The 2015 CRICKET World Cup Thread (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win the 2015 Cricket World Cup?

• Total voters

mreditor16

HSC
I don't think it's uncommon for pace bowlers to have a demeanour like Johnson and Starc do, i.e. bravado. Warner hasn't been perfect, I can admit, but I think the times he's gone wrong has been a result of having a lack of tact/control rather than being arrogant. He's an impulsive individual with an abundance of energy, it's clear from the intensity in when he bats, but I would never say I've seen him act overly arrogant when batting. I'm trying to be as objective as possible here, since I don't really adore some of the Australian players.
Tbh though trent boult has been doing just as well and bowling with aggression, but the way he carries himself and celebrates his wickets has been very appealing to me - much more dignified, composed and respectful and not overpumped. And still batsmen are cautious of him. Good quality bowling should be more than enough aggression to get the batsmen questioning themself etc

but yes I would agree Warner, Johnson and Starc have exhibited a significant lack of tact and control

buriza

conviction
HSC
Tbh though trent boult has been doing just as well and bowling with aggression, but the way he carries himself and celebrates his wickets has been very appealing to me - much more dignified, composed and respectful and not overpumped. And still batsmen are cautious of him. Good quality bowling should be more than enough aggression to get the batsmen questioning themself etc

but yes I would agree Warner, Johnson and Starc have exhibited a significant lack of tact and control
I never said all three exhibited a significant lack of tact and control. I never even said that for Warner, I said that he did at times. Also to be frank the times I've seen Johnson and Starc celebrate, it's never been as outrageous as Steyn's celebrations (who happens to be my favourite bowler). It's not like the bowlers are really meaning to appear like dickheads or something like that with their demeanours, it's to try and play with the minds of the batsmen they're facing against. I think it's not really apt to try and take personality characteristics just out of how some pace bowlers celebrate in the heat of the moment. After all, in the end bowlers bowl to get people out, what's so bad about some of them being more expressive about it than others?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

it's part of the game though

aggressive bowling including an "in your face" demeanour is fantastic entertainment (remember, a crowd watches the game too), increases the morale of supporters as well as the team and serves to kinda "shake" the confidence of the opposing team. The only time I would ever say it's bad is if it starts getting particularly nasty and abusive, but a bit of mind game is great for the sport. Sport in general is just as much about the tactics and mental dimension as it is about the physical aspect of it. I think sledging has every right to be in the game too, again within reason. No one wants cricket to become that sport where a player has a cry over another player "scaring" them just by having a strong celebration.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it's uncommon for pace bowlers to have a demeanour like Johnson and Starc do, i.e. bravado. Warner hasn't been perfect, I can admit, but I think the times he's gone wrong has been a result of having a lack of tact/control rather than being arrogant. He's an impulsive individual with an abundance of energy, it's clear from the intensity in when he bats, but I would never say I've seen him act overly arrogant when batting. I'm trying to be as objective as possible here, since I don't really adore some of the Australian players.
Just take a look at the South Africans or New Zealanders and you will see what I mean.

They are much more humble and modest , in the way they speak and by their expressions

THEY ALSO GO ABOUT THEIR CRICKET WITH NO SLEDGIN AND SHIT TALKING

I stand by my opinion haha

(And I've been watching cricket for a long time )

buriza

conviction
HSC
Just take a look at the South Africans or New Zealanders and you will see what I mean.

They are much more humble and modest , in the way they speak and by their expressions

"Just take a look at the South Africans." Yeah, I'm a fan of South Africa. And your point? Refer to me talking about how Steyn celebrates after he takes a wicket. It's far more outrageous than most of the bowlers I've seen in the present day, so if we want to talk about how pace bowlers act, you can't ignore that Steyn is up there for displaying a massive bravado. If we were to go back further in cricketing history, bowlers used to be a lot more aggressive and frightening in how they acted, not to mention a lot more "crueller" so to say in how they targeted batsmen (i.e. West Indies back in the day). Also it's not like that on occasion South Africa hasn't displayed some complacency in their mannerisms, they have been particularly highly regarded recently, so that's going to inevitably come with it.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

have u not seen steyn lol? Or duminy?

