• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

That Tony Ferguson diet from Terry White...what do you think? (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
from memory its a protein diet.. lik the CSIRO one.. cept.. its in the form of shakes..

exercise... and get smaller plates :)

in terms of short term.. the weight loss is effective to curb diabetes M. type 2 and reduce heart disease risk... but u need to keep the weight off and maintain a sustainable reduction in the weight..

my solution: $12K... and a rubber band :D... lap banding bitches

NinjaSauce

HSC
I will concede; I will agree that i do not know any supplement that will make a decent noticeable effect on weight loss, except simple honest good food.

But...

katie_tully said:
And I will continue with my statement; if you are eating a nutritionally balanced diet then 'nutritional supplements' are useless. You don't need them and they don't speed up weight loss.

The only supplements you should be on are the ones prescribed by your doctor, like iron supplements for anaemics.
Lets take weight loss out of the picture, and just say supplements for the sake of supplements. I'm not trying to loss weight, haven't for a while now, but i do take a multitude of supplements, and (like MANY others) will swear by them.

Whey Protein - Convenience. And if anyone tries to deny the effects of post-workout shakes, so help me; I'll smite you where you stand.

Multi-Vitamin - Not worth arguing against. Medical research is pretty much agreed they are good (assuming you pick a good one). Harvard medical is one of the major proponents.

Fish Oil - More than enough research on this. Hell, i don't need the research, i can feel the effects in my joints if i fail to take this (high dosage) for extended periods of time. Great for about 1,000,000 other things too. Actually, i think that includes weight lose too...

Zinc + Magnesium - Now we get to the 'iffy' category. Zinc and Magnesium is easily the BEST supplement I take. There is no placebo, or "take for a month and try to remember if something changed". You can feel this. I take it before bed, and i sleep like a rock, and DEEEEEEP. The next morning, my muscles feel awesome. Zinc and magnesium reduce cramping and accelerate muscle repair.

So...

For weight loss, sure, limited application. But general health? HEAPS.

K

katie_tully

What thread do you think we're in?

If you read the thread you'd know we're talking about the use of nutritional supplements in weight loss = useless.

I'm going to work so I cbf debating the merits of supplements just yet, I'll do it this arvo.

mzduxx2006

HSC
xxJTxx said:
HEYYY alll...!! :D

im not like obese or anything..just packed on a few too many extra kilo's from sitting on my ass studying and not doing anything physical during year 12..

do you think that the tony ferguson diet would be a bit extreme for someone in my position?

im joining a gym..well i used to be a member before year 12 started..and looked a lot less chubbier then i currently do...

the ferguson diet seems to make the whole diet aspect so much easier (you only have to manage to make yourself dinner each day, and be able to make a simple snack inbetween shakes)...

two problems:
i) the advertisements for it:
- all feature morbidly obese people
- it seems to be targeted at WOMEN
ii) it doesn't seem nutritious? those shakes and soups must be full of preservatives?

maybe just dieting 'normally' i.e. cutting portion sizes..eating balanced..would be better?

i don't mind investing $500 - $700 in a diet program..if it can give me a kickstart to losing the chubbiness!

THANKS in advanced! :)
im not here to tell you want to do. only to express my opinion on the matter since that is what you have asked. i used to be, about 5 years ago, 89 kilograms and a size 18. and for a girl thats 165 cm that equals = fat shyt. so aniways i considered doing that whole tony ferguson shyt aswell but then i didnt cause i cbf spending all that money. so i just ate healthily--> i didnt cut carbs out completely and all that rubbish, and i walked for about an hour each morning around my suburb. aniways i lost all the weight within a year period and i am now 60kg, 165 cm and a size 8 (mainly cause im a little toned and muslce weighs more than fat). in conclusion, dont bother wasting your time with the shakes and such because once you are off them, most likely you will pile the weight back on. You need to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle, remember the key here is healthy not skinny.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Whey Protein- Acts as an appetite suppressant.. but so would lean meat.

Multi-Vitamin- this is not recommended in lieu of the 5 vegs and 2 fruit /day.. unless ure deficient. The second United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), report states the evidence is not solid to indicate a minimisation of mortality or disease.

