Teenagers get life for schoolgirl murder (1 Viewer)

T

trolloutaface

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=111733

Two 17-year-old girls have been sentenced to life in prison for their "merciless" strangling of a 15-year-old girl, apparently so they could experience murder.

The pair were expressionless when sentenced in Perth Children's Court on Wednesday after previously pleading guilty to murdering Eliza Jane Davis and burying her body under her house in a West Australian coal mining town on June 18 last year.

Court President Denis Reynolds said their remorseless slaying of Eliza was the worst category of the most serious offence in the criminal code and the pair must spend at least 15 years in jail before parole could be considered.

"It was gruesome and merciless in the extreme," Judge Reynolds said.

Prosecutor Simon Stone had previously told the court the three friends had slept in the same house after a party on the Saturday night, Eliza in one bedroom while her then 16-year-old killers slept together in a second room.

Idly chatting the next morning, the two disturbed teenagers discovered neither of them would feel bad about killing someone, so they decided to kill Eliza.

One snuck up behind Eliza, strangling her while the other teenager held their victim down, pressing a chemical-soaked cloth to her mouth.

The girl who twisted the wire around Eliza's throat has since chillingly described to police how she watched with detachment as Eliza's emotions shifted from anger, to fear, to the realisation she was going to die.

After they buried Eliza, they reported her missing and pretended to help search for her before turning themselves in to police after deciding the grave was so shallow that discovery was inevitable.

The girls have since said they regret the devastating impact on Eliza's family and friends but do not feel sad Eliza is dead.

Mr Stone said experts considered the pair potentially dangerous to others in custody if allowed to continue their dark and enmeshed relationship.

"They planned the murder with calmness, consideration, emotional detachment and the desire to have the experience of killing someone," he said.

Judge Reynolds said the girls were equally guilty of the horrific crime.
"That the offence itself took about five to 10 minutes to complete shows that (they) acted together for an appreciable period of time.

"It showed gross disregard for human life and Eliza's face to face pleas for her own life were positively and totally ignored by each and both of (the girls)."

Mr Reynolds said he did not know if the girls' lack of remorse was due to some blocking mechanism or a more sinister defect in personality.

Outside the court, Eliza's grandfather Ron Davis said the family was angry and unhappy with the sentence.

"They will be free to run away in 15 years, and I've lost a granddaughter," Mr Davis said.

"How would you feel?"

"It's a big joke to them (the girls)."
fuck they deserved it.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ahhh teenagers these days.....at least justice was served in this case, rather than those two fob girls that only got 3 years for killing taxi driver
it shouldve been life without parole....they certainly have some mental problems

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
and that boys and girls, is why australia should be spending more on mental illness instead of providing tax cuts so we can get votes. 5 minutes alone with either of those 2 girls and i would have been able to tell they were suffering some serious mental problems[most likely a psychosis]. If i could do it so quickly i am surprised that they were never refered to a professional or that anyone else hadnt picked it up.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
So what exactly are you going to do? Cho Seung-hui was diagnosed as having mental instability and that did not stop him from going through with his intentions. These girls, no matter how unstable they are, would you have really predicted that they would suddenly decide 'hey lets see if we really are indifferent to murder', highly unlikely. If that's the case, I should be visiting a psychiatric facility every so often for monitoring.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Serius said:
and that boys and girls, is why australia should be spending more on mental illness instead of providing tax cuts so we can get votes. 5 minutes alone with either of those 2 girls and i would have been able to tell they were suffering some serious mental problems[most likely a psychosis]. If i could do it so quickly i am surprised that they were never refered to a professional or that anyone else hadnt picked it up.
Alot of people have psychosis or a slight mental irregularity. I've noticed atleast 1/4 people have some form of mental irregularity, but it's hard to determine whether it's positive, negative or neither. It's also even harder to tell whether they would act on any of it. The only way to determine whether they would act on it is if they've had an observable past or a history.

Just out of curiosity how would you have picked it up? I would have noticed by how these two would have spent alot of time together, and probably spent alot of time alone. They were probably "outsiders" yet also in a group (the friendship they had). Which is why they were able to nurture their destructive side and their curiosity of things not of the norm.

It's not so rare that these things happen. (I've developed a strong understanding through the Crime and Investigation channel, and people I've met.) But again, it's hard to determine whether they would have acted on any of it. I remember these two girls were just like that, and I didn't notice it till after I met them. I confronted them, and they were more towards the "shy" side. Anyways, I introduced myself and realised it was as if I was speaking to the same person twice. I later realised that they kept to themselves, and even though they had a third friend. It was as if she was a complete stranger. Only on reflection did I look at this as scary, and tried to understand it further.

Last edited:

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
Highly ironic was the fact that I stated, in the thread where two girls commited suicide together, that at least they didn't kill anyone but themselves in the process.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Armani said:
Highly ironic was the fact that I stated, in the thread where two girls commited suicide together, that at least they didn't kill anyone but themselves in the process.
How is that relevant to this?

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
What can we tell about the girls who killed themselves? What can we tell from the girls who murdered Eliza? Were they expecting it? What was going through the minds of the girls who commited suicide? We apparently know what was going through the minds of these girls but was it expected at all?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Armani said:
What can we tell about the girls who killed themselves? What can we tell from the girls who murdered Eliza? Were they expecting it? What was going through the minds of the girls who commited suicide? We apparently know what was going through the minds of these girls but was it expected at all?
Ahh, okay I thought about it and have come to a conclusion that it's hard to compare the two. They're very seperate, completely different actually. The set of girls who committed suicide are much different than the other two who committed murder. The girls who killed themselves, had repetetively over time depleted their will to live with sad thoughts and possibly developed emotional issues as a result. They were probably drawing on thoughts which made them feel overly emotional, things which they couldn't justify, and had probably never prodded or thought of logically. eg; "Why do I -" or "I hate this world -" or "I don't want -" which would have each time deepened their emotional trauma as triggers they developed over time.

The difference between the girls who commited murder was that they were mentalliy in sync. Whereas with the girls who committed suicide they were completely different. The only thing I would say they had in common in their minds psychologically was that they hated life, and they they no longer had a will to live. And, because of the emotional trauma they developed through these trigger questions, they were in extreme emotional pain. By their own flawed logic, the only way to end this emotional pain was death. (It's very flawed, as ending the negative triggers would have just as easily ended the emotional trauma.)

With the other girls, they had almost became as one and their ideals, thoughts and other things had fused as one. That's probably why they were indifferent to the murders. We know what their thoughts were too. They knew what they were doing, but also didn't know the impact of what they were doing. They will probably feel very withdrawn if they were completely seperated, and this would only add to the complications.

It's alot easier to notice the first people as having a mental irregularity, as they would usually be comparing things to themselves and trying to how everything effects themselves. (It's alot easier to detect it, and also to treat it. Simple exercises like writing out charts could have prevented this.)

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
those girls bloody deserve it, i seriously dont get why they wanted to "experience" the feeling of murdering their own friend. hope they get bashed in jail :p

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
MaNiElla said:
those girls bloody deserve it, i seriously dont get why they wanted to "experience" the feeling of murdering their own friend. hope they get bashed in jail :p
The girl they murdered probably knew her as much as we do. She was more than likely a complete stranger and not really a friend. It probably would have felt very awkward for them to even converse with her. Because they weren't mentally in sync with her, and that's why they felt equally indifferent about murdering her. Also, the underlying mental irregularities that they developed and shared, would have been why they wanted to experience the feeling of murder. They would have felt as though, everything made sense to them. Except death or murder, it's a sick and twisted mind that they shared.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
ha.. stupid little dogs. definitely deserve it

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
so would you rather be raped or murdered?

see here's the thing with girls, they don't have remorse. they know they are wrong but still they have to keep up with their attitude.

sorry for the generalisation.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
w/ 15 non-parole, doesn't mean they'll get out straight away but they should be in prison until they're at least 50.

They have no remorse which makes it even more heinous.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
wuddie said:

see here's the thing with girls, they don't have remorse. they know they are wrong but still they have to keep up with their attitude.

What a stupid question to ask and an even worse post. Would you rather be raped or murdered? (by somebody who physically overpowered you.) Neither is pleasurable nor desirable.

I would argue that men have much less remorse, and this has been proven on many occassions. I've rarely seen women murderers, or rapists. It's almost non-existant in comparison with male murderers. Also, when women murder it's usually after psychological abuse or some other traumatic experience. (Battered wife syndrome?)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Have you ever stolen someone's life savings, or gunned down their extended family? Then you'd know what I mean.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
wuddie said:

Hard to say. I know i would prefer to be aqcuited man for murder rather than an aqcuited man for rape[even though i would be innocent of both crimes, if you have ever been suspected of rape then your life is ruined. Atleast murderers get some sort of sick sense of respect.

I cant understand why they wanted to "experience murder" i honnestly dont get that. Maybe they had never seen death before? its never pretty but maybe they got some sort of rush out of the power of holding someones life in their hands like how they talked about seeing her facial expressions change as they killed her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)