Terror raids (1 Viewer)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
my mate thinks its all a conspiracy by the govt to promote the law.

what the fuck has conspiracy theorists and michael moore done to peoples minds??

not everything is a fucking conspiracy.

and why the fuck should we be easygoing with suspected terrorists? If they are stupid enough to say something or do something to arouse police suspicion they at least deserve to be scared for a couple of days while the law proves either their guilt or their innocence.

Starlette

HSC
This maybe off topic a bit,

But did anyone notice the perfect timing of the raids? Funny how they conduct the raids just in time for the new anti terror laws to go to parliament (correct me if im wrong here)

I'm sorta sceptical about these "suspect terrorist" but it could be the governments scare tactic, to arouse fear and paranioa in the public, consequently gaining support for these new "anti terror laws"

Starlette

HSC
Opps i should have read the whole thread before i posted!

Someone already said the exact same thing...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Starlette said:

But did anyone notice the perfect timing of the raids? Funny how they conduct the raids just in time for the new anti terror laws to go to parliament (correct me if im wrong here)

I'm sorta sceptical about these "suspect terrorist" but it could be the governments scare tactic, to arouse fear and paranioa in the public, consequently gaining support for these new "anti terror laws"
What you are claiming would require a huge conspiracy at almost every level of the government, and the police.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Starlette said:

Really there is no reason for them to go to such lengths to increase support for the anti -terror bills. Recent opinion polls last month shows 70% of th epopulation supported them. Labor will support their passage, and they have the blessing of all the state premiers.....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Its not like the government hasn't manipulated us before.

Its just ironic of the timing
Can you listen to what i'm saying and respond to it?

a) what you are suggesting would require a huge conspiracy, involving tens of thousands of people.
b) they have no need to get more support, the majority of the country usually support security bills.
c) labor supported them.

You are wrong, please stop your claims.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Not really, all governments from all countries have a history of doing actions in time for other actions. It's just good politics to do so to keep the public opinion away from unpopular things. This is espically true for 2 party elections who are based on popular vote. It's just naive to think that the government doesn't work policies in at times which will protect their public opinion.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Not really, all governments from all countries have a history of doing actions in time for other actions. It's just good politics to do so to keep the public opinion away from unpopular things. This is espically true for 2 party elections who are based on popular vote. It's just naive to think that the government doesn't work policies in at times which will protect their public opinion.
Can you apply this to the situation at hand?

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
also the muslims are being caught due to the introcudtion of the Act...before the authorites werent allowed to do it ..hence no muslims caught....starlett u have to look at things in progressive logical order..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No, the current situation...............
Yes, the government has manipulated before.
However, you can not in any way justify your claims that this is a huge conspiracy.

SGS05

HSC
Im sure the government is doing this for the benifit of the country. Its not like theyre out to get us or to take over australia or anything.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Can you listen to what i'm saying and respond to it?

a) what you are suggesting would require a huge conspiracy, involving tens of thousands of people.
b) they have no need to get more support, the majority of the country usually support security bills.
c) labor supported them.

You are wrong, please stop your claims.
Well I doubt the raids were in order to take the heat off IR. But for the government the timing is rather helpful.

Starlette said:
"Can you apply this to the situation at hand?"

The children overboard crisis before the elections
It is true that the Howard seems to have a issue with the truth. Certainly it was shown that Howard misled the public on children overboard. His ministers knew the truth. The intelligence memo detailing what happened was on John Howards and Peter Reiths table for them to read before they went out and told naughty lies about boat people seeking to morally blackmail Australia.

Not to mention the rather overt linking of terrorism with boat people and Sept 11. With government ministers out there suggesting that terrorists would come to Australia in boats.

The sad thing is that the Australia population bought it because the substantial fear of 'the other'. Ironically all those arrested yesterday didn't come here on boats. They most probably came through Sydney airport while the govermment was spending millions on making sure asylum seekers, many of whom were found to be legitimate, away from Australia. Pleasing the ignorant and the redneck.