Fish Oil- This is indicated at 10mL for prevention of arthritis pain and 5mL for cardiovascular effect. tats about 2-4 tabs of most brands.. or drink the syrup. ;)

Zinc + Magnesium- Zinc is not indicated for weight loss assistance.. tats why the labels are very careful with what they say. Magnesium is used for muscle cramps... the last study was conducted in 1983... rarely are either of these in shortage cos the body can last on very trace levels for a very long time.. they will lighten ure wallet tho :).

I use some of these supplements but there is a level of placebo.. its those with other diseases that must watch out cos they may affect the current body balance. Such as Zinc has been known to cause copper deficiency cos the body compensates for the high zinc levels.

things lik iron tablets are not always in the right form either one brand needed sumfing lik 50 tablets to fulfil the RDI for iron.. that means that 1 tablet was 2% of RDI for a women. Women usually are the main consumers of this 'alternatives' esp vegetarians or those with low iron intake and heavy cycles.

I dun care if u smite me.. but being a false prophet for the vulnerable is just wrong esp with dodgy science. I have to agree with katie_tully here

quik.

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Whey Protein- Acts as an appetite suppressant.. but so would lean meat.

Multi-Vitamin- this is not recommended in lieu of the 5 vegs and 2 fruit /day.. unless ure deficient. The second United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), report states the evidence is not solid to indicate a minimisation of mortality or disease.

Fish Oil- This is indicated at 10mL for prevention of arthritis pain and 5mL for cardiovascular effect. tats about 2-4 tabs of most brands.. or drink the syrup. ;)

Zinc + Magnesium- Zinc is not indicated for weight loss assistance.. tats why the labels are very careful with what they say. Magnesium is used for muscle cramps... the last study was conducted in 1983... rarely are either of these in shortage cos the body can last on very trace levels for a very long time.. they will lighten ure wallet tho :).
Seeing as all the cool kids are doing it :]

Whey protein - like NinjaSauce said, if you're trying to bulk up, this is invaluable. I don't think it suppresses appetite though, it's powder.. if you have it in a big shake with bananas milk yogurt and all that, then yeah it will be somewhat filling, but I drink it straight in water and will happily chow down anytime after.

Multi V - I don't take one, never have, and I would say that yeah, if you eat well you don't necessarily need one.

Fish Oil - If i could afford it, I would pop quality fish oil tabs like candy. Heaps of benefits from them.

Zinc + Magnesium - I take these, my reason being because low levels affect testosterone. Can't say I've read much more into them than that.

The two I could see being used in weight loss are the whey and fish oil. A quality protein powder will give you a good amount of protein with little accessory calories. One of the main focuses of weight loss should be retaining muscle, to do that you should be exercising, and after exercise the muscles are starving. Couple scoops of powder, a scoop of gatorade, water and bam you have your post workout drink. The calories in there are neglible at best, especially considering the time at which they were taken.

With fish oil, oh my so much goodness. I'll just stay on the anti-inflammatory properties for now. Less calories than your body is used to can lead to feeling pretty shitty, x10 after working out etc. Avoiding that is, well.. good. However it is recommended that you get the fatty acids etc present in fish oil from actual fish if you can.

I don't think either of these is mandatory in a weight loss plan, although I think the whey protein is pretty close.

K

katie_tully

If it's the same diet I'm thinking of, read this;
'The excess fat is being burned up' by a group of substances called ketones'

Blah blah, so on so forth; 'Ketones have an appetite supressing effect'
'Ketones in the urine indicate a correctly balanced diet'

I always thought that if you went into ketosis is was because you were 'starving' yourself, but poindexter might be better equipped to comment on that.

K

katie_tully

Lets take weight loss out of the picture, and just say supplements for the sake of supplements. I'm not trying to loss weight, haven't for a while now, but i do take a multitude of supplements, and (like MANY others) will swear by them.

Whey Protein - Convenience. And if anyone tries to deny the effects of post-workout shakes, so help me; I'll smite you where you stand.

Multi-Vitamin - Not worth arguing against. Medical research is pretty much agreed they are good (assuming you pick a good one). Harvard medical is one of the major proponents.

Fish Oil - More than enough research on this. Hell, i don't need the research, i can feel the effects in my joints if i fail to take this (high dosage) for extended periods of time. Great for about 1,000,000 other things too. Actually, i think that includes weight lose too...

