances of being unemployed would be quite low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)