Even more scary was that the government was more concerned about people in sinking boats rather than ensuring national security at our main ports and airports. They were more concerned about popularism than national security. More concerned about playing up peoples fear of terrorism at the expense of genuine asylum seekers rather than boosting security at airports (the Howard government only boosted airport security this year).

It is hard to like a government that puts populism before national security.

Last edited:

Lozacious

Banned
HSC
erawamai said:
Well I doubt the raids were in order to take the heat off IR. But for the government the timing is rather helpful.
Yeh with the federal election coming up in the next few days.
erawamai said:
It is true that the Howard seems to have a issue with the truth.
He's a liar. Better not trust him. He REALLY mislead the Astrayan! PUBLEEK on this af-air didn hEE! :rolleyes: I'm sure most Australians regret that those refugees were held in deplorable conditions on the Tampa.. I really do.. no REALLY.
erawamai said:
Not to mention the rather overt linking of terrorism with boat people and Sept 11. With government ministers out there suggesting that terrorists would come to Australia in boats.
Those that are from the middle east, are, linked to terrorism.
erawamai said:
The sad thing is that the Australia population bought it because the substantial fear of 'the other'.
A fear which shall never disintegrate.
erawamai said:
Ironically all those arrested yesterday didn't come here on boats.
That isn't ironic.
erawamai said:
They most probably came through Sydney airport while the govermment was spending millions on making sure asylum seekers, many of whom were found to be legitimate, away from Australia. Pleasing the ignorant and the redneck.
Australians like to think that they have control over their immigration.. I know it's a crazy fantasy, but they at least like to *think* they do.
erawamai said:
Even more scary was that the government was more concerned about people in sinking boats rather than ensuring national security at our main ports and airports.
At least the ones at the airport are recognised.
erawamai said:
They were more concerned about popularism than national security.
No, it saw a national security issue which existed, and addressed it.
erawamai said:
More concerned about playing up peoples fear of terrorism at the expense of genuine asylum seekers rather than boosting security at airports (the Howard government only boosted airport security this year).
Genuine assylum seekers? Ones that travelled over 20 countries to get to Australia?
erawamai said:
It is hard to like a government that puts populism before national security.
This forum needs a raised eyebrow emoticon installed.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wow...are you amazingly dumb. I can't help but laugh at the fact you know nothing. Don't you ever sit back and think 'wow I really know nothing at all...plus I'm really fucked up...I'm actually so stupid that I can't even address any of the issues presented to me on the forum. All I do is winge about the left when I don't actually know what the left is. Actually thats all I have to say in this forum. The left is evil. I then repeat this at least 8 times in each post. I then troll to mask the fact that I know little about the great white nation in which we live. I also am too lazy to actually learn about and advance it.'

I mean you can't even argue from an intelligent far right perspective. Sadly there are people out there that can actually argue your POV. You can only do it by making juvinile jokes and not addressing the question or issue.

Last edited:

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
The government are electorally pragmatic, it works to our advantage because they are acting in our best interests so that in turn we support them. Do you really think they would place anything above national security? That is one of the main concerns of the general public and our main concern = their main concern. If they don't up the ante in national security and allow any slip ups then they also lose out.

It is stupid to say that they place populism above national security. I feel they are doing a good job, and no i am not a victim of hegemony.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Even more scary was that the government was more concerned about people in sinking boats rather than ensuring national security at our main ports and airports.
You actually would support beefing up security at our main ports and airports? Racial profiling?

They were more concerned about popularism than national security.
Well, I don't think it's a completely unjustified argument to say that making it hard for muslims to get into Australia is in the best interest of national security. While I am aware that alot of these people are poor people, in unfortunate conditions.. but I would be willing to wager that alot of the muslims in Australia are 1st or 2nd generation muslims and that their separation from the mainstream culture is leading us down a shaky path - Particulary in these times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)