mreditor16

HSC
I never said all three exhibited a significant lack of tact and control. I never even said that for Warner, I said that he did at times. Also to be frank the times I've seen Johnson and Starc celebrate, it's never been as outrageous as Steyn's celebrations (who happens to be my favourite bowler). It's not like the bowlers are really meaning to appear like dickheads or something like that with their demeanours, it's to try and play with the minds of the batsmen they're facing against. I think it's not really apt to try and take personality characteristics just out of how some pace bowlers celebrate in the heat of the moment. After all, in the end bowlers bowl to get people out, what's so bad about some of them being more expressive about it than others?

aggressive bowling including an "in your face" demeanour is fantastic entertainment (remember, a crowd watches the game too), increases the morale of supporters as well as the team and serves to kinda "shake" the confidence of the opposing team. The only time I would ever say it's bad is if it starts getting particularly nasty and abusive, but a bit of mind game is great for the sport. Sport in general is just as much about the tactics and mental dimension as it is about the physical aspect of it. I think sledging has every right to be in the game too, again within reason. No one wants cricket to become that sport where a player has a cry over another player "scaring" them just by having a strong celebration.
hmm that's very true guys. maybe my problem lies in the aspect that maybe all this has moved a bit too much for my liking imo to the excessive side of the spectrum from the desirable centre. like I also enjoy and think the mental aspect is important and ofc who doesn't like a bit of sledging?

its an interesting issue this...

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
"Just take a look at the South Africans." Yeah, I'm a fan of South Africa. And your point? Refer to me talking about how Steyn celebrates after he takes a wicket. It's far more outrageous than most of the bowlers I've seen in the present day, so if we want to talk about how pace bowlers act, you can't ignore that Steyn is up there for displaying a massive bravado. If we were to go back further in cricketing history, bowlers used to be a lot more aggressive and frightening in how they acted, not to mention a lot more "crueller" so to say in how they targeted batsmen (i.e. West Indies back in the day). Also it's not like that on occasion South Africa hasn't displayed some complacency in their mannerisms, they have been particularly highly regarded recently, so that's going to inevitably come with it.
which is why they were such a joy to watch, not to mention they were still highly respected by the cricketing world (because they knew it was not a personal thing but part of the mental game). Old skool windies were also an incredibly, INCREDIBLY strong team

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
hmm that's very true guys. maybe my problem lies in the aspect that maybe all this has moved a bit too much for my liking imo to the excessive side of the spectrum from the desirable centre. like I also enjoy and think the mental aspect is important and ofc who doesn't like a bit of sledging?

its an interesting issue this...
imo it's just a personal preference thing and I don't have an issue with people not liking it so long as it doesn't impact the game (i.e. they give stupid fines or sledging/banter/celebrations become restricted to a silly level)

buriza

conviction
HSC

Basically this.

which is why they were such a joy to watch, not to mention they were still highly respected by the cricketing world (because they knew it was not a personal thing but part of the mental game). Old skool windies were also an incredibly, INCREDIBLY strong team
Exactly, I completely agree.

mreditor16

HSC
imo it's just a personal preference thing and I don't have an issue with people not liking it so long as it doesn't impact the game (i.e. they give stupid fines or sledging/banter/celebrations become restricted to a silly level)
hear hear

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright , you guys have a point , I guess it's just personal preference :haha:

Cricket "a gentlemans game" :p

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
I swear this is said more about tennis or golf these days hahahaha.
It is hahaha

But yeah, cricket historically was known to be a gentlemans game because in the 17 or 18 hundreds , they defend that it should be played in a "gentleman" manner, no tamper tantrums , no excessive appealing and with no sledging

(Sledging was started by the Australians in the 1960s...)

Nowadays , it doesn't really reflect that much

mreditor16

HSC
lol the streaker just before the anthems. got so close LOL

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Sucks that NZ didn't get the chance to play on Australian pitches at all until the final

buriza

conviction
HSC
Sucks that NZ didn't get the chance to play on Australian pitches at all until the final
Yeah but then you can wonder whether or not they would've even gotten to the final if they didn't have all their games at home. So.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yeah but then you can wonder whether or not they would've even gotten to the final if they didn't have all their games at home. So.
The same can be said for Australia tbh. The home ground advantage will always be there. The 2011 world cup final also consisted of the two host countries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)