Zinc + Magnesium - Now we get to the 'iffy' category. Zinc and Magnesium is easily the BEST supplement I take. There is no placebo, or "take for a month and try to remember if something changed". You can feel this. I take it before bed, and i sleep like a rock, and DEEEEEEP. The next morning, my muscles feel awesome. Zinc and magnesium reduce cramping and accelerate muscle repair.

So...

For weight loss, sure, limited application. But general health? HEAPS.
Gosh, where do I start.
Whey Protein; Forget body builders, the average person doesn't need to take whey protein supplements if they're eating a balanced diet. A balanced diet should already consist of enough lean meat, cheese and eggs to assist the average person with muscle development. That said, whey proteins are often used by people with digestive problems because it's easily digested by the body, but meh.
MultiVitamin; K, I think you better read your sources again. Most credible things I can find say multivitamins are only worth taking if you have some dietary imbalance or some problem where you cannot digest certain foods properly. Also when you purport the benefits of multivitamins misguidedly, you're endangering people. It's easy to take too many vitamins and overload your body, especially with Vitamin C. Also pregnant women are not advised to take any supplements unless it's foelic acid.
Fish Oil; Also known as omega 3 fatty acids! Known to be beneficial to the 'mind' (ie. has shown to have effects on Alzheimers disease, etc. Fish oil supplements have been under fire lately and also increased intake of certain predatory fish has lead to mercury warnings. But on the whole, you're much better off eating a diet rich in seafood as opposed to fish oil supplements.
Zinc + Magnesium; k. whatever.

quik.

HSC
katie_tully said:
If it's the same diet I'm thinking of, read this;
'The excess fat is being burned up' by a group of substances called ketones'

Blah blah, so on so forth; 'Ketones have an appetite supressing effect'
'Ketones in the urine indicate a correctly balanced diet'

I always thought that if you went into ketosis is was because you were 'starving' yourself, but poindexter might be better equipped to comment on that.
Ketonic diets get your body to switch main fuel sources, from carbs to fats. Generally you feel like a violated anus the first two weeks and then its all good.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
katie_tully said:
Yeah you get ketotic with whey.. u do feel fucked and u mess ure acid base balance... and then u collapse and then the govt gives me money for new rims on my car :D

fuck it.. my new rule is.. take unproven things in mass quantities.. and goto quacks :)

i realised by helping.. i minimise my idiot clientele but they are the only way i can one day pay my mortgage and get my new sofa...

im so gettin a new Ps3

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
katie_tully said:
Gosh, where do I start.
yeah vitamin A can cause Birth defects..

Vitamin C in massive amounts causes terrible diarrhoea too

ummmmmm fish oil.. has the problem of heavy metal poisoning... but meh... mercury only causes madness

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
katie_tully said:
Gosh, where do I start.
Whey Protein; Forget body builders, the average person doesn't need to take whey protein supplements if they're eating a balanced diet. A balanced diet should already consist of enough lean meat, cheese and eggs to assist the average person with muscle development. That said, whey proteins are often used by people with digestive problems because it's easily digested by the body, but meh.
MultiVitamin; K, I think you better read your sources again. Most credible things I can find say multivitamins are only worth taking if you have some dietary imbalance or some problem where you cannot digest certain foods properly. Also when you purport the benefits of multivitamins misguidedly, you're endangering people. It's easy to take too many vitamins and overload your body, especially with Vitamin C. Also pregnant women are not advised to take any supplements unless it's foelic acid.
Fish Oil; Also known as omega 3 fatty acids! Known to be beneficial to the 'mind' (ie. has shown to have effects on Alzheimers disease, etc. Fish oil supplements have been under fire lately and also increased intake of certain predatory fish has lead to mercury warnings. But on the whole, you're much better off eating a diet rich in seafood as opposed to fish oil supplements.
Zinc + Magnesium; k. whatever.
I dont understnad? The 'average' person over say over the age of 16 cant increase lean muscle mass without an significant increase in protein intake. Whey is natural, quick and very safe.

It is very hard to consume the vast array of nutrients the human body needs to perform at its peak. Multivitamins are fine.

Yeah, predatory fish such as snapper, swordish, shark are a few i think. Saying that, the only danger this imposes is on young children who are fed too much of this fish.

Why are fish oil supplements under fire? Most fish oil supps sold are sourced from Salmon, Cod or Tuna. which have low levls of mercury.

if u aren't getting 3 servings of fish are week take fish oil supps, good for the heart and head.

K

katie_tully

I shant go through it again.
Read the literature, not bodybuilding websites. It's easy to add a sufficient amount of protein into your diet for muscle development without taking supplements. FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON, NOT A BODY BUILDER. ARE WE COMPRENDE?
Taking them because you think you need them, or because some wank saw them advertised in a magazine is going to make you regret it in a few years.

Yeah you get ketotic with whey.. u do feel fucked and u mess ure acid base balance... and then u collapse and then the govt gives me money for new rims on my car

fuck it.. my new rule is.. take unproven things in mass quantities.. and goto quacks

i realised by helping.. i minimise my idiot clientele but they are the only way i can one day pay my mortgage and get my new sofa...

im so gettin a new Ps3
Gosh, how about you diagnose them and then send them my way for some blood work. Spread the love.

Evilo

HSC
NinjaSauce said:
Eat Less, Move More.

PM me, and i'll send you my bank account details to transfer me $500.
I thought the same thing too.

fuck going to terry white. Everyone knows that if you want to lose weight you eat less and exercise more. I don't need to pay a pharmacist to tell me that. If you're keen then you will lose weight, if you're not - then thats life bc you're lazy.

Reminds me of all those "lose weight fast" schemes - fuck that shit, just get off the couch, put down the ice cream, and do some walking

Evilo

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah vitamin A can cause Birth defects..

Vitamin C in massive amounts causes terrible diarrhoea too

ummmmmm fish oil.. has the problem of heavy metal poisoning... but meh... mercury only causes madness
Anything in massive amounts can cause damage. I remember last year a person dying from drinking too much water in a competition. Plus i thought any "excess" vitamins would just come out in your piss anyway?

K

katie_tully

Plus i thought any "excess" vitamins would just come out in your piss anyway?
Yes and no. Side effects vary.
Like if you take too much vitamin C you poop a lot
Vitamins are broken into fat soluble and water soluble. Fat soluble are stored in the body longer and therefore if you consume too much there is more likely to be side effects, as opposed to water soluble.

K

katie_tully

That said, it actually doesn't take a lot to 'overdose' yourself on something like Vitamin C.

quik.

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Yeah you get ketotic with whey.. u do feel fucked and u mess ure acid base balance... and then u collapse and then the govt gives me money for new rims on my car :D

How on earth do you go into ketosis using whey? That's retarded.

If you're a pt or whatever, goddam.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
katie_tully said:
That said, it actually doesn't take a lot to 'overdose' yourself on something like Vitamin C.
yeah its like >1000mg/day oral consumption can lead to renal stones
the diarrhoea is about 4000mg/ day... .. linus pauling use to tell ppl to take lik 10000mg.. but its water soluble.. its not too bad.. causes the osmotic diarrhoea..

yes ill send plenty of tests :)... OooOOoOOoo if they look lik they can waste the money on protein supplements :p ill bill them privately too lol... that will mean.. ull be gettin new pretty stuff!!!

Quik: the lack of simple sugars... lead to break down of protein and fats right??... but these are hard to break down esp if ur not 'healthy' like if ure starving ureself...ur body forms the ketone acids..
after about 40 hrs u can make some people ketotic just on starving alone... some older ppl its less its lik 12 hrs.. this is why both the 40 hr famine and ramadan.. when u fast there are exceptions cos ppl can get very sick.. lik deadly sick.. some ppl vomit heaps.. other hyperventilate.. others have kidney problems..
i know normal ppl tat can get ketotic after 4 hrs.... early morning sports... they get nausea and vomit ;) cos of the excess acids..

Evilo: massive is too subjective.. ppl have taken panadol.. in wat i would consider massive doses.. >8 per day... tats a huge dose to me .... the vitamin C is a pretti ok.. its things lik vitamin E tat i worry about and A...

katie_tully: i could easily advertise that drinking ure own ejaculate is 'good' for u based on some assumptions of these guys lol.... it would be interesting to find out that a heap of these guys would do it .... "Sperm: the protein shake of nature "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)