• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tell me about 4Unit (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 回复: Re: Tell me about 4Unit

tommykins said:
Come first in a selective school then talk =]
optimistic people would say get 100% every test

us realists from selective would say easier said then done!

This year with 2u/3u combined for prelim the most number of 100% anyone got was 2! and we had like 10 tests so yeahh its tough mate

micuzzo

HSC
cccclaire said:
I would say about an hour or two a night on just maths. But that would be 3u or 4u, depending on where the homework is.
Well i guess the question then becomes how much should one study in one night for all of his/her subjects. For the people here who are past HSCers and did 4U as well as subjects like chemistry and physics; how much would you study in one night? and what exactly is studying... is it doing your homework (ie stuff you havent finished in class) or spend extra time going over formulas and trying some extra questions...?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
not that im a past HSCer but studying is doing things on top of your hw. Whether it be making notes, past papers and what not.

friction

HSC
lyounamu said:
You probably only beat people who tried less harder than you, so no harm done to them as well.
They both actually work much more then me. But i was stupid not to work i would not advise it. I am looking at a lower HSC mark now because of it. However if i did it again i would do the same thing.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
micuzzo said:
Well i guess the question then becomes how much should one study in one night for all of his/her subjects. For the people here who are past HSCers and did 4U as well as subjects like chemistry and physics; how much would you study in one night? and what exactly is studying... is it doing your homework (ie stuff you havent finished in class) or spend extra time going over formulas and trying some extra questions...?
Im not a past hscer, but I consider studying to include homework as well as making notes, revising etc.

You get to a point in year 12 where teachers dont check if you do your homework, so really it becomes optional. I still do it, but I consider it to be study, rather than 'homework' because they become the same thing in the end.

I think 4unit is a bit overated in terms of how much you do. Effective study is much better that spending ages and getting nowhere. Its like lyounamu said quality > quantity.

proringz

HSC
You don't really have to do 1-2 hours everyday as some people say. It depends on how much you understand the topic and are able to answer related questions. For some people, only 1 hour every 3 days may work, for others, it may require a lot more. My advice is; take Ext 2 Maths, see how you go and if you are finding it alright without having to spend 4 hours every night trying to understand one thing then keep it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
proringz said:
You don't really have to do 1-2 hours everyday as some people say. It depends on how much you understand the topic and are able to answer related questions. For some people, only 1 hour every 3 days may work, for others, it may require a lot more. My advice is; take Ext 2 Maths, see how you go and if you are finding it alright without having to spend 4 hours every night trying to understand one thing then keep it.
i think that i'd spend a few hours on it, i found 2u maths easy but i still spent a few hours on it a day.

shaon0

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
i think that i'd spend a few hours on it, i found 2u maths easy but i still spent a few hours on it a day.
wow, few hours a day on 2unit maths...how did you do that?
Most people i've asked do the same as me. barely anything

M@ster P

HSC
-Anfernee- said:
yeah , like 2-4 hours a day depending on how dumb you are.

It'll be a big advantage to have done 4 unit maths in uni as most Engineering and Science courses have a lot of 4 unit content in the first year.
You will definitely be at a disadvantage if you don't do 4 unit..
I don't think you would be disadvantaged if you do the 4 unit topics that are related to engineering such as complex numbers and a some others before you start uni (during that 3 or 4 month break after hsc). I don't think anyone can party for 3 months straight so why not start doing some work before you start uni.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
shaon0 said:
wow, few hours a day on 2unit maths...how did you do that?
Most people i've asked do the same as me. barely anything
well our school is very competitive in maths and it helps to do a bit more than other people, even doing a few hours a day didn't come close to first not that i was going for it

shaon0

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
well our school is very competitive in maths and it helps to do a bit more than other people, even doing a few hours a day didn't come close to first not that i was going for it
Which school do you go to?

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Hmmm...
Still choosing between:
MX2
German ext
History ext

I know I can do well in German, but history and maths will really improve my marks in their individual subjects.

MX2 scales the best, right?

friction

HSC
MX2 Scales easily the best out of any subject and the closest to it is MX1. I would suggest doing Ext 2 as it scales so well and you will probably like doing it if you want to do engineering so it will be easier to study for.

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
micuzzo said:
Hi i am considering taking 4u maths and just had some gerneral questions... how many hours a day would most people study for 4u...

also... a teacher told me that 4u should be done by people who are considering tkaing a science based course at uni such as engineering, as it will help them greatly.... is this true??

thanks for your help...
i do 4u and i only spend about 30 mins a day doing 4u. i was int he same position as u last year and i didnt know whether i should because i thought it would be too hard, but no its really worth it, u should definitely do it. plus if its too difficult u can always drop it.

YannY

HSC
micuzzo said:
Hi i am considering taking 4u maths and just had some gerneral questions... how many hours a day would most people study for 4u...

also... a teacher told me that 4u should be done by people who are considering tkaing a science based course at uni such as engineering, as it will help them greatly.... is this true??

thanks for your help...
Imo, it depends how good you are at maths and how much time you will spend on it.

But if you are willing to do well in the HSC and thus in your school subjects then i suggest 4unit maths as its imo the best scaled subject. (some people argue extension languages scale better.. true it does scale better however extension language will only help your scaling by 1 unit and yet you will need to learn a whole new language whereas maths will scale you up for 4units since 3unit maths has exceptional scaling too.)

LoL if you plan to bludge in year 12 dont do 4unit cause you cant guess the questions like chem or phys where there are multiple choice questions. Do ez subjects if you plan to bludge.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
friction said:
MX2 Scales easily the best out of any subject and the closest to it is MX1. I would suggest doing Ext 2 as it scales so well and you will probably like doing it if you want to do engineering so it will be easier to study for.
4unit is the highest scaling subject, but 3unit isn't second highest